Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Awesome turn out folks! I counted just Shy of 50 Rigs!

The good:
  • We had an amazing turn out with a huge cross-section of rigs.
  • We attracted some new members just by the sheer spectacle of so many rigs
  • Many left with great ideas and plans for future trips!
  • SoCal is HEALTHY with overlanders!
The Bad:
  • With close to 50 Rigs, that location won't work anymore. We simply take up too much space. We were allowed to conclude our meet-up but were kindly asked to find a new venue. Which we will.
Possible Solutions:
  • I have Reached out to the Great Park in Irvine to see if they will let us use the Tarmac at El Toro or even cooler, a hanger! But we'd be happy with just a patch of dirt in the festival area. In the past, I have done meet-ups there for free with their approval. So we'll see.
  • Irvine Park - $5 per car on the weekend. They do offer large gathering area with reservation and allowing BBQ Grilles. Minimum attendance 155, buy a permit in addition to parking fees. This might be a good "Once a year" thing for the socal region, but I don't see this being viable for a monthly meet.
  • Irvine Lake - Reached out, little info available. Waiting to hear back.
some folks mentioned they wanted to grill and have some food while hanging out, after some quick research I think this will be difficult to accommodate on a monthly basis but I can see this being an event for the group, once a year.

There could be other options to ask smaller local businesses to let us use their lot in exchange for the business, like a food place. But 40-50 rigs is tough to accommodate, even if they are willing. So if you folks have ideas, we're all ears and I would like to keep this going! I am hoping Great Park gives us a green light, as I do think this is the best venue for our size.

Cheers!
FM

DaveL

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Lowrance
Member #

If Yorba Linda isn't too inconvenient, and if we could change the time to either later Sunday afternoon, or to Saturday a.m. (as long as there are no weddings planned), I can check to see if my church would be willing to let us use their parking lot. There are a couple of other OBers at my church (I got them to join). Location is near Imperial Hwy & Yorba Linda Blvd. Plenty of room.

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
If Yorba Linda isn't too inconvenient, and if we could change the time to either later Sunday afternoon, or to Saturday a.m. (as long as there are no weddings planned), I can check to see if my church would be willing to let us use their parking lot. There are a couple of other OBers at my church (I got them to join). Location is near Imperial Hwy & Yorba Linda Blvd. Plenty of room.
I don't think that would be out of the way at all. Since most come from all over anyway. Would be worth looking into. Time is flexible as well.

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

Frank - youdaman! Thanks for doing the homework.

I LOVE the idea of doing a good sized once a year WEST meet. We can start this time in SoCal, then move around the event with help from the OB family.

You know, I'll happily help put this in motion, in any way I can.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

tinyOVERLANDER

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Member #

A grassy park would be great but if nothing else works out Walmart allows overnight camping so they should be okay with the meetup. Lots of Walmart's, the meeting could move as needed to accommodate all members.

Rorschach

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Huntington Beach, CA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Niederhauser
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ULA
Lovin all these ideas especially a big annual thing. Maybe like a mini overland expo? Saturday-Sunday at a park of some kind?

Anyhow, I'm in either way!

Rustyburbin (OB#4084) from SoCal 5 kids, wife, dog and a 70 K20 Suburban
Our own little Expo West/SoCal Edition.

Sent from my LGLS996 using OB Talk mobile app

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
A grassy park would be great but if nothing else works out Walmart allows overnight camping so they should be okay with the meetup. Lots of Walmart's, the meeting could move as needed to accommodate all members.
That's not a bad idea at all! I forgot walmart did that .

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
Frank - youdaman! Thanks for doing the homework.

I LOVE the idea of doing a good sized once a year WEST meet. We can start this time in SoCal, then move around the event with help from the OB family.

You know, I'll happily help put this in motion, in any way I can.

Nice! I think That's something we should plan for sure! @halffastjohn had a good idea of using Walmart parking lots, they are pretty open with them, and they are plentiful.

chrispartida

Rank VI

Advocate II

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Partida
Member #

I can't tell you how many Wallyworld parking lots I've slept in while on tour...

A band I work for (The Aquabats) decided to rent an RV/bus back in 2014. My buddy Dan and I split driving duties to bump up our paychecks a bit.

Walmart parking lots were the most accommodating, and often the stores were open 24hrs.

Every other night random, sketchy people would jiggle the handle to the bus.

My last steed:

Spolar

Rank II
Launch Member

Member I

Seal Beach, CA
Member #

I can't tell you how many Wallyworld parking lots I've slept in while on tour...

A band I work for (The Aquabats) decided to rent an RV/bus back in 2014. My buddy Dan and I split driving duties to bump up our paychecks a bit.

Walmart parking lots were the most accommodating, and often the stores were open 24hrs.

Every other night random, sketchy people would jiggle the handle to the bus.

My last steed:

Ha I loved the aquabats back in high school. They're still playing? I was listening to them like 15+ years ago...

tinyOVERLANDER

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Member #

On my suggestion to use Walmart parking lots for meetups. I'm not sure it's true but I read that it is left up to the discretion of each store whether to allow overnight RV camping.

Whiteknuckler

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Irvine, Ca.
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6VBG
So what happened - the parking patrol did not like the group parking in the back corner of the REI/Best Buy lot?
There must be room for hundreds of cars in that seldom used area

Reactions: tinyOVERLANDER

FrankRoams

Local Expert Southern CA

Member III

Aliso Viejo, CA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6TRD
On my suggestion to use Walmart parking lots for meetups. I'm not sure it's true but I read that it is left up to the discretion of each store whether to allow overnight RV camping.
That is true, it is the discretion of the store, the store near me always has RV's in the lot. I believe I once heard that there is a website that lists the ones that allow it. I have never tried to find it though. Worth looking into. Great Park is not an option, they are playing with the big boys now. They want 6k plus 5mil insurance. so NOPE, lol.