So, why'd you buy the overland vehicle you did?

• HTML tutorial

Crazjtk

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Ravenna, Michigan
Member #

About 2 years ago, I watched a fateful youtube video. It was Regular Car Review's review of a 1986 Toyota 4Runner. (I can't link it, both for newbie restrictions, and 'cus it's not 100% family-friendly) I was hooked on offroading from that moment. I started doing research on what the best 4x4 platform vehicles were, and came across the FJ40. Love at first sight. Shortly thereafter, I found out about the DIESEL landcruiser, the BJ42, and got it in my mind that I'd get one. About a year of shopping later, I bought my hipster dream-machine. During that time, I found out about Overlanding, and decided that I wanted to do that with my truck.

Now, that little not-a-jeep is in my workshop getting the refit to end all refits, and I'm totally excited to take it on an adventure.

So, I guess, to answer the actual question: I found out about overlanding after I had already decided to get a Landcruiser, and they just happen to go great together.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I had a few reasons for my choosing my rig. I have had a jeep, tundra, 4Runner and Sequoia among others over the years that all were great in their own way, but when I chose to buy the 2015 double cab short bed Tacoma trd off-road I was looking to specifically buy a vehicle to build an overland vehicle with the capability to be my daily driver and tow my fishing boat occasionally. I chose the 2015 over the new 3rd gen because of the proven 4.0 engine and drivetrain and I didn’t like the idea of being a guinea pig with the first year of a new model at the time. I also wanted the rear locking differential and what’s been surprisingly even more useful, the Atrac system. The huge aftermarket support is very helpful and as much as I like the 4Runners I wanted my cargo separate from the cabin and a little more room for stuff. The biggest and most important reason to me for choosing the Tacoma is that I drive a tow truck and get to see what fails and what doesn’t first hand across all makes and models and years. I drive what I don’t tow, so we have a Camry and a Tacoma in our driveway. This is not to say they never fail, but I am very happy with the odds I’m playing.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

T-One

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Austria
First Name
Anton
Last Name
Hofmann
Member #

The mk2 hilux is one of the most sold pickups in the world, africa, south america and asia are still packed with them, so the spare part situation, especially in third world countries, is very good. The first 2L series engine (the one without a turbo or electirc pump, no TE!) is known to be very reliable(/underpowered), not picky about diesel quality and fixable with a hammer only ;).
The measurements are also a plus, it's a very narrow vehicle compared to a land cruiser and it fits into a standard sized shipping container.

I always wanted a J7 troopy in the beginning but they have a way different price tag, so i bought me this LN65 and build my own "cheap guys land cruiser" and from a reliability view point i don't think the old hilux have to hide behind his bigger cousin.

And last but not least, Top Gear, of course :)

EDIT: i forgot a major point, the car doesn't scream "ROB ME!", it's pretty low key in not so well developed countries.

Last edited:

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I have always wanted a Jeep. I was always attracted to the Wrangler style. When it came time for me to get a better vehicle, I was coming from having a small 2-door car with zero space. I drove a full size pickup for a while to get a feel for a larger vehicle, but didn't want a truck for a DD. I heavily considered a YJ or TJ, but the space was a major concern, as well as the overall driveability as I do spend hours at a time on the road. A good friend of mine had an XJ for a while and would let me borrow it when I needed to haul things that wouldn't fit in my little car. He traded that in for a ZJ and also let me drive it. I loved the amount of space and power both rigs had. I took that into consideration when it came time to really find a new vehicle. I looked at Subies, but strongly considered a Jeep after my troubles with finding a good Subie. I found a lot with some good candidates and checked them over. Mostly WJ's, with a couple XJ's and WK's. Most were high mile with rust issues or leaked. I knew the I6 was a desirable powerplant, but the only good WJ's had the Quadra-Trac drivetrain so no 2WD and that killed the power and economy of the I6. I found a nice '04 WJ with the 4.7 hiding in the back of the lot. Had just come in from being serviced and such. After a test drive around town and on the highway, I was sold. 2 years and 20k miles later, she's still running strong. While aftermarket support is limited for this rig, I have been able to address most of my needs/wants/and other concerns with what is available in the aftermarket world, info found in forums, and my own creativity.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I wanted another small and capable SUV after a few years of daily driving a crew cab 3/4 ton pickup. The wife and I had driven a few Xterras and the solid rear axle, leaf springs and fully boxed frame fit what I wanted plus it drove good and fit all 5 of us comfort. I'm very happy with my Xterra even though aftermarket gear is scarce and demand a premium.

