First Name
Scotty
Last Name
Joseph
Member #

** March 2024 Meeting Notes**

Attendees: 16

Hey South Bay Crew,

Thanks to all who came out and thanks for another great meetup! Huge thanks to 4WP for providing us with a BBQ lunch.

- Discussion Topic -
Huge huge thanks to Ernie for an amazing presentation on communications! Ernie provided us with a lot of useful information on GMRS radio usage and equipment, which is our main form of communication while out on our trips. Ernie went over why GMRS is our choice of comms and how to take full advantage of its capabilities. Ernie also covered some info on HAM radios, which is our second form of communications. We also had a good discussion on satellite communications about checking in with family to SOS situations. We also went over communication etiquette, while out on the trail as a group.

If you missed this meetup and would like info on this topic or if you have any questions related to comms, please reach out to me or Ernie directly.

- Mojave Trail Guardian Convoys -
We have two convoys going down to the Mojave Trail Guardian on two different days.

- Convoy #1 - Thursday, March 21st - As for right now there are 6 of us who are going down a day early to camp out and explore before the event. If you’re signed up for this convoy, expect an email with trip details in a day or two.

- Convoy #2 - Friday, March 22nd - Joe & Stephen are planning a convoy to go down together on the day of.

If you’re signed up to either project #1 or project #2, either one of these convoys are open for you to join. For convoy #1 reach out to me directly and for convoy #2 reach out to Joe, Let'sGoBrandon or Stephen, WJLander.

- Next Monthly Meetup -
- April 13th - Basic Vehicle Maintenance: Overland travel can be extremely tough on your rig especially if you’re doing a lot of off-road driving. Any exposure to trail elements such as mud, water, dust, rocks and dirt will wear components out way faster than under normal use. It’s important to get into the habit of performing regular maintenance checks before and after every overland trip to avoid breakdowns out on the trail or on the highway. We’ll be explaining the best practices on doing regular maintenance inspections so you become familiar with your vehicle and become more capable to address any problems that may arise when you are out on a trail.

- Scotty

Reactions: Kent R

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
Hello All,

I have created a Rally Point for a trip to Usal Beach starting April 19 (Friday): Usal Beach – Redwoods

This is an easygoing trip, great for people new to over-landing or dry camping. Both nights will be at Usal, with an optional day trip to the Redwoods and other sites on Saturday (exact itinerary to be determined based on group interest).

Cheers, D
20220922_175811.jpg

Wandering_Scotty

Rank VII

Pioneer II

San Jose, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
Joseph
Member #

** Upcoming Monthly Meetup **

Date: Saturday, April 13th
Time: 10:30AM - 12PM
Location: 4 Wheel Parts in San Jose, 550 W San Carlos St, San Jose, CA 95126, 37.32519, -121.89919.

Main Discussion: Basic Vehicle Maintenance:
Overland travel can be extremely tough on your rig especially if you’re doing a lot of off-road driving. Any exposure to trail elements such as mud, water, dust, rocks and dirt will wear components out way faster than under normal use. It’s important to get into the habit of performing regular maintenance checks before and after every overland trip to avoid breakdowns out on the trail or on the highway. We’ll be explaining the best practices on doing regular maintenance inspections so you become familiar with your vehicle and become more capable to address any problems that may arise when you are out on a trail.

Look forward to seeing everyone at the meetup!
- Scotty

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
Thanks Scotty for a great meeting today - good info on things to check! Key takeaway for me was a paint-pen to mark bolt/nut positions!

The Usal trip is looking awesome! Great weather - 40's - 60's on the beach, warmer inland, winds 10-20mph (kite opportunity!) Still a few slots left. Hope to see you there!

20220922_Usal campsite.jpg