Strange occurrences and tales of the unexplained!

• HTML tutorial

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

I'm most likely going to be alienated, laughed at, ostracized, and maybe even talked about as the "crazy" guy here on OB.......BUT, my curiosity is the driving force here.

As some of you know, I am a professional backpacking and kayaking guide, I also teach primitive skills survival. I also spend a lot of time solo in the mountains, woods, deserts, etc. Not only here in Washington state, but all over the world. I have lived in 18 countries and 3 states in my lifetime and been to many more. I mention all this, not to boast but to set the tone and backstory for this topic.

In all my travels I have experienced unusual phenomenon, odd occurrences, unexplained events, and just plain weird shit. For example...Unexplained time loss, unnatural lights in the sky, Unusual sounds and smells that have my dogs hiding behind me, feelings of dread or fear that suddenly trigger my "fight or flight" response for no reason, as well as seeing things that I have convinced myself...I couldn't have seen, but I saw. Now this doesn't happen every time I go out...but on occasion it has and continues to happen.

So, just curious if anyone else out here has experienced anything they can't explain while overlanding or camping, hiking, backpacking, etc....I'd like to hear your story. LOL, of course I do expect some sarcasm and poking fun at my expense, but...it is what it is...

Last edited:

Cappy410

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

Now you got the hairs on my back rising. I too, taught survival skills at CFB Cold Lake for 3 years, and I have seen some weird sh*t. I took my final practical course to qualify to be an instructor and it was a solo for 4 days. The mind can play some weird stuff on you. I do recall one time on a backpacking trip deep in the rockies where I came across some really thick bushed that were rustling around. I heard some unusual grunting and groaning coming from them and my curiousity got the best of me. My spidey senses were telling me not to look but I had to. As I jumped in hopes of scaring whatever was there, I happen to scare a couple "doing it" in the bush. Woohoo! Just when you think you are alone in the woods. The most unexplained things I see are usually at night when looking up at the sky. Que X-files theme song here.

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

Now you got the hairs on my back rising. I too, taught survival skills at CFB Cold Lake for 3 years, and I have seen some weird sh*t. I took my final practical course to qualify to be an instructor and it was a solo for 4 days. The mind can play some weird stuff on you. I do recall one time on a backpacking trip deep in the rockies where I came across some really thick bushed that were rustling around. I heard some unusual grunting and groaning coming from them and my curiousity got the best of me. My spidey senses were telling me not to look but I had to. As I jumped in hopes of scaring whatever was there, I happen to scare a couple "doing it" in the bush. Woohoo! Just when you think you are alone in the woods. The most unexplained things I see are usually at night when looking up at the sky. Que X-files theme song here.
Yeah, back in '94 I was at the JOTC (Jungle Operations Training Center ) in Panama. Myself and 2 other NCO's were out on a solo training mission in remote parts of the jungle. I got this really weird feeling I was being watched and saw these weird glowing lights just above the jungle canopy. They made no sound as they hovered above me...then they shot off going west and not more than 90 seconds later 4 choppers flew by seemingly in pursuit. Later, at the extraction point...I found out that the other two guys saw the same lights...back at the base we were told that there were no choppers or anything else in the area and we must have been fatigued. But I know what I saw.

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

I like to think that there is a logical explanation of everything, but I've had enough weird stuff happen when I've been alone and off the beaten to question logic. I've seen, or at least my mind tells me that I've seen, strange lights in the sky and heard weird noises in the bush. This has mainly been in the remote wilderness in western Ontario and of course it's when no one else is with me. I do wonder how much is in my mind and how much actually happened. Either way it's spooky.

k9lestat

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Statesboro,Ga.
Member #

My whole 4 yrs in the army I suffered time loss, they made me go to track 1 and 2 for it...lol

But being from Georgia I was unfamiliar with the northern lights. First time I saw them it scared the hell out of me. All kinds of crazy thoughts running through my mind til some explained what it was. Then I was laughing and going to the bar.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

I saw "something" far, far away one night in the sky. It was too fast and eratic and I'm pretty sure it was unidentified. Other people saw it, so if I'm crazy, I'll have company.

"Fight or flight" is a very real sense that I've learned to take VERY serious.

As a gigging musician for 35+ years, I used to drive home from bars listening to "Coast to Coast" and such. That stuff will weird you out after a long night.............

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

I saw "something" far, far away one night in the sky. It was too fast and eratic and I'm pretty sure it was unidentified. Other people saw it, so if I'm crazy, I'll have company.

"Fight or flight" is a very real sense that I've learned to take VERY serious.

