Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Plan on leaving Spokane Friday 7/13/18 at about noon. We will drive east on I90 until Saltese Montana. From there we'll exit and head west onto Silver Creek Rd, which quickly turns to gravel/fire maintenance road and begin climbing into the mountains. Once on silver creek rd, it's about an hour through the forest and one right-hand turn that'll drop you down to the pristine silver lake. It's a beautiful alpine lake that has amazing views and wildlife.

Feel free to meetup in Spokane to caravan or at any point along the route.

[EDIT] We'll be meeting at Applebees parking lot on pines and mission at 12:15 and departing there at 12:30
https://www.google.com/maps/search/applebees+on+pines+ave/@47.6719458,-117.2422541,17.25z

I plan on staying until Sunday.

View Rally Point
Last edited:

Out_and_Back_Again

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Moscow, ID
First Name
Geoffrey
Last Name
Brown
I don't think I can make it because of a work trip. If I can get back in time I'll try. I'm excited to get to know those in the region.

I'm curious if this trail is suitable for a mid 93 suburban with no recovery gear?

Reactions: Aaron Niemi

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
Looks like a great plan. I've got Robin that weekend or I'd be there. I need to figure out a way she can come camping with me.

Sandpoint Steve

US NorthWest Region Local Expert
Supporter

Pathfinder III

Sandpoint, Idaho
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Marchiando
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7POE
I don't think I can make it because of a work trip. If I can get back in time I'll try. I'm excited to get to know those in the region.

I'm curious if this trail is suitable for a mid 93 suburban with no recovery gear?
It's my understanding that a 93 suburban will go just about anywhere. I'm sure Aaron would be willing to give you a hug if needed, but I bet you'd be fine. With that width, you might get more pinstripes than the rest of us get.

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

The last time I was up there (a few years ago) I'd say it's definitely doable. The road up is narrow, so if someone is coming down passing is a challenge in a wide vehicle.

Hope you can make it.

Thanks!
-Aaron

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I've got an extra 3 man and big ole 12x12 cabin hunting tent if we want to have a rave or something, a wheel chair could fit right through the door.

Reactions: Aaron Niemi

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

@Sandpoint Steve If there is a weekend before that, and you want to go, I'd be game to pre-run it. Maybe even a day trip or a quick overnight. Goes for anyone that has time before then.
-Aaron

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
I definitely won’t be able to leave at noon on Friday. I looked up the route there. Looks easy enough to find.

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

I definitely won’t be able to leave at noon on Friday. I looked up the route there. Looks easy enough to find.
Totally understandable. Yeah it's a simple route and I'm sure there's more than one way to get there. You can see the road from Google Satellite the whole way, but for some reason google is unable to map the entire route up silver creek rd. But once you're on silver creek rd, it's only one right turn. Just be aware of dirt bikers and side by sides.

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Mike Dubya

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Dubya
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTN
Screenshot-2018-6-11 Forest Service Visitor Map.png This sounds like fun. Does anyone know if we are camping lakeside? Are there campsites? Is there an outhouse? Neither are requirements, but it would be good to be prepared.

I hope no one follows Google maps! What a re-route! The USFS map shows how easy it is to get to.

Last edited:

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Yeah assuming there is room, we'll be lakeside. Last time I was there, there was 3 fire pits around the lake (not official). A couple of the spots next to the lake can put a few vehicles/tents in, there are more space a little bit further in from the lake. Overall there is quite a bit of room. There is one vaulted toilet.

Paul Daniels

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane Washington
Member #

View attachment 58494 This sounds like fun. Does anyone know if we are camping lakeside? Are there campsites? Is there an outhouse? Neither are requirements, but it would be good to be prepared.

I hope no one follows Google maps! What a re-route! The USFS map shows how easy it is to get to.
No bathrooms and it's not lakeside, it's a bald spot on top of the mountain, nice drive up and down tho

Paul Daniels

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane Washington
Member #

View attachment 58494 This sounds like fun. Does anyone know if we are camping lakeside? Are there campsites? Is there an outhouse? Neither are requirements, but it would be good to be prepared.

No bathrooms and it's not lakeside, it's a bald spot on top of the mountain, nice drive up and down tho
No bathrooms and it's not lakeside, it's a bald spot on top of the mountain, nice drive up and down. Nevermind, commenting on wrong trip, lol