Pioneer II

San Jose, Santa Clara County, California, United States
First Name
Scotty
Last Name
Joseph
Member #

Hey South Bay Crew!

Thanks to everyone who came out to our Vehicle Weigh-in event today! It was a lot of fun!

The South Bay crew held an event to go weigh our vehicles in San Jose. We each weighed our rigs fully (or mostly) loaded. We did our front & rear axles independently and then weighed the entire vehicle. After we all discovered how heavy our rigs were, we went out to grab some lunch and had some awesome conversation!

We’ll be holding another vehicle weigh-in event at the beginning of next year. So keep can eye out for it!

-Scotty

Firefighter11

Rank I

Contributor II

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Mauro
Hey South Bay Crew!

Thanks to everyone who came out to our Vehicle Weigh-in event today! It was a lot of fun!

The South Bay crew held an event to go weigh our vehicles in San Jose. We each weighed our rigs fully (or mostly) loaded. We did our front & rear axles independently and then weighed the entire vehicle. After we all discovered how heavy our rigs were, we went out to grab some lunch and had some awesome conversation!

We’ll be holding another vehicle weigh-in event at the beginning of next year. So keep can eye out for it!

-Scotty
Dang I thought the weigh in was next Saturday. I’m bummed I missed it. Can you send the address of the scale so I can weigh my truck.

Wandering_Scotty

Rank VII

Pioneer II

First Name
Scotty
Last Name
Joseph
Member #

**New Location**
I'm excited to announce that we have a new location for our meet ups! We’re going to be meeting up at 4 Wheel Parts in San Jose! The date & time are still the same. The address is 550 W San Carlos St, San Jose, CA 95126 and the coordinates are 37.32519, -121.89919.

I've attached a map of the 4 Wheel Parts parking lot. I highlighted 3 sections on the map. The green area will be the area of our meet up. The red area will be for customer parking. The purple area will be overflow parking if the lot gets full. If you plan on leaving the meet up early or if you don’t want to be boxed in, please let us know when you get to the meet up so we can direct you on where to park.

O.B.S.B_4WP_MAP.jpg

Wandering_Scotty

Rank VII

Pioneer II

First Name
Scotty
Last Name
Joseph
Member #

Hey South Bay Crew!

Thanks to everyone who showed up to the monthly meet up! It was great catching up with you all and seeing new faces!

Our new meet up location at 4 Wheel Parts is fantastic! This will be our location for the recurring meet ups moving forward. Huge huge thanks to Rodrigo for making this happen and I want to thank the staff at 4 Wheel Parts for being extremely accommodating and helpful and giving us this opportunity!

Meet Up Address: 4 Wheel Parts in San Jose, 550 W San Carlos St, San Jose, CA 95126
Meet Up coordinates: 37.32519, -121.89919

Look forward to seeing everyone at next month’s meet up!
-Scotty

Wandering_Scotty

Rank VII

Pioneer II

First Name
Scotty
Last Name
Joseph
Member #

The South Bay Crew had an amazing trip to Corral Hollow this weekend. We started our trip just past Arnold on a mellow forest road through beautiful dense forest that lead us towards the trail head of Bailey Ridge. Once we reached Bailey Ridge, the rain started to turn into snow. We entered Corral Hollow from the west and it was snow the entire way up to the cabin. We camped on the meadow next to the cabin and woke up the next morning to a clear sky and freezing temperatures. On Sunday we made our way down the technical eastern side of the trail and it was for sure an adventure! The trail was action packed with snow with a lot of frozen / icy spots on the steep climbs!

Thank you to Steve, Scott, Ryan and Joe! It was a great trip!

Attachments

Last edited:

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
The South Bay Crew had an amazing trip to Corral Hollow this weekend. We started our trip just past Arnold on a mellow forest road through beautiful dense forest that lead us towards the trail head of Bailey Ridge. Once we reached Bailey Ridge, the rain started to turn into snow. We entered Corral Hollow from the west and it was snow the entire way up to the cabin. We camped on the meadow next to the cabin and woke up the next morning to a clear sky and freezing temperatures. On Sunday we made our way down the technical eastern side of the trail and it was for sure an adventure! The trail was action packed with snow with a lot of frozen / icy spots on the steep climbs!

Thank you to Steve, Scott, Ryan and Joe! It was a great trip!
Glad to see you all made it out on Sunday, it looks like the weather was much improved! After we ran into you near the cabin we explored Jelmini Basin and Flag Pole Point, and then got sidetracked moving a fallen tree off the trail and blocking an illegal bypass. While heading down highway 4 that evening it started to rain very heavily and we were concerned you would get 1+ feet of snow up at 8000 feet.

Reactions: ProtonDecay

Steve Schwarzenbach

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Schwarzenbach
Member #

You left out the freezing rain all evening in camp, Scotty. All in all, it was a great trip. We all seemed to be adequately (barely) prepared for the conditions. Saturday was challenging weather-wise. Sunday was gorgeous but a little challenging technically. Let's go again!

Attachments

KD-100

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Morgan Hill, CA, USA
First Name
Khanh
Last Name
Dinh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6TYM
South Bay Monthly Meet Up is tomorrow, 10:30AM at 4 Wheel Parts in San Jose, 550 W San Carlos St, San Jose, CA 95126 and the coordinates are 37.32519, -121.89919.

