Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Since I joined Overland Bound I've seen an increasing number of Subaru driving members. Please feel free to post a picture of your vehicle, a quick description if you like, and a link to your build thread.

image.jpeg 2015 Outback Limited

Here's a short list of the more obvious, and some that aren't, mods.

ADF 2" lift with multi link spacers
Offroad Subaru front springs (+1.25")
RalliTEK super raised rear springs (+1.75")
LP Adventure brush guard
LP Adventure EVAP bypass
LP Adventure rear sub frame sliders
Primitive Racing front, mid, and rear dif armor
Yakima Loadwarrior with extension
ARB 2000x2500 awning
Rally Armor flaps
Enkei RPF1 wheels
Yokohama Geolander G015 tires
Traction Jack traction mats

My build thread with more mods and more details..

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/but-its-a-subaru-outback-build-thread.2423/

Attachments

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Thanks for sharing vicali and Luis! The Forester is definitely a popular platform and can be impressively built as @FozRoamer has shown. I almost bought a Crosstrek but was worried about the size. I still love them though and new member @GypsyTreker uses hers as Subaru intended. I also love what people do with their older Subaru's. From mild to wild there isn't much they're not capable of. Member @Robert Rosendahl is well on his way with his build.

As someone who has wrenched on and modified a wide range of vehicles I have a great appreciation for everyone's rig on the site. Admittedly Subaru's are a unique platform for this line of work but I'd be lying if I said that didn't appeal to me. I started this thread because a little bit of shared pride in our Subaru's won't hurt anyone and it will be a great way of showing other members just what they're capable of.

Hi. I'm Rob. My car is a '95 Legacy L AWD automatic wagon.
I've spent most of my life in Southeast Washington and North East Oregon.

I've had a few offroad vehicles before:
1988 Dakota SE long bed 4x4
1994 Silverado single cab 4x4 with 33's
1984 Suzuki SJ410 with flipped axles, and 31's

IMG_2313edit.jpg

So far I've put on Outback struts front and rear to lift about 1.5"
1/2" strut spacers in the rear to level things
Outback rear trailing arms to correct the rear wheel position with lift.
16x7 American Racing Estrella wheel with 40mm offset
215/60r16 Toyo all seasons for most of the year.
215/60r16 Winter claw tires for winter.
I've got a few small things like Ram X mount for using my phone as GPS/dash cam.
I also run DashCommand on my phone with an OBDII bluetooth link for engine info.

I will be installing part of my rear electrical system soon. Also WRX front brakes.

Build thread: https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/1995-subaru-legacy-l-awd-wagon.3396/

Last edited:

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Recently sold, but I'm a Subaru fan at heart.

2008 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Limited turbo with 5MT (bought new, and sold with 49,000 miles)
3/4" Spacer Lift
215-60-17 Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S tires
Skid plate
32" LED bar behind the basket fairing
8 foot ARB awning
Lots of convenience things

Build thread: Steve's Cross-Country Subaru Outback

Cross-Country Trip 2015: Steve & Deb's Cross-Country Adventure

And, completely opposite, and also recently sold (bought new, sold with 37,000 miles.)

2002 Subaru WRX Wagon
Mildly modified for SCCA Solo STX

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Those are good looking rigs Rob
and Steve. While Steve may have moved on to the Yota world I can't wait to see the places you take your Scoob @Robert Rosendahl. I have to admit that it was the 2005-09 Outback that made me want one. New member @Skemcin has a prime example and he's been making me jealous of his trailer since I saw it on Facebook.

Forgive me for saying it but I never pegged you for cone killer @Steve. I was a track junkie before my Outback and I'm pretty sure I need a WRX/STi in my life haha. As much as I love getting my wheels filthy off road I'll never lose my love of built up rubber/brake dust on them either.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Forgive me for saying it but I never pegged you for cone killer @Steve.
Hah!, Just 'cause I'm old, doesn't mean I don't have fun!! I did a lot more than kill them; I mashed them into the asphalt! :)

My eldest daughter was a new driver shortly after I bought the WRX, and had a '91 Miata w/slushbox. I sent her to Mid-Ohio's Teen Driving School, and also the the local autocross introduction. I'd already been participating for a season, and thought it would be good for her for better understanding car control. (She's since thanked me a couple of times, saying it has saver her from accidents on several occasions.) Once she got good enough to almost beat my times, I stopped going to avoid the embarrassment. ;)

Here was my build of the WRX: http://www.morrisgarage.com/wrx/

Bone stock at first event

I don't seem to have a photo of when it was in STX trim. Lots lower and stiffer, though.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Hah!, Just 'cause I'm old, doesn't mean I don't have fun!! I did a lot more than kill them; I mashed them into the asphalt! :)
image.jpeg

Haha, good stuff Steve! I'm sure you understand that no offense was intended.

GypsyTreker

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Great to see other members post their Subaru pics. We love ours. Our first was a 92 Legacy wagon that my husband used to pull a Pathfinder out of the mud at a music festival we were attending, we got rid of it at 318,000 miles having never removed the heads. I doubt we will ever boulder craw with the 'Trek but sure not worried about some rutted trails. I think it will serve us well in Alaska next May. We tow a teardrop (gypsy-style, square body) and all our stuff and get over 28mpg on average. Our sole reason for getting another Subaru was so we could venture out on those less traveled roads :)

GypsyTreker

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Sweet! Not a big deal but we did Fl 09 in the Ocala forrest ( The tread lightly ORV road system) It blows us away at how well the AWD on the CrossTrek is, and of course all other Subuaru models. We were out looking for "dark sky" locations to telescope. Big Scubb lookes good. This is about the easiest section of sand on the road. IMG_20161230_114709610~2.jpg

finlayforprez

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member II

Ronks, PA, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
West
Member #

My sister in law just bought a Crosstrek and I got her an OB membership, so she will be posting it on here very soon. My brother does a lot of fabrication, so he has big plans!!!! Stay tuned for her post!!!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Japhy and Butler419

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
My sister in law just bought a Crosstrek and I got her an OB membership, so she will be posting it on here very soon. My brother does a lot of fabrication, so he has big plans!!!! Stay tuned for her post!
Looking forward to it!

Does anyone have anything fun planned for their Subaru? A trip or any fun modifications? My current project is customizing my rack to accommodate Rotopax water/gas cans and my Traction Jacks in the same footprint while still being easy to access. Next up is designing my drawer system while still having access to my no longer used spare tire well.

Last edited:

Butler419

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

New to OB and also new to my Subaru!! 2017 Crosstrek, factory fresh and just my daily driver... for now. As Finlayforprez (the best brother-in-law ever) mentioned my husband is a very talented fabricator and so we definitely have some modification/upgrade plans for the future. For now, I'm just increasingly impressed by the stock performance of this vehicle. I'm a Masshole, born and raised and am used to driving in shitty weather; I have good feelings about how my little tank (as I lovingly refer to my new ride) will handle whatever Old Man Winter has to throw at us.
Best wishes to all ~ happy to be in club Subaru :)
OB2696

IMG_2351.JPG IMG_2348.JPG IMG_2348.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited by a moderator: