Subaru Forester - '18 XT

• HTML tutorial

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Super cool pics! The black and white ones have a very Ansel Adams-esque feeling to them. That last color IR pic is beautiful.
Thank you! Really enjoying the IR camera conversion - when I shoot professionally, it's mostly on large or medium format film, but the IR conversion lets me do stuff with digital I can't all that easily with film - it adds a unique tool to the toolbox. :)

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Haven't commented here in a while, been busy out exploring with the rig, and working on it a bit too:

...and I thought the ADF lift kit install would be my last major project in a while. Hah!

1566530440633.png

1566530328522.png

1566530166668.png

I've wanted a place to store a full size spare, jerry can, and trasharoo (I spend half my time overlanding actually picking up other folks' trash, but hey, I find it weirdly rewarding)!

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
Haven't commented here in a while, been busy out exploring with the rig, and working on it a bit too:

...and I thought the ADF lift kit install would be my last major project in a while. Hah!

View attachment 114333

View attachment 114332

View attachment 114331

I've wanted a place to store a full size spare, jerry can, and trasharoo (I spend half my time overlanding actually picking up other folks' trash, but hey, I find it weirdly rewarding)!
That's awesome! I love that it works with the OEM bumper instead of replacing it. Very nicely done.

Obviously, it'll be heavier once you finish it up but do you know how much it weighs so far?

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

That's awesome! I love that it works with the OEM bumper instead of replacing it. Very nicely done.

Obviously, it'll be heavier once you finish it up but do you know how much it weighs so far?
Thanks! I actually like the rear bumper and the sill plate design, so I wanted to keep it, plus I get no better of a departure angle if I remove it (due to the exhaust location).

I'd guess my bumper weighs 40 lbs altogether. That said, standing on the back of the car, the suspension compresses no more than 0.7"... and I don't plan on putting 150+ lbs of gear back there anyways, so all should be good.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

We are thinking of building a similar bumper on our 4runner. Too many aftermarket bumpers are huge and obnoxious looking. Thanks for the inspiration!
I'm a fan of the styling behind both of these vehicles; it was actually between a 4 Runner, Tacoma, and this Forester. You're absolutely right in that a lot of aftermarket ones hurt - not help - the looks of these rigs. Plus, there's the advantage of building things exactly to your specs, and having something to be proud of when you finish it.

One thing a few people asked about is how I lined up the bumper cut-outs. This method worked very well for me:

1566614357416.png

First; I cut out a template of the bumper tube from cardboard, screwed it to the end of a fibreglass snowplow marker, attached it to a tripod, and positioned the cutout where I wanted it on the bumper cover. Next; I got a skil saw and cut the bumper. Finally; I realigned the tamplate with the hole I just cut, marked where the pole sat on the tripod, removed the pole, removed the bumper cover, put the pole back, and I knew exactly where the bracket needed to be bolted/welded on to go through the cutout, since the template sat where the hole was located.

Attachments

Reactions: Jeffrey Dill

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

The bumper's "skeleton" has been coming along nicely...

1567815196773.png

This is what's hidden underneath the bumper protector. I wanted the structural stuff there for the cleaner looks and the protection from salt spray on our winter roads.

1567815474438.png

1567815508651.png

POR-15'ed, painted, and just about ready to go! Turns out "Ford Dark Mineral" paint is the same colour as my Subaru's!

Jeffrey Dill

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeffrey
Last Name
Dill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4FOZ
The bumper's "skeleton" has been coming along nicely...

View attachment 116431

This is what's hidden underneath the bumper protector. I wanted the structural stuff there for the cleaner looks and the protection from salt spray on our winter roads.

View attachment 116432

View attachment 116433

POR-15'ed, painted, and just about ready to go! Turns out "Ford Dark Mineral" paint is the same colour as my Subaru's!
Nice work, looks super clean! Can't wait to see it in full effect.

Reactions: Baipin