Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

I haven't been doing much with the 4Runner lately other than enjoying driving it. Yesterday I tore out the center stack and added a switch that overrides the rear camera. Now I can have the rear camera on at any time, not just when in reverse. The harness I used has further options to add a switcher and switch between rear, front, and side cameras, which I may add at some point.

I've used one month of my free three month Sirius Radio subscription, so I've started fiddling with how to wire in my Sirius Sportster 5 radio from the Outback. I'm doing this instead of using the built in Sirius because I have a lifetime subscription tied to the Sportster. A couple pieces are on their way from Amazon, and then I'll post some photos.

Also soon to be on its way is a pair of C4 Fabrication Rock Sliders! I got in on the group buy over on T4R.org, and they will be delivered directly to a local powder coating business. Photos to come on those in a couple of weeks, too.

Sample photos (mine won't have any text)

View attachment 4784 View attachment 4785 View attachment 4786 View attachment 4787
These are the sliders I'm going with too. Best looking in my opinion, others are to far tucked up into the body or look like just some basic square tube. Hmm wonder if itshe too late to get in on that group buy.

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I ordered a Midland 75-822 on Amazon's Prime Day, and it arrived today. I also got the Wilson Lil Will magnetic antenna. I haven't used a CB since it was a big thing in the '70s. Sorta the equivalent to social media today.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
I ordered a Midland 75-822 on Amazon's Prime Day, and it arrived today.
I say it all the time but you have to love Prime!

Since I sold my other car threads like yours and others really make me consider a 4Runner. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

WrightRunner

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

MONUMENT RANCH PERRIS CA 92570
First Name
Douglas
Last Name
Wright
Member #

These are the sliders I'm going with too. Best looking in my opinion, others are to far tucked up into the body or look like just some basic square tube. Hmm wonder if itshe too late to get in on that group buy.
I like those sliders. those are the c4 sliders aren't they? how long did it take to get them after you ordered them?

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

those are the c4 sliders aren't they? how long did it take to get them after you ordered them?
I was in on a group buy over on t4r.org, and was the 4th person to jump on. I got mine without finish, so once the orders started shipping, mine was in the first batch. About two weeks after the group buy closed and they started making sliders, mine arrived at my local powder coating business. I shared shipping and powder-coat batch cost with another local buyer, and he ordered the wrong sliders, so mine was delayed locally while his were exchanged. I'm still waiting for them to finish.

Crispy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redmond, OR, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Crisp
Member #

I finally got around to putting together an actual recovery gear kit as well. I had been just throwing pieces of kit in amongst all my other gear. Now, I have a box with everything inside that I can grab and go, much better.View attachment 6224
Still need to add a good snatch block though.
I love your dogs expression in this photo. [emoji106]

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

We *finally* got the C4 Fabrication rock sliders mounted on my 4Runner. They look fantastic! I was #4 on the group buy, but they spent two months at my powder coat guy! Shoulda just had Caleb do them for the $25 I saved... Thanks to #ohio_hawk for the guidance and massive amount of help. It was 90 with 96 heat index while we did this!

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

I liked the C4 Fabrication sliders because they had the separate step plate and looked a little different than most brands. Plus, the 2X2 supports are turned 45° for more strength, with angled gussets. They look really strong!

The removable plates were done so that the powder coat gets better coverage. You've all seen deep pockets or corners with limited on no coverage on powder coated parts. Having the steps separate eliminates those pockets, so I'm less likely to have rust in the nooks and crannies.

And having the rear of the step tube stop where it does instead of returning to the main slider like most nerf style bars gives it a distinctive look. I'm very pleased!

Reactions: Lifestyle Overland

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

i just ordered mine.
Mike and I ordered ours together to share shipping, and he knew this powder coat guy, so we saved a little $$. Mike ordered a bag of #10-24 X 1/2" stainless steel button head screws to use on the steps, instead of the supplied zinc plated self-tapping torx pan head screws. They were only $7 for 100, and should prevent rust better than the plated screws. plus they look a little better. We just ran the self-tappers in first to start the thread, and then used the stainless screws.

We also sprayed the frame rail and back of the slider with Fluid Film to prevent any rust building up between them. And sprayed some Film Fluid into the tubes through the step holes prior to mounting. Lastly, we used anti-seize on all the frame fasteners.