As a gigging musician for 35+ years, I used to drive home from bars listening to "Coast to Coast" and such. That stuff will weird you out after a long night.............
Love Coast to Coast...with Art Bell and George Nori

Cappy410

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

My whole 4 yrs in the army I suffered time loss, they made me go to track 1 and 2 for it...lol

But being from Georgia I was unfamiliar with the northern lights. First time I saw them it scared the hell out of me. All kinds of crazy thoughts running through my mind til some explained what it was. Then I was laughing and going to the bar.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk
Remember the movie Maximum Overdrive back in '86?

Cappy "410 Expedition" [emoji1063]Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Laughing Otter

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

QUOTE="Cappy410, post: 17438, member: 1664"]Remember the movie Maximum Overdrive back in '86?
Cappy "410 Expedition" [emoji1063]Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I sure wouldn't want to see that "Happy Toyz" semi comin' up on me in the rear view mirror!!! I'm a built guy and I can more than handle myself...but truck would scare the sh*t outta me!!!LOL!!!

467953f9129ee2510b1d951132275e3b.jpg maximumoverdrivegoblin.jpg

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

I got one for you guys. Has anyone ever heard the trumpets coming from the sky? Was out camping and I heard them and I immediately thought of the movie Legion. I found a video online to show what kind of sounds I'm talking about
Anyway, when I got home I went straight to the Google to find out what was going on. Was it angels, aliens, the military, ya know, all the logical explanations. According to NASA "the Earth has ‘natural radio emissions’.
‘If humans had radio antennas instead of ears, we would hear a remarkable symphony of strange noises coming from our own planet. Scientists call them "tweeks," "whistlers" and "sferics."

'They sound like background music from a flamboyant science fiction film, but this is not science fiction. Earth's natural radio emissions are real and, although we're mostly unaware of them, they are around us all the time.’"

So yeah, it's just the earth....still scary to hear when you are out in the middle of nowhere

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

I got one for you guys. Has anyone ever heard the trumpets coming from the sky? Was out camping and I heard them and I immediately thought of the movie Legion. I found a video online to show what kind of sounds I'm talking about
Anyway, when I got home I went straight to the Google to find out what was going on. Was it angels, aliens, the military, ya know, all the logical explanations. According to NASA "the Earth has ‘natural radio emissions’.
‘If humans had radio antennas instead of ears, we would hear a remarkable symphony of strange noises coming from our own planet. Scientists call them "tweeks," "whistlers" and "sferics."

'They sound like background music from a flamboyant science fiction film, but this is not science fiction. Earth's natural radio emissions are real and, although we're mostly unaware of them, they are around us all the time.’"

So yeah, it's just the earth....still scary to hear when you are out in the middle of nowhere
I haven't heard them yet but have seen many videos on the phenomenon.

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

Wow.

That's the first I've ever heard of that. I have spent a LOT of time alone in the woods, owning my own 30 acres of woods and am out there a LOT working, building, camping, hunting, etc.

I'm sure I would have TOTALLY FREAKED OUT if I'd heard something like that in the middle of the woods while alone.

Wow..........

Cappy410

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Okotoks, AB
First Name
Stephane
Last Name
Fortin
Member #

War of the Worlds

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

I once saw a strange light in the sky. I was coming home from a day volunteering at Cow Mountain when there was quite literally, a strange light in the sky. What had me so interested and confused was the way the light not only shifted, but appeared to emanate from a single point that was moving. Another car on 101S pulled over to the shoulder, while I slowed down in the far right lane. I knew taking a picture with my iPhone, through the windshield, at night, at a distant light in the sky would never turn out, but I had to do it.

The next morning there were reports all over the news about a strange light in the sky the night before. This was last November. Turns out what I saw was the top secret Trident II missile launch from a sub off the coast of LA. In a way I felt relieved knowing that it wasn't an alien invasion, but at the same time, somewhat distraught knowing what the beginning of WWIII will look like.

Oh, and that picture I took? It has about 10x10 pixels of light from that missile in it. You'd have to know what you were looking at to make any sense of it.

murps

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
d
Last Name
m
Member #

I once saw a strange light in the sky. I was coming home from a day volunteering at Cow Mountain when there was quite literally, a strange light in the sky. What had me so interested and confused was the way the light not only shifted, but appeared to emanate from a single point that was moving. Another car on 101S pulled over to the shoulder, while I slowed down in the far right lane. I knew taking a picture with my iPhone, through the windshield, at night, at a distant light in the sky would never turn out, but I had to do it.

The next morning there were reports all over the news about a strange light in the sky the night before. This was last November. Turns out what I saw was the top secret Trident II missile launch from a sub off the coast of LA. In a way I felt relieved knowing that it wasn't an alien invasion, but at the same time, somewhat distraught knowing what the beginning of WWIII will look like.

Oh, and that picture I took? It has about 10x10 pixels of light from that missile in it. You'd have to know what you were looking at to make any sense of it.
i remember seeing that down here in San Deigo! Quite the night