South Puget Sound members

• HTML tutorial

Justinwrites

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Olympia, WA
Member #

Woo! I am over the cold finally, survived the holidays and my 20th wedding anniversary! Holy crap December went fast. If anyone is in Olympia and wants to catch a brew sometime give me a shout. Feel like I missed out.

whiskey7backroads

Rank VI
Launch Member

Endurance II

Olympia Washington
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Conklin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7BR
I will be back in Feb and we can do that. Also working on getting a recurring RP going. Just on the road to AZ right now so limited planning time

Tacomaboatguy

Rank 0

Contributor I

just found this thread, if possible could I tag along? I really like beer and enjoy coffee also. New to the area, currently living in Tacoma. New to overlanding as well. Just starting to outfit my truck.

Jwoods360

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Port Orchard, WA, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Woods
Member #

I'd be interested in a meetup as well. I'll keep any eye out if you decide to set anything up. New to these forums, and I'm always up for beer and meeting people that share the same interests!

Reactions: Tacomaboatguy

Tacomaboatguy

Rank 0

Contributor I

I wouldnt mind getting a small trip together for the end of March/April time depending on snow. I was thinking of running the WABDR from the Cascade Locks up to Ellensburg. It looks to be mostly Nation Fire roads and should be pretty clear and wide enough for some full size rigs. Looks to be doable over a 3 day weekend at a pretty slow pace. Maybe we all get together to plan this out a bit more? I would most likely not want to be the leader or lead a multi day trip as I am new to the area.

Jwoods360

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Port Orchard, WA, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Woods
Member #

A buddy of mine and myself are planning to drive that entire route in July. I'd actually be down to check out a couple areas before we do the whole thing.

Justinwrites

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Olympia, WA
Member #

I would love to do this. My understanding is that some of this trail remains pretty bound up with snow and downed trees into the summer. So yeah, let's plot and plan. Sounds like fun

Justinwrites

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Olympia, WA
Member #

Justin, do you know of any day trips around our area? Might try to get out this Sunday for a quick trip.
Well, not exactly. Lol I'm pretty new to driving something more capable than a Sentra so I'm still discovering routes. There's Tahuya park, but I understand it's more like a challenge course than a day trip. I drive into Capitol Forest for a half day escape from the city. We drove up to Wynoochee Dam and then wandered around up there before taking Donkey Creek Road back to 101. Maybe some one else will have better ideas. A lot of roads are probably under a lot of snow.

Tacomaboatguy

Rank 0

Contributor I

Think I will be heading out to Longmire/Paradise to see if I can find anything fun to do. Will be taking my scale crawler and dragging my buddy with me. Anyone is free to join. Not sure when we will head out or even have a definite plan yet.

Sarge368

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Darby, MT
First Name
John
Last Name
Branham
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7ECC
If you head up to the northwest corner of Mt Rainier there are a set of trails called Evans Creek. Nothing real hard and if you end up wanting to skip Evans Creek the forest service roads up there are nice and offer amazing views of the mountain.
I have (attempted) to attach kmz file with one route at Evans Creek. At worst it provides the gps coordinates for the start. To start out you head for the Carbon River entrance to Mt Rainier. If the file doesn’t work I can send it is a different format also. Hope this helps some.

Attachments

Jwoods360

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Port Orchard, WA, USA
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Woods
Member #

If you head up to the northwest corner of Mt Rainier there are a set of trails called Evans Creek. Nothing real hard and if you end up wanting to skip Evans Creek the forest service roads up there are nice and offer amazing views of the mountain.
I have (attempted) to attach kmz file with one route at Evans Creek. At worst it provides the gps coordinates for the start. To start out you head for the Carbon River entrance to Mt Rainier. If the file doesn’t work I can send it is a different format also. Hope this helps some.
Thanks for this. I might actually go check this out next weekend, provided the weather is clear enough for some good views. That file opened perfectly in Google Earth and shows the entire route. Have you gone there since our big snow? Just curious if you think snow is something I should be expecting or not.

Sarge368

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Darby, MT
First Name
John
Last Name
Branham
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7ECC
Thanks for this. I might actually go check this out next weekend, provided the weather is clear enough for some good views. That file opened perfectly in Google Earth and shows the entire route. Have you gone there since our big snow? Just curious if you think snow is something I should be expecting or not.
No I haven’t been in a couple of months.

Sarge368

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Darby, MT
First Name
John
Last Name
Branham
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7ECC
If you didn’t make it up there I may head up next Tuesday or Wednesday to get away from the City. Wednesday is looking like the better weather day.

Sarge368

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Darby, MT
First Name
John
Last Name
Branham
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7ECC
I wouldnt mind getting a small trip together for the end of March/April time depending on snow. I was thinking of running the WABDR from the Cascade Locks up to Ellensburg. It looks to be mostly Nation Fire roads and should be pretty clear and wide enough for some full size rigs. Looks to be doable over a 3 day weekend at a pretty slow pace. Maybe we all get together to plan this out a bit more? I would most likely not want to be the leader or lead a multi day trip as I am new to the area.
I have done two and a half sections of the WABDR. Definitely a fun trip. I don’t think the whole trip could be done in three days unless you are going morning to night and not stopping to enjoy the views. The last section we attempted was from Cashmere to Ellensburg. About half way through we came across a washout. We were with another couple who were new to Jeeping so we didn’t try and pass it. Motorcycles were going on but it was fairly dicey for larger rigs.

I am hoping to make another go of getting from Packwood to Winthrop with three nights camping this summer.