Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

Maxtrax are NOT the most expensive traction mat/ladder. They are just the most proven, utilized by global travelers, militaries, desert racers and weekend warriors. Buy once-cry once applies to what I consider best of breed and proven over and over in real-world tests, not a function of price, you're confusing the two. I've watched budget knock-offs fail, I've watched/used Maxtrax perform, in sand, snow, mud and swamps. Beyond the proven performance, I still think it is hack to support knock-off products that fail to innovate beyond reverse engineering and a subsequently lower price.
Maxtrax are certainly at the top end of polymer traction aid performance, and pricing. However, I never doubted their the capability. I am just saying, everyone does not need top-of-the-line performance with every piece of their gear. For the rest of us mortals with limited budgets, it is silly not want to compare relative value.

That ultimate value is simply in getting unstuck. Sure, if someone has $50,000 to outfit their rigs with gear to cross Africa, then they can go crazy! Realistically, though, someone who only has a few hundred to spend on recovery gear could probably do a lot better to buy, for example, a good shovel, an exhaust jack, and a pair (or two, even) of knock-off traction aids rather than just MaxTrax alone.

I'm just saying, there is no need to snub your nose at every product that isn't the top of the line. And, I absolutely disagree with your principle that creating an alternate version of some product--the "immitation"--is inherently a bad thing. Maxtfax found a new way to do business; that is great! But, innovation hinges on the constant struggle to find a *better* way to do something. Sometines that means improving efficacy without increasing cost, and sometimes that means cutting costs without reducing efficacy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saints&Sailors

TMP

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Colorado
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Powers
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ONM
Subscribed.
Interested to hear some feedback.

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

Thanks for posting pics! Mine are supposed to arrive later today. So I take it your initial impressions are positive? How do they stack? How are the hand grip holes? Possible to use as an impromptu shovel?

Reactions: drumber