Storing eggs

• HTML tutorial

jim lee

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Anacortes, WA
Member #

+1 for Hydroflask. I bought a big one on a whim. Out of the store I started to get some buyers remorse when I realized that my hand couldn't span it, it wouldn't fit in my cup holder, probably kinda' heavy when full..

Then I took it along when we did the WABDR in the blazing heat for about a week. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE that flask! Fill it with ice water and it'll stay icy all day long. Does not have the silly straw thing that gets all manky after about a day. It holds enough that you don't have to refill it after every drink. One of my favorite pieces of gear.

-jim lee

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
+1 for Hydroflask. I bought a big one on a whim. Out of the store I started to get some buyers remorse when I realized that my hand couldn't span it, it wouldn't fit in my cup holder, probably kinda' heavy when full..

Then I took it along when we did the WABDR in the blazing heat for about a week. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE that flask! Fill it with ice water and it'll stay icy all day long. Does not have the silly straw thing that gets all manky after about a day. It holds enough that you don't have to refill it after every drink. One of my favorite pieces of gear.

-jim lee
Hi Jim, how much of WABDR did you do? I live in Mount Vernon.

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
Made it 1/2 way.. Here's the story : Build log link Scroll about 1/2 way down and you can see where we took off. It has the whole story including our demise and the "Tow of shame" home.

You're in Mt Vernon? Join us locals for a picnic this Saturday : Rally point link

-jim lee
Drat! I have family in town this weekend and won't be able to make it. I will definitely keep my eyes open for another outing. Feel free to add me to any notification list for such things in the future.

Reactions: Drifterman

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
I have used a juice bottle (V-8 or cranberry) but i like the liquid creamer bottle idea a lot. The built in pour spout and the tight snap lid are excellent points. I go thru the liquid carnation creamer quickly (ice-coffee), so i have them on hand. AKA use and dispose no worry about reusing them. As someone posted above, it would be easy to calculate how much one would need to do any type of entree.

Reactions: Drifterman

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
When transporting eggs I just keep them in the container they come in and put them in the fridge. Over dozens of trips ranging from rock crawling to high speed dirt trails I've yet to break an egg, but I acknowledge the risk is there and I might just have been lucky. I like the idea of pre-breaking them into a container that seals and takes less space.

Fozzy325

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Calgary, AB, Canada
Member #

This is hard for people now days to do, but if you can buy farm fresh eggs that have not been refrigerated , they will keep for a week easily. Once eggs are put in the refrigerator, the spoil faster, if not kept cold. I also use the plastic egg holders. Benz.
It's amazing that North Americans refrigerate the eggs.
When I moved from the Netherlands I was asking why are eggs in the fridge. When you buy eggs in the supermarkets in The Netherlands, UK, Germany, Denmark, Italy, Spain & France the eggs are always on the normal room temperature shelves. Not sure about other European countries.

When going to the farmers market in Calgary I ask first if the eggs have ever been refrigerated prior to purchasing them.

However, the way I keep my eggs is in a plastic container. See picture (Black Case)

I also set my eggs up for the ride by cooking them, either in the morning or the night before, for on the trail. I use the second picture to
  • Do shell-less hard boiled eggs
  • Mix up contents for an omelette and add the herbs and spices per container then cook them in these single containers. these make great mini bite size omelettes and by doing it individually. you can then use the hot water for Tea/Coffee/cleaning etc..
  • Poached eggs
  • Soft boiled Eggs

Attachments

Last edited:

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

As I only go out for a night or two, I use the 6-pack egg Coughlan container. Keep 'em at the top of my cooler. In my van, which has a vertical Norcold fridge, I just keep them in their original container. I'm usually out for a few nights in that rig so I live a bit more civilized than in my LX.

Drifterman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

East Patchogue, NY, USA
First Name
Fluffy
Last Name
Drifter
Member #

It's amazing that North Americans refrigerate the eggs.
When I moved from the Netherlands I was asking why are eggs in the fridge. When you buy eggs in the supermarkets in The Netherlands, UK, Germany, Denmark, Italy, Spain & France the eggs are always on the normal room temperature shelves. Not sure about other European countries.

When going to the farmers market in Calgary I ask first if the eggs have ever been refrigerated prior to purchasing them.

However, the way I keep my eggs is in a plastic container. See picture (Black Case)

I also set my eggs up for the ride by cooking them, either in the morning or the night before, for on the trail. I use the second picture to
  • Do shell-less hard boiled eggs
  • Mix up contents for an omelette and add the herbs and spices per container then cook them in these single containers. these make great mini bite size omelettes and by doing it individually. you can then use the hot water for Tea/Coffee/cleaning etc..
  • Poached eggs
  • Soft boiled Eggs
Love this idea

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

If I understand correctly, eggs in Britain and Europe come from vaccinated (for salmonella) hens. The US doesn't do that and refrigerating eggs is something we need to do here to keep the incidents from salmonella in check.