Also, don’t forget to bring a chair!

If you have any questions, feel free to message me directly!

- Scotty
Hey Scotty, is there a meet up this week?

Reactions: Wandering_Scotty

Wandering_Scotty

Rank VII

Pioneer II

First Name
Scotty
Last Name
Joseph
Member #

South Bay Monthly Meet Up is tomorrow, 10:30AM at 4 Wheel Parts in San Jose, 550 W San Carlos St, San Jose, CA 95126 and the coordinates are 37.32519, -121.89919.

Also, don’t forget to bring a chair!

If you have any questions, feel free to message me directly!

- Scotty
Hey Scotty, is there a meet up this week?
Yes! The meet up is Saturday the 13th at 4 Wheel Parts in San Jose at 10:30AM! The address is 550 W San Carlos St, San Jose, CA 95126 and the coordinates are 37.32519, -121.89919.

Last edited:

Wandering_Scotty

Rank VII

Pioneer II

First Name
Scotty
Last Name
Joseph
Member #

***January Monthly Meet Up***
Just a friendly reminder that our monthly meet up is tomorrow, Saturday the 13th at 4 Wheel Parts in San Jose at 10:30AM! The address is 550 W San Carlos St, San Jose, CA 95126 and the coordinates are 37.32519, -121.89919.

**Discussion Topic**
We’ll be discussing and planning trips for 2024. Please take some time and think about all the places you'd like to go explore and bring those ideas to the meet up!

- rain or shine!
- Don’t forget to bring a chair!

Look forward to seeing you guys there!

Wandering_Scotty

Rank VII

Pioneer II

First Name
Scotty
Last Name
Joseph
Member #

***February Monthly Meet Up Reminder***
Tomorrow, Saturday the 10th at 4 Wheel Parts in San Jose at 10:30AM! The address is 550 W San Carlos St, San Jose, CA 95126 and the coordinates are 37.32519, -121.89919.

Meeting Format
- Member Introductions
- Discussing Plans for the 4x4 Basics Workshop
- Short Discussion about the upcoming Mojave Trail Guardian
- Main Discussion Topic: Essential Off-Road Gear

I look forward to seeing the crew tomorrow! If you have any questions, please reach out to me directly.

- Scotty

Wandering_Scotty

Rank VII

Pioneer II

First Name
Scotty
Last Name
Joseph
Member #

***February Monthly Meet Up Reminder***
Tomorrow, Saturday the 10th at 4 Wheel Parts in San Jose at 10:30AM! The address is 550 W San Carlos St, San Jose, CA 95126 and the coordinates are 37.32519, -121.89919.

Meeting Format
- Member Introductions
- Discussing Plans for the 4x4 Basics Workshop
- Short Discussion about the upcoming Mojave Trail Guardian
- Main Discussion Topic: Essential Off-Road Gear

I look forward to seeing the crew tomorrow! If you have any questions, please reach out to me directly.

- Scotty

Reactions: Firefighter11

Wandering_Scotty

Rank VII

Pioneer II

First Name
Scotty
Last Name
Joseph
Member #

Hey Crew,

The Mojave Trail Guardian Project #2 is in need of more members to help out with this project. The Trail Guardian events are a great way to give back to our community and meet new Overlanders from all over the region. This event is very kid friendly and great for the entire family. This event is also full size, cross over and extremely trailer friendly.

One of my favorite parts of the event is on Saturday night, there will be an extremely insightful NPS presentation, a huge bonfire and the Overland Bound raffle.

The South Bay Crew is also organizing convoys down to the Mojave and back home from the Mojave so we can travel as a group.

I highly recommend signing up for this event! Provided is a link to Project #2 Rally Point: Project #2 Mojave National Preserve Trail Guardian, March 22-24, 2024

If you have any questions you can reach out to me or Kent R directly.

- Scotty

Wandering_Scotty

Rank VII

Pioneer II

First Name
Scotty
Last Name
Joseph
Member #

** Upcoming Monthly Meetup **

- Date: Saturday, March 9th
- Time: 10:30AM - 12PM
- Location: 4 Wheel Parts in San Jose, 550 W San Carlos St, San Jose, CA 95126, 37.32519, -121.89919.

- Main Discussion Communications: Equipment & Comms Etiquette
This discussion will be led by our very own Ernie, also known as Ernboto. Ernie will be helping us have a better understanding of the Overlander's needs for communication equipment, how to use the equipment and communication etiquette. Proper communications while out on the trail is by far one of the most important tools you'll need to have a successful adventure! So you won’t want to miss out on this discussion!

- Trail Guardian Convoy Plans:
The South Bay Crew is planning to travel down to the Mojave a day early on March 21st to explore a bit before the event. We’ll be going over the plans at this upcoming meetup to convoy down together as a group. If you’re interested in heading down to the Mojave a day early, I highly recommend attending this meetup.

- 4x4 Workshop Recap:
We’ll have a short recap on the 4x4 Workshop we just had at Hollister. Attendees of the workshop will share their overall experience and also share some of the things they learned about 4x4 driving.

- 4WP Sale
4 Wheel Parts will also be having a sale on the same day of our meetup. So if you need any upgrades to your rig or equipment this might be a good opportunity to do it! For more information about this sale please reach out to Rodrigo at 4WP San Jose.

Look forward to seeing everyone at the meetup!

Scotty