Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Hey OC gang and beyond. One of the topics that keeps coming up at these gatherings is a group trail run. Every month without fail "we should all get together", "Let's do something". So here it is, I am putting this out to the group of those with experience.

Lets get some ideas going for an inclusive (read as easy) day trip. Big Bear was thrown out there as were some others. While this is an OC meetup I know many come from south LA and further or inland like Corona, or further. So if we keep it within those boundaries I think we can do a good day trip.

Post those ideas and let's see if we can't find a good one to put on the calendar. I would love to talk about the trip we're going to do at the next meet up rather than the "hopefully doing a trip together".

Local desert or mountains. Let's hear 'em!
I've always wanted to see the ruins of the Salton Sea's former glory. That's one idea... but might be stretching it for a day trip.

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Calico could be fun! Never been there either.
Roads at Calico and just west of there on Copper City Road, must check current open roads and trails in the area if this is an option. On MC's we went from there all the way to Randsburg in the dirt, don't know if that is still open or not. It was all dirt roads, no single track trails. But might get some pinstripping as some trails are narrow and sandy.

Trailaholic

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Norco, CA
Member #

Cleghorn sounds fun.
I just ran Cleghorn to Silverwood and then up to Arrowhead on Sunday and it was a blast. Plenty of easy/medium/hard paths that you can test your rig on. I wanted to take 3N16 all the way to Pine Flats and Big Bear but the day grew short and I didn't want to risk a breakdown going solo in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Has anyone done Doran Scenic Dr. at Calico? Looks like a good loop.

Seems like it could be a fun loop. There is also Mule Canyon Rd. Basically, it seems there are plenty of loops to get your fill there. Lots of canyons and off-shoots to do other loops and even head north on dirt roads to link back to smaller highways.

My only hesitation with a place like Cleghorn is I know it's a popular spot and I fear might be way too busy depending on the group size we end up with.

Reactions: Tahoe.Adventures

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
Has anyone done Doran Scenic Dr. at Calico? Looks like a good loop.

Seems like it could be a fun loop. There is also Mule Canyon Rd. Basically, it seems there are plenty of loops to get your fill there. Lots of canyons and off-shoots to do other loops and even head north on dirt roads to link back to smaller highways.

My only hesitation with a place like Cleghorn is I know it's a popular spot and I fear might be way too busy depending on the group size we end up with.
Google on Doran yields :

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/doran-loop-and-odessa-canyon
http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Doran/Odessa_Loop

Don't think I want to take my Subi on that. Been on it on my MC and that was fine.

Going up Western Doran Drive to Tin Can Alley and back down Mule Canyon might be nice. I have done Mule to TIn Can Alley and it

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Google on Doran yields :

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/doran-loop-and-odessa-canyon
http://www.dirtopia.com/wiki/Doran/Odessa_Loop

Don't think I want to take my Subi on that. Been on it on my MC and that was fine.

Going up Western Doran Drive to Tin Can Alley and back down Mule Canyon might be nice. I have done Mule to TIn Can Alley and it
wow. NOPE. I am not taking my stock truck through that either lol. They look so tame from Satelite. lol.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
how about holcolm valley in big bear? It's an easy fire road trail that a 2wd can go, but the drive to big bear is far for OC members.
I think everything is going to be far for OC members. Most everything is east. I show Holcolm Valley at about 2:40 from Irvine. I think everything is going to be 2-3 hours depending on how much a major freeway is involved. it will be a long day, but I am not opposed.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
If it was scheduled later, in the fall say, we could head down into the desert in Johnson Valley and camp overnight in the open area.
There's no rush or timeline. At this point it's just ideas. We can discuss and lock it down at the next meet up and then begin to determine a good time to go.

Reactions: Terry Pickens

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
I am off today so I will be checking out cleghorn today. If you see a guy in a blue jeep looking lost, that's probably me :)
Nice! let us know how it goes.

Anyone with experience: How many rigs can we safely and orderly get through cleghorn as a group?

Trailaholic

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Norco, CA
Member #

Nice! let us know how it goes.

Anyone with experience: How many rigs can we safely and orderly get through cleghorn as a group?
There are turnout sections but they definitely won't fit multiple vehicles. If 1 person had to wait for the group to pass then no biggie, but if another group of 3 or more is there that day... could cause a time consuming cluster of backing up and going around. There are also OHV riders out there (dirt bikes, quads, utv's).

Have you checked out CNF on the Corona side? Bedford Motorway and Indian Truck Trail will take you up to the peak of Mt. Santiago and it's more open with flatland areas and plenty of splinter trails to traverse the ridge. Groups of 5 or so wouldn't have any problems, bigger groups would probably want to split into groups of 5 during the climb/descent. The terrain isn't too difficult but it's very rocky and decent offroad tires/air down are recommended to avoid slashes or punctures. Still, a well equipped 2wd with good clearance could probably make it to the top.

SoCal-JKU14

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona, CA
Member #

Holcolm Valley in Big Bear and Santiago Peak in the Cleveland National Forest near Corona are nice trails. Another suggestion would be Skyline Drive (easy ) and Clarks Summit (moderate) in Big Bear or Rattlesnake Canyon (moderate) and Burns Canyon (difficult) from Pioneer Town to Big Bear.
Once temperatures drop Anza Borrego has many great trails like Fonts Point (easy), Pumpkin Patch (moderate), Calcite Mine (moderate to difficult), The Slot Canyon (moderate), Sandstone Canyon (easy), Canyon Sin Nombre (easy) etc.
All these trail ratings can change depending on weather or after a storm.

We are looking forward to our next meet up in September and to future trail runs.

Tahoe.Adventures

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Corona, CA
Member #

There are turnout sections but they definitely won't fit multiple vehicles. If 1 person had to wait for the group to pass then no biggie, but if another group of 3 or more is there that day... could cause a time consuming cluster of backing up and going around. There are also OHV riders out there (dirt bikes, quads, utv's).

Have you checked out CNF on the Corona side? Bedford Motorway and Indian Truck Trail will take you up to the peak of Mt. Santiago and it's more open with flatland areas and plenty of splinter trails to traverse the ridge. Groups of 5 or so wouldn't have any problems, bigger groups would probably want to split into groups of 5 during the climb/descent. The terrain isn't too difficult but it's very rocky and decent offroad tires/air down are recommended to avoid slashes or punctures. Still, a well equipped 2wd with good clearance could probably make it to the top.

I live in Corona. Been up to Santiago Peak plenty of times, both from Indian Truck and Bedford. Indian truck is a bit more narrow but very doable and Beford is wider at the bottom but can get a bit narrow up top as well.
My truck is 2wd and only have Falken AT3W. They are not hard trails. A bit rocky, small rocks, and a few washout/ruts, but nothing crazy. I think it would be a great day trip!