Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Medina, OH
First Name
James
Last Name
Parada
Member #

It's been a long time since there have been any updates to this thread. That changed yesterday. After a long wait, we had a Prinsu Party yesterday. Five local 4Runner owners installed two of the three full-length Prinsu racks, and we'll do the third probably next week.
What a great time we had : )

Reactions: Steve

SAFETYRUNNER

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRHZ939
It's been a long time since there have been any updates to this thread. That changed yesterday. After a long wait, we had a Prinsu Party yesterday. Five local 4Runner owners installed two of the three full-length Prinsu racks, and we'll do the third probably next week.

Mine was the second installed, and it went much quicker than the first, having learned some techniques the first time around. Drilling the two holes in the roof didn't cause me any concern like some folks have had. A step drill made easy drilling, and things lined up perfectly!

I also added the Gobi ladder and upgraded lift gate struts yesterday.

Today, I started mounting stuff to the PrinSu rack.

Here are some quick photos of the PrinSu full-length roof rack with the Gobi ladder, the 32" OPT7 LED light bar from my Outback, and a RoadShower 2. I'll take better photos later.

I've put it off way too long with the weather (we just turned our outside hoses on a week ago!) and some extended family issues, but I'm going to do a full review (hopefully with video) of the Road Shower. I'm looking forward to putting it to the test now that the rack is finally on the 4Runner!

Hey @SLO Rob I forgot to ask if these modifications are okay with you, and if you minded if I drilled into the roof of my 4Runner? ;)

View attachment 21819
Great sticker set. I hope you're getting big royalties!

Seriously, many thanks for this thread. I'm jealously thinking of all the pieces I want (and don't want) to add.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I hope you're getting big royalties!
Ha! The only free one was the New Belgium Brewing sticker. The Road Shower cost me a Road Shower 2, and the Overland Bound one has cost me a fortune spending money to #outfitandexplore ;) The rest I paid them to advertise for them.

Red was my second choice. Hey! It was one year ago today that I picked up my new 4Runner!!

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Exactly! Here's the STP sticker on my first car. The other side had Moon Equiped, with the eyeball "O"s :) I can't remember what the diamond shaped one above it was. Maybe Sunoco?

That's your first car? Not that I'm judging or anything, but how old are you!? [emoji15]

Reactions: Steve

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

That's your first car? Not that I'm judging or anything, but how old are you!?
Yep. It was a 1929 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan. I bought it in 1967, when I was 14 years old for $80. I spent the next two years rebuilding the engine, cleaning off countless coats of paint, hammering out the fenders, spraying what seemed like gallons of primer and then lacquer putty. Endless hours with body files, and finally had it painted. I still have a spare Ooh-Gah horn, steering wheel, and marbled shift knob.

It was a blast to drive in high school when everyone else had an Impala, big ol' Dodge, or an occasional Mustang. I know for a fact that I could take me, seven girls, and a dog in it, and still drive. I even had a 6V jack on the end of the dash, and when parked somewhere, would plug in my portable record player. I warped my Chicago Transit Authority album beyond playability when I left it in the sun on the running board...

Sold it when I went off to college for $800, and bought the 1969 FIAT 124 Wagon shown in the "Your first adventure vehicle" thread.

My birth certificate says I'm 63, but my mind says I'm still a kid. My 20 year old daughter even says I'm immature...

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

Lol. That's awesome. My first car was a '73 nova that I paid $300 for and drove the wheels off it. It was... transportation. [emoji846]

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

How can I get lost with all this? We like the Garmin 2797 much better than the 4Runner's OEM nav system, and I was looking for a solid mount for the iPad running Gaia GPS

Thanks to @Lifestyle Overland , I've got everything I need (and more!) He put together a video and build list using RAM Mounts, and I tweaked it for the Garmin instead of his HAM radio.

I'll rarely have the need for both the iPad and Garmin, but I can if needed. Or I can mount something else in the second spot if the need arises.

Thanks again, Kevin!

IMG_3425.jpg IMG_3423.jpg IMG_3424.jpg

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

I just installed the Gaia app to try it this weekend. Didn't work out well. I need to take the time to learn how it works and how to download maps ahead of time. I thought I had downloaded the right map, but was wrong. Good thing I had my Montana too. Did you use a tutorial to learn how Gaia works or just figured it out?

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Reactions: TGF and YETI X