Storing eggs

• HTML tutorial

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

I just started buying liquid eggs... Im clumsy and broke many eggs, even in those plastic containers. And I usually scramble my eggs anyway, so two birds, one stone.

@DK_XV | PNW | '17 Colorado Diesel

Reactions: Lost-Again

Kenslittle72

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Princeton, Moorpark
Member #

Those using the plastic holders either drive to slow or on too easy of trails. :grinning:

I used to use those as well. Even witht he paper towel I almost always lost a few. So I had to bring more "just in case eggs". I noticed one day that our cafeteria chef at work refilling the scrambled eggs from a carton. I figure if I couldn't tell the difference eating them there I wouldn't on the trail. So I started buying the milk carton eggs ever since. bonus is that the square shape packs way better in the fridge then the plastic holder.

zipline14537

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Ohio
if you can get farm fresh eggs from someone local that have not been cleaned off or wiped down you don't need to refrigerate them for weeks and you can keep them in the hard plastic case anyplace in your rig. the shells are also a lot stronger and take more to crack. the only downfall to local farm eggs is that some may not fit in the container. I would put a 36 pack between 2 pieces of foam and stick them in a knock off pelican case.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Slow Poke

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido
First Name
Jose
Last Name
Torrez
Member #

Wife just bought the yellow egg holder. Going to give it a try with farm fresh eggs. I’ve seen lot of people using the water bottle method. Looking at water bottles for pancake mix too.

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Looking at water bottles for pancake mix too.
When camping I’ll make Swedish pancakes. It has a crepe like batter which is a little thinner than regular pancake batter. Several years ago my wife came up with a great idea to use condiment squeeze bottles for storage and to squeeze the batter into the pan.

6AB8DE24-F1BD-4561-BE05-55839EB2E6AC.jpeg

CCB6780C-1F53-4157-BC63-4BAA49146F93.jpeg

Sparky

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Jose, California
Member #

I’ve found the yellow plastic holders to be too small for most eggs, but maybe it’s an older model.

I also like sunny side up or over easy eggs, so I usually pack whole eggs. At home I stick to pasture raised, but for overlanding I’ll find whatever dozen comes in those clear plastic containers, they’re a tri-fold design and in my experience provide more protection than the standard paper or styro bi-fold containers.

satxguy

Rank 0

Traveler I

San Antonio
First Name
Marcos
Last Name
Hernandez
I use the mini water bottles I crack 4 eggs put them in the little 6oz water bottles cap them and throw them in cooler. This works great for two people. My wife and I are always together, we portion meals for two and have our meals portioned out before our trips. We meal plan everything for our trips.

Daniel Diaz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Harlingen, Texas
Member #

I pre-crack my eggs and store them in a Yeti 26oz Rambler bottle. I mainly use this insulated bottle because it keeps the eggs very cold, but doesn't freeze them over no matter how cold my cooler gets and they stay fresh for days without worry. And now that Yeti came out with the Rambler Chug Cap, it makes pouring eggs a breeze.

Cheers!!

Last edited:

SlinginIron

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lewiston, Nez Perce County, Idaho, United States
First Name
Arty
Last Name
Harber
Member #

I like to use "BlenderBottles", I use them for protein shakes as well as for eggs. You can leave the whisk out of it and just crack eggs into it if you want to pour them into a pan for over-easy eggs (I've had intermittent success with this depending on the trail). If you decide to make omelets or what not you can add your ingredients and the whisk back in and shake it up. I've used them for years, they seal really well and they are pretty tough.

tenebs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Margy
Last Name
Green
Member #

My buddy cracks his dozen eggs into a plastic orange juice bottle, which he keeps in his 12v refrigerator. No mess. It's designed for pouring liquid out of.

Personally, I use one of the yellow plastic containers.
My eggs always crack in those even when stored in another container trying to protect them. I have yet to find a raw egg storage solution so resorted to hard boiling them the night before a trip.

tenebs

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Margy
Last Name
Green
Member #

I pre-crack my eggs and store them in a Yeti 26oz Rambler bottle. I mainly use this insulated bottle because it keeps the eggs very cold, but doesn't freeze them over no matter how cold my cooler gets and they stay fresh for days without worry. And now that Yeti came out with the Rambler Chug Cap, it makes pouring eggs a breeze.

Cheers!!
Hmm, I have a Hydroflask soup container so I'll have to try it next time.

Reactions: Daniel Diaz

Daniel Diaz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Harlingen, Texas
Member #

Hmm, I have a Hydroflask soup container so I'll have to try it next time.
As much as I love repurposing items like other members in this thread, I have been trying my best to eliminate waste and limit the amount of trash I lug out from my trips. I thought about using insulated bottles for things like eggs, milk, juice, etc., because they're reusable, washable, and will last waaaaaay longer than repurposed plastic containers. :-)

I looked up Hydroflask, they have really awesome bottles!! Thanks for name dropping that brand. Some definitely caught my eye and interest.

Last edited: