Storing eggs

• HTML tutorial

Marshfly

Rank I

Contributor III

Houma LA
I used to use the Yellow egg holders until one day after coming off a particularly rough pass I found a few eggs broken and a mess in the bottom of my Engel. I switched to just buying eggs in the cardboard cartons and making sure they were on top of the pile. I really like the ideas of cracking them into a Nalgene bottle and will probably go that way from here on out.

Reactions: Kenslittle72

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
My buddy cracks his dozen eggs into a plastic orange juice bottle, which he keeps in his 12v refrigerator. No mess. It's designed for pouring liquid out of.

Personally, I use one of the yellow plastic containers. http://amzn.to/2DO4pzH

I don’t know how I managed to miss these in the past. I picked one up at Walmart for under $2 and it worked great. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I've used the yellow box for several years and haven't had a crack. I place them on the top though so that might have something to do with it. I'd like to try out the bottle trick however. I've seen it recommended in several places and it seems like it would be a lot better space wise.

Revere

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Georgetown, Kentucky
Member #

This is hard for people now days to do, but if you can buy farm fresh eggs that have not been refrigeratored, they will keep for a week easily. Once eggs are put in the refrigerator, the spoil faster, if not kept cold. I also use the plastic egg holders. Benz.
Eggcellent point. I came here to say eggsactly this.

In England (where I was born/grew up) the eggs come unrefrigerated in the stores. I'd imagine that being in a cooler would help protect them from crushing though.

Sorry about the rotten puns. I'll see myself out.

HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
Eggcellent point. I came here to say eggsactly this.

In England (where I was born/grew up) the eggs come unrefrigerated in the stores. I'd imagine that being in a cooler would help protect them from crushing though.

Sorry about the rotten puns. I'll see myself out.
Eggtra points for your puns and stating that being in a cooler helps....well not always...eggstreme bumps are still an issue with breggage so I add a paper towel to the little yellow egg holder which helps protect them before consumption. :sunglasses:

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Whenever I camp, I crack my eggs into a mason jar and seal it. Leave it in the cooler. I've even seen people freeze the yolks/whites all mixed up to keep longer. If you plan on having multiple meals with eggs, I'd suggest using one container for each meal to avoid spoilage/contamination.

Sodog

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Covina
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Hearn
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG6NBH
Egg beaters pack great are easy to use and last the trip. With that said Wally World has one with onions and bell peppers already in it and makes for a tasty breakfast. The only reason I take regular eggs is for baking something like cornbread but even with that I have a water only mix I use vanilla almond milk in so no need.

Quicksilver

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Molalla, OR
Member #

I must be unaware of something about eggs that you guys know. I quit carrying eggs in shell years ago.

View attachment 48100
We've been doing the pre-cracked eggs in random bottles, but I like this idea. I don't recall ever seeing these in the store here, but I'll look. I have a trip coming up next month that I'll get some for, if I can find them.

ScottinAZ

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
Member #

I don't pre-crack the eggs. that way I don't have to take up precious fridge space. I just buy ordinary eggs from the grocery store. I have found that normally the eggs will stay fresh, even in Arizona, for at least two weeks.

Joseph Solin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Orlando, Orange County, Florida, United States
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Solin
Member #

I got this from amazon. It holds 6 large eggs perfectly. I get the brown eggs, because the tend to have a thicker shell.

Just got back from 3 days of hard wheeling and had no egg damage. I stored them in the back inside my Engle fridge. They nested nicely on a bag of tortillas.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Smokey_Bear_JLUR

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Oakville, MO, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Kuhn
Member #

Service Branch
LEO (Ret'd)
I'm a fan of hard-boiled eggs, but my girls like them sunny side up and scrambled. I'll have to use the bottle trick on our next trip. Side note- has anyone seen that "As seen on TV" hard-boiled egg thing-a-majigger? You crack eggs into these little cups, then boil the cups until the eg is done. Then, you supposedly pop them out and you have a perfectly boiled egg minus the shell. I'm a complete sucker for gadgets, and have been thinking about trying it out as I ABHOR shelling eggs. I never get it right, and end up with egg stuck to the shell, or a shell that peels but leaves the membrane....yuck

Joseph Solin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Orlando, Orange County, Florida, United States
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Solin
Member #

I got this from amazon. It holds 6 large eggs perfectly. I get the brown eggs, because the tend to have a thicker shell.

Just got back from 3 days of hard wheeling and had no egg damage. I stored them in the back inside my Engle fridge. They nested nicely on a bag of tortillas.

I’ve now done four off roading trips using this egg container and brown eggs. Not a single break in my fridge.

CANNONBALL94

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

El Cajon, Ca
First Name
Cannon
Last Name
Larocque
Member #

Carton eggs for sure and if we don’t get cartons we usually crack em and they go into a bottle.

Thelgord

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Harlem, GA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Lyons
Member #

Unwashed eggs from a local supplier will easily last over a month unrefrigerated. They have a protective film of bacteria to keep it from rotting before the chick hatches. (I have chickens)
A fr End at work has chickens. I just learned about this last week. I find it’s amazing that they can last that long.

Reactions: Haminacan