Mike did his first, and it took him two hours for the passenger side, and 3-1/2 hours for the drivers (we both have KDSS.) I wasn't available to help him. He came to my house yesterday, and with his knowledge of what needs removed and pried, and having four hands instead of two, we did mine in 2-1/2 hours! Plus, he used a floor jack and a couple jack stands to get his in place. I have a motorcycle lift, so it was easy to maneuver the sliders into place and holding them while installing the fasteners.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

We *finally* got the C4 Fabrication rock sliders mounted on my 4Runner. They look fantastic! I was #4 on the group buy, but they spent two months at my powder coat guy! Shoulda just had Caleb do them for the $25 I saved... Thanks to #ohio_hawk for the guidance and massive amount of help. It was 90 with 96 heat index while we did this!

Those are sweet! Can't wait to replace the stockers with these ore something similiar

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Well, I sure didn't get everything done that I wanted to on the 4Runner this summer. But it is time for us to leave on this year's cross-country trip, so what's left to do will just get done later.

I never did figure out how to best wire the light bar on the front of the basket. I have the switch wire going through the cabin grommet, and connected to an Air on Board switch. But in the end, I just did the external wiring in the same Mickey Mouse fashion as I did on the Outback: I put some 3M zip tie pads along the edge of the windscreen and along the roof filler back to the basket, and zip tied the wire into place. Not pretty, but I'll get to use the light when needed.

I bought a CB radio for this trip, too. This is the first CB I've had in 40 years! The airwaves are quite a bit different now. A license was required back in the '70s, and swearing wasn't tolerated. Now it seems to be required in every sentence... There's a lot less radio traffic now, too. Back then, CB was the social network of the day, like SnapChat without pictures. Now it is pretty quiet.

I bought a Cobra 29 LX, and a 4 foot no ground plane FireStik, which is mounted on the roof basket. I'd tried a Lil Wil magnetic mount, but it didn't like sticking up through the bars of the basket, and I got an antenna error. Didn't work well on the little space forward of the sunroof, either. I mounted the radio to a board that I've bungie-corded to the rear of the console for now. Big radio, and not really anywhere to mount it in the 4Runner, so this will do for now.

Yesterday I took out the driver's side rear seat bottom so that I have access to the floor storage on our trip. After we drop our daughter off at college, I'll tumble the passenger rear seat forward, but that blocks access to the rear 12v outlets.

Heading out, we'll use the same RoofBag we used last year for her suitcase of school clothes, and then store it for our exploration. That worked great last year on the Outback, giving us good dry storage that could later be tucked away. I don't think we'll need to use the hitch-mounted basket we used last year, as she stored most of her stuff in Seattle.

Looking back through this thread, I see that my photos liked to Facebook don't show up any longer. I just created the account before last year's trip, so I am unfamiliar with Facebook having links expire. I'll fix those after we get back.

For those of you who want to follow along, see the Instagram and Facebook links in my sig. I post on Instagram, and they get forwarded to Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr. I try to respond to any comments or questions on all of those platforms, and then occasionally post photos on various forums. So the most up to date info is on those social media accounts.

Like last year, we will leave from the Cleveland, Ohio area (this year leaving on Saturday, September 10) and heading west. Unlike last year, we won't be making the trip to Seattle in four days of mind-numbing interstate driving. Our daughter saw all the great places we explored on our return trip last year, and asked if we could leave earlier so she could see some this time.

We will most likely head across Iowa again, but continue west across Nebraska instead of up to Sioux Falls and across South Dakota like last time. Then wander our way northwestward to take in several state and national parks.

This will be a road trip, not an overlanding expedition. We don't have room for camping gear, and will be staying at motels. We usually stop someplace for lunch where we can relax in the camp chairs and make a light lunch. Sometimes, well roll out the awning for some shade, but last year was unseasonably cool, so we welcomed the sun for warmth. And while we are road-tripping, we will still try to explore out of the way places, and hit some forest roads and gravel where we can find them.

I hope you enjoy riding along, and I'll drop in now and then with updates,
Steve

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

awesome cant wait to see some more pics. the chatter really pics up on the freeway, at least around here.

Reactions: Steve