Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Looks like we should be good to go for the Applebees meeting point. Just have to make sure we are packed up and ready. I have CB and GMRS (3 if others need one). See ya there.
Excellent! I'll be on channel 4 on the GMRS as soon I leave work. See ya at Applebees!

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

I just called the ranger station and campfires are OK! woot woot! Unfortunately, I left my firewood at home, so we'll need to grab some on the way up!

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I'm checking on here, we just got back to the cabin via the IDBR section from Wallace to Pierce. It dawned on me I don't have cell service up here, so at least @Aaron Niemi and @Paul Daniels,l know Sasquatch didn't get us! Great trip , Aaron, and loved meeting up with the whole crew.

Reactions: Aaron Niemi

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

I'm checking on here, we just got back to the cabin via the IDBR section from Wallace to Pierce. It dawned on me I don't have cell service up here, so at least @Aaron Niemi and @Paul Daniels,l know Sasquatch didn't get us! Great trip , Aaron, and loved meeting up with the whole crew.
Awesome! Glad you made it back safely. I had a great time. Thanks again for coming, I'm looking forward to the next one.

Reactions: britz

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Maybe this is a good place to ask: what types of radios are folks in the Eastern Wa, idaho area running on these types of trips?

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app
The whole spectrum... I'm only running GMRS Currently, but I'll be putting in a CB soon. @britz I think is running HAM and CB, Paul is running CB, @Sandpoint Steve is running HAM. @Captain Chaos is running CB & HAM, @chuckoverland is running GMRS... Anyone correct me if I'm wrong. So it's a mixed bag, but I don't think I've ever had a time where someone wasn't able to communicate in one way or another, either passing out spare radios, or relaying from CB to GMRS.
-Aaron

LostCays

Rank 0

Traveler I

The whole spectrum... I'm only running GMRS Currently, but I'll be putting in a CB soon. @britz I think is running HAM and CB, Paul is running CB, @Sandpoint Steve is running HAM. @Captain Chaos is running CB & HAM, @chuckoverland is running GMRS... Anyone correct me if I'm wrong. So it's a mixed bag, but I don't think I've ever had a time where someone wasn't able to communicate in one way or another, either passing out spare radios, or relaying from CB to GMRS.
-Aaron
Boy, what a pain in the butt. It is too bad there is not a settled platform. In the old days everyone would be on CB, not the best technology perhaps, but at least everyone was there. Seems nearly unavoidable to have to run more than one kind of radio. As a boater used to being able to grab the VHF and expect to be able to talk to nearly any other boat, this soup of radio formats is dissappointing. I wish someone made a radio that would roll from VHF to CB to SSB to HAM. Might need more than one antenna, but it seems like it should be doable.

Aaron Niemi

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Spokane, WA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Niemi
Member #

Boy, what a pain in the butt. It is too bad there is not a settled platform. In the old days everyone would be on CB, not the best technology perhaps, but at least everyone was there. Seems nearly unavoidable to have to run more than one kind of radio. As a boater used to being able to grab the VHF and expect to be able to talk to nearly any other boat, this soup of radio formats is dissappointing. I wish someone made a radio that would roll from VHF to CB to SSB to HAM. Might need more than one antenna, but it seems like it should be doable.

I think it's more of a legal/licensing issue, since you have to have different permits for HAM vs GMRS or none for CB. Also, I think you can pickup most frequencies with HAM but you're not permitted to transmit since you're overpower (I think that's why, anyways, but I don't have my HAM license so it could be BS). Eventually, I'll get my HAM license but I'm just getting started so GMRS seemed to be the most bang for the buck. CB next, then HAM.

I agree I wish there was one to cover them all, but it is what it is.

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
The only reason I have CB is because I live and ride in logging territory, you NEED to know when and where those trucks are rolling. I've had Ham because it has the best chance of getting out over steep mountain terrain, and at 15 dollars for a 10 year license, it's way cheaper than GMRS.

I don't know about GMRS, but we can get IDL, law enforcement, first responder channels, etc., in case of wildfires, emergencies, and such. Being that my boyfriend and I are volunteer fire, and living in the woods, this has proven invaluable every year.

We do have some of those FRS radios, but the CB and Ham get used constantly, even for spotting on trails. The guys on this trip were the first that I ran into using GMRS.

LostCays

Rank 0

Traveler I

The only reason I have CB is because I live and ride in logging territory, you NEED to know when and where those trucks are rolling. I've had Ham because it has the best chance of getting out over steep mountain terrain, and at 15 dollars for a 10 year license, it's way cheaper than GMRS.

I don't know about GMRS, but we can get IDL, law enforcement, first responder channels, etc., in case of wildfires, emergencies, and such. Being that my boyfriend and I are volunteer fire, and living in the woods, this has proven invaluable every year.

We do have some of those FRS radios, but the CB and Ham get used constantly, even for spotting on trails. The guys on this trip were the first that I ran into using GMRS.
Good info. Thanks.