SVO ....Small Vehicle Overlanding

• HTML tutorial

58-fc170

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Anyone go old school and try something like the 2 door AWD AMC Eagles? Excellent ground clearance, low center of gravity and short wheel base, not sure on mpg though.

or the 4 door version

Yeah I am an stuck in the past :(.

My 1958 fc-170 build in progress is a 103" wheel base factory so that puts it in the SVO category as its shorter than a Jeep compass or kia sportage. But I'll bow out as it has a 9 ft bed so storage isn't an issue.

Last edited:

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
Anyone added/upgraded front recovery points on an older Escape? My primary rigs are my Jeeps, but alas, I had to yank a Tundra last week down in civilization with the Rustwagon. I carry all the recovery basics, and wound up wrapping my recovery straps on the "T" of the frame in front; I don't trust those thin tow points as far as I throw them. This was an easier task than on most Escapes, as my dog ripped the plastic front air dam off getting a woodrat, but still a messy proposition crawling under, really fun in a skirt!

I have a shackled receiver hitch for the back, but wanted to use my reverse for a lower gearing getting this guy out.26170378_2011908542157888_5642295132405393082_o.jpg

toastertown

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have a 2016 Renegade, it's perfect for my uses and quite capable given it's size and cost. Fully stock now but plan to add the following minor updates:
1. AT tires (likely need to downsize the 18" wheels first)
2. Roof basket (need to find one that doesn't interfere with the removable MySky roof)

Hoping to find some good southern/central New England trails Class IV roads

Reactions: Luis Merlo

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

I have a 2016 Renegade, it's perfect for my uses and quite capable given it's size and cost. Fully stock now but plan to add the following minor updates:
1. AT tires (likely need to downsize the 18" wheels first)
2. Roof basket (need to find one that doesn't interfere with the removable MySky roof)

Hoping to find some good southern/central New England trails Class IV roads
Always good to see another Renegade owner. I've got 16" wheels on mine with 225/75R16 KO2 tires. No roof rack yet, but I hope to have a winch installed this weekend.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I saw this vehicle the other day and thought of this thread:

And no, I haven't checked the entire thread to see if it is already in here. My apologies if this has been beat to death. It looks like a fun package. Much too small for my family of 5, but great for one person and maybe two.

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

And no, I haven't checked the entire thread to see if it is already in here. My apologies if this has been beat to death. It looks like a fun package. Much too small for my family of 5, but great for one person and maybe two.

Love the Isuzu VehiCross. A very unusual vehicle, the rear gate opens to either side of the vehicle. And from what I understand it is a capable little off roader.

Would love to get one if I could.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM

Wow! :openmouth: Now that is the smallest overland vehicle I have ever seen. I think it's missing an OB badge on it? :sunglasses:

Reactions: Luis Merlo

Luis Merlo

OB1962

Influencer II

Collingwood Park, Queensland,4301
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Merlo
Member #

wow...

Reactions: F-Bobby

csilv

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Ana, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Silverberg
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6IOS
It's been a little while since I've posted, so I thought I'd share an update. Work continues on my 2016 Jeep Renegade. Some recent additions:

- Front Runner roof rack
- Front Runner roof-top tent (not pictured)
- Valkyrie Limb risers
- Valkyrie Ladder
- Teraflex 1.5" lift
- Cobra CB and Firestik antenna.
- Overland bound emblems :-)

I'm sure I'm missing things, but you get the idea. I have a seemingly endless list of potential improvements... I need to build up my inventory of recovery gear and camping equipment, and the Renegade aftermarket is starting to really take off... currently considering a new front bumper and winch. I could always use more lighting, particularly rock lights.

Happy to answer any Renegade specific questions here or via private message.

IMG_5390.jpg IMG_5497.jpg IMG_5502.jpg
IMG_5355.jpg

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
It's been a little while since I've posted, so I thought I'd share an update. Work continues on my 2016 Jeep Renegade. Some recent additions:

- Front Runner roof rack
- Valkyrie Limb risers
- Valkyrie Ladder
- Teraflex 1.5" lift

I'm sure I'm missing things, but you get the idea. I have a seemingly endless list of potential improvements... I need to build up my inventory of recovery gear and camping equipment, and the Renegade aftermarket is starting to really take off... currently considering a new front bumper and winch. I could always use more lighting, particularly rock lights.

View attachment 48018 View attachment 48020 View attachment 48021
View attachment 48017
Sweet looking rig. I like the black accents against the red.

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

Ha I am parked behind that taco at the Frontrunner store.

- Front Runner roof rack
- Valkyrie Limb risers
- Valkyrie Ladder
- Teraflex 1.5" lift

View attachment 48017
I

Luis Merlo

OB1962

Influencer II

Collingwood Park, Queensland,4301
First Name
Luis
Last Name
Merlo
Member #

- Front Runner roof rack
- Valkyrie Limb risers
- Valkyrie Ladder
- Teraflex 1.5" lift

View attachment 48017

Just awesome !

Reactions: Liana Lehua