Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Hey Steve, have you looked at a solar system and or a second battery
Nope, that's pretty far down the list. It is doubtful that we would be in a situation where we would need either for the foreseeable future. Maybe if we had a trailer and stayed off grid we would.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Murphy Slaw

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern Illinois
Member #

Man, that is a real beauty.

You empty nesters actually get some of your own money ?

My daughter is a Junior in High School and is looking at Colleges.

I may have the old ('05) Ram and the Patriot for 4 or 5 more YEARS...................................

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

You empty nesters actually get some of your own money ? My daughter is a Junior in High School and is looking at Colleges.
We were extraordinarily blessed, in that both grandparents started accounts for both daughters when they were born. We only paid for 1 quarter of eldest daughter's college, and won't need to pay for any of youngest daughter's. Otherwise, we wouldn't have been able to retire ten years early!! (or at all...)

Reactions: Murphy Slaw

OhioJeff

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron,Ohio
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8LJW
Steve, I'm considering the C4 Fabrication sliders also, I like the look better than most of the others. now that you have had them for awhile, what is your opinion of them? Is there anything I should consider before buying them? Looking over your build thread, it was clear that e have similar ideas. Your rig is looking great by the way.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

@OhioJeff

Good timing! There is a group buy finishing March 3 on T4R.org (C4 FAB **Official** Rock Sliders Group Buy #2 (Closes 3-3-17) ) that is at a 20% discount. That's better than the group buy I was in when I bought mine!

I really like them, but have not been in a situation where they have been used as rock sliders. I know that some folks had some concerns about the small "hook" at the rear end, thinking if the 4Runner slid sideways, something could get stuck there. The latest version has the rear support closer to the end to alleviate that possibility.

Note that rock sliders are higher than steps. So they take some getting used to. Standing on them puts you a little higher than you expect to just slide in, but that's true with any rock sliders. You can get the step plates plain like mine, with the C4 logo, Trail, TRD, etc. I wanted mine plain for more surface to step on in icy conditions. We haven't had much of a winter, so I don't know how well the step plates work. In the rain there's plenty of grip.

Bottom line, *I* think they are the best looking sliders, and wouldn't hesitate to get them again.

Reactions: Cavo

OhioJeff

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Akron,Ohio
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8LJW
Thanks Steve, that group buy is what got me thinking. still not sure I want to spend the cash right now but would be a shame to miss out on that discount. Thanks again for the first hand info.

Reactions: Steve

Cavo

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger II

Great Falls, VA, USA
First Name
Colin
Last Name
Richard
Member #

Awesome throwing that group buy in your thread. I got in on it. A bit nervous about the install with my KDSS, but what are Saturdays for besides going overlanding or adding to your 4Runner! Thanks again

Reactions: Steve

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I have these sliders. I got mine after Steve ordered his. the KDSS doesn't rely make them any harder to install. The key is to get all the bolts started before you lock them down. Mine where tweaked just enough to make them a pain in the butt. Know that they are on I love them. I have used them and they are very tough. Also a great step for loading my roof rack. You can use them for a jacking point also. Steve is correct it takes a little getting used to getting in and out of the 4runner with them but no big deal! Well worth the $.

Reactions: Steve and Cavo

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Any news on the shower? How do you like it?
Winter here (although pretty mild) so all of our hoses are shut off. I plan to do a full review, just not sure how quickly.

First impression is very good! I have unpacking photos, and for a Chinese carton, it is much better than most. We ordered two, and one had some shipping damage. RodShower was very quick to respond, and sent me a replacement part USPS Priority. I did pump the empty tank up with my compressor, and it holds at 29PSI.

I'm going to compare times to fill a gallon jug with my WaterBrick/12V pump, as well as how far it squirts, how easy to get into action and put away, etc.

I'll start a review thread, and add to it as I make progress.

Reactions: Rocky

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

What type of mount/antenna are you using and how are you running the cable into the cab?
Hi Mike,

I have a 4' Firestick No Ground Plane antenna, mounted on the clamp that came with the kit. I fished the cable through the top of the rear hatch, then sliced a small opening in the wiring boot, and fed it in through there. It didn't really work very well, but then, I haven't used a CB since about 1977. I used to reach out 8-10 miles.

Once I get my Prinsu rack installed, I'll probably get a better antenna and have it tuned by someone who knows what they are doing.

Reactions: Rocky and Mike G

CO_Justin

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Olivehurst, CA
Member #

Winter here (although pretty mild) so all of our hoses are shut off. I plan to do a full review, just not sure how quickly.

First impression is very good! I have unpacking photos, and for a Chinese carton, it is much better than most. We ordered two, and one had some shipping damage. RodShower was very quick to respond, and sent me a replacement part USPS Priority. I did pump the empty tank up with my compressor, and it holds at 29PSI.

I'm going to compare times to fill a gallon jug with my WaterBrick/12V pump, as well as how far it squirts, how easy to get into action and put away, etc.

I'll start a review thread, and add to it as I make progress.
You are much more prepared than I am. If I need a shower I just use the Helio Shower by Nemo. Your setup is definitely more robust than mine though. Can't wait to hear how it turns out!