Storing eggs

• HTML tutorial

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

If I understand correctly, eggs in Britain and Europe come from vaccinated (for salmonella) hens. The US doesn't do that and refrigerating eggs is something we need to do here to keep the incidents from salmonella in check.
From what I just read, https://www.businessinsider.com/why-europeans-dont-refrigerate-their-eggs-2018-4?utm_source=copy-link&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=topbar&utm_term=desktop

It’s what you say.

So fresh from the farm eggs in North America shouldn’t be washed if keeping out of the fridge. Just let all the crap dry on them

Reactions: Drifterman

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
Why not buy a container of egg beaters? Easy peasey

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

Because real eggs are FAR better for you and far more nutritionally complete, that's why not. Real eggs are whole food, egg beaters are not.

Not trying to be overly preachy as I have tubs of Mountain House on hand but real eggs are easy enough to transport as many posters have shown.

Bubba Tim

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Middleburg, FL, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Reyes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N2BBT / K4OPX
Service Branch
US Army Ranger
No worries, I agree with you about fresh eggs. Nutrition was not the question, transporting was.

Reactions: Drifterman

Spaceburger

Rank II
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Modesto
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6RUF
I’m with Sparky, I like cooking eggs OE or sunyside, pre-blending is not an option for a real gourmet (snooty I cook better than you) overland cook.
Busted eggs, and I have had many, means omelette time.
Blended carton eggs or powdered is just plain blasphemy....those eggs were innocent.
The older Coleman Red Egg Crates worked great but the plastic hinges break. The newer Yellow crates do not work and pretty much guarantees omelettes. Who buys anything except Large or Extra Large Eggs?
Brown Eggs have harder shells but still break. Off Road Transportation of eggs is something I continue to struggle with. I think I need a support group.

NWoverlander

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Graham, WA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Russell
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7DDY
Service Branch
First Responder Ret.
I have use a technique we have used for hunting trips for years. We crack the eggs into a small thermos. It is sealed air tight, temperature stable, puncture resistance and easy for pouring select amounts for meals. Just my two cents...

rdcantu

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

New Braunfels, TX, USA
First Name
Roy
Last Name
Cantu
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7IHP
What’s the best way to store eggs?

My wife has suggested pre-cracking them into a sealable container then just “pour” the eggs as needed. Seems like it could lead to being a mess. Any ideas would be helpful.
Listen to your wife she’s onto a good idea . Takes up less room!

jimmyjamson

Rank I

Contributor III

Switzerland
First Name
jack
Last Name
austin
I've used the plastic egg container before but the little plastic tabs cracked the store bought eggs. I don't pay more for pigeon eggs so it could have been that the eggs were too large and how to pack eggs for camping. The last trip I put half a dozen into the foam egg store container then put that in a plastic container with a sealing lid. It was big enough that the valley in the egg carton also held a stick of butter and small bags of cheese around that.

I like the bottle of egg more though and will try that next time.
What is your favorite way to preserve/carry eggs for a ten + day trip? I have not found a method I’m totally happy with. At this point I’m tempted to just crack a few dozen into a container and try to keep it cool, but am worried they will spoil rapidly. Any suggestions?

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I've used the plastic egg container before but the little plastic tabs cracked the store bought eggs. I don't pay more for pigeon eggs so it could have been that the eggs were too large and how to pack eggs for camping. The last trip I put half a dozen into the foam egg store container then put that in a plastic container with a sealing lid. It was big enough that the valley in the egg carton also held a stick of butter and small bags of cheese around that.

I like the bottle of egg more though and will try that next time.
What is your favorite way to preserve/carry eggs for a ten + day trip? I have not found a method I’m totally happy with. At this point I’m tempted to just crack a few dozen into a container and try to keep it cool, but am worried they will spoil rapidly. Any suggestions?
10 days is easy but there’s a lot of conditions that must be met. Eggs fresh from the chicken’s tail end don’t need refrigeration for that amount of time. Just need to be kept above freezing and below cooking. Once they are washed, then they need food safety level refrigeration.

On trips where space is an issue, we crack the eggs into a container. If you’re gonna used store bought eggs, might as well remove the shell and keep below 40F.

Reactions: 12C20

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

^^^ I don't believe it is a matter of refrigeration but rather washing off the natural, protective coating on the egg.
Totally correct. An unwashed farm fresh egg will keep for at least 10 days without refrigeration.

I raise chickens for eggs and we’ve left fresh eggs out on the counter for more than 2 weeks without problems.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

^^^ I don't believe it is a matter of refrigeration but rather washing off the natural, protective coating on the egg.
Totally correct. An unwashed farm fresh egg will keep for at least 10 days without refrigeration.

I raise chickens for eggs and we’ve left fresh eggs out on the counter for more than 2 weeks without problems.
My great grandmother said two weeks on the counter was the minimum for good boiled eggs, and hers were the best.

She kept them in a thick ceramic dough bowl in a house built many years before electricity was available.

World Traveler III

Nokomis, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Fazio
Eggs can be left out, even after being refrigerated, for a long time. We keep our refrigerated store bought eggs in their cartons in a small bin, unrefrigerated. Worked for 7 years while we were full time. On many occasions we had eggs for over three weeks without issue. If you are worried, crack into another bowl to check each one before using.

Reactions: HaveeBear2