Reactions: Scifi79

Jeff Graham

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Splendora, TX, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Graham
Member #

Service Branch
Army Vet
I chose my Jeep JKU, because it is one of the last body on frame, solid axle vehicles still on the market in the USA. I new I wanted to travel to exotic places. I wanted a vehicle that is, or could easily be built to overland in extreme terrain. The Jeep JKU ticked all the boxes. Many other vehicles where considered, each with outstanding characteristics. The Jeep JKU just seemed to be the best vehicle for my use case.

GoXplore

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nashville, TN
First Name
David
Last Name
Yancy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W4DKY
Honestly, I didn't buy our Ram 2500 thinking that I would turn it into an "adventure-mobile". I had become pretty burned-out on the off-roading crowd when we had our Jeep Wrangler and thought I wanted a break from the whole thing for a while. It turns out that what I really wanted was some distance from a small but highly toxic group of locals that seemed to be ubiquitous wherever pavement yielded to dirt or rocks.

This past year was rife with change, disappointment, excitement, elation, and stress however. An honest to God roller-coaster of a year that apexed with the birth of our son six weeks ago. But, still, a lot of stress.

The happiest we have ever been is when we've been exploring this beautiful country of ours, so I began to look at how I could turn the Ram into a larger overlander to take our whole growing family wherever the horizon might lead us. Thankfully many others have gone down the Ram 2500 road before me, so I'm here to learn. And share whatever I learn in the process.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

So I was looking at at a few vehicles and was torn....really wanted to purchase the 1993-1995 Land Rover Range Rover country lwb again that I lost in my divorce. Missed the rig but not the bills to work on or fix the thing. Next was the Jeep...love them...owned a 1975 cj5 that was amazing and built....and also a 1984 grand wagoneer. Solid vehicles and reliable. So I was entertaining a 2008-2012 4 Dr wrangler...My true love was in the Toyota series...Landcruiser,4Runner,Tacoma,Fj.....all amazing in their own right...each one different in appearance and options...watched each one perform in Expedition Overland and was ready to own one..travelled 4 hours one way travel to go see an fj and Tacoma. Drove home in the 2011Tacoma Trd sport access cab. Love it

Last edited:

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

I specifically wanted a truck for overlanding. Lots of research and the watch half the nation for a used Tacoma with the features I wanted.
Curious as why a truck over and SUV? I have a truck but due family size and dogs I am thinking of trading for an SUV.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
I've owned a lot of 4x4s over the years, by far the two best performers I've had were jeep and toyota. Since Ford, Chevy and Dodge have gone to IFS I have given up on them as serious trucks. U.S. toyotas have gone to IFS, but yota is really so good I could overlook that. I really wanted a solid front axle though.

In the budget I had to work with I wanted 100k miles or less so this ruled out getting a toyota since even some of the earliest tacos were still super high in price along with their 200k+ miles. So this left me with jeep. A jeep XJ was a possibility if I could find one nice enough and with low enough miles. The WJ I ruled out because of the aluminum D44 rear pumpkin in them. I knew though if I looked real carefully I should be able to find a TJ (2001-2006) with lowish miles and good condition.

After watching ads online I finally found one, a 2006 TJ with the 3.73 gears, D44 rear axle and posi purchased as special options when it was new. No body or frame rust (a tough find in Michigan), 103k miles and under $9000 dollars. This fit what I was looking for perfectly.

Cargo room for me is not an issue since I've been camping for decades and I can pack light and still live in luxury. Basically for me, I have the perfect vehicle and my joop is my new best friend.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

I've owned a lot of 4x4s over the years, by far the two best performers I've had were jeep and toyota. Since Ford, Chevy and Dodge have gone to IFS I have given up on them as serious trucks. U.S. toyotas have gone to IFS, but yota is really so good I could overlook that. I really wanted a solid front axle though.

In the budget I had to work with I wanted 100k miles or less so this ruled out getting a toyota since even some of the earliest tacos were still super high in price along with their 200k+ miles. So this left me with jeep. A jeep XJ was a possibility if I could find one nice enough and with low enough miles. The WJ I ruled out because of the aluminum D44 rear pumpkin in them. I knew though if I looked real carefully I should be able to find a TJ (2001-2006) with lowish miles and good condition.

After watching ads online I finally found one, a 2006 TJ with the 3.73 gears, D44 rear axle and posi purchased as special options when it was new. No body or frame rust (a tough find in Michigan), 103k miles and under $9000 dollars. This fit what I was looking for perfectly.

Cargo room for me is not an issue since I've been camping for decades and I can pack light and still live in luxury. Basically for me, I have the perfect vehicle and my joop is my new best friend.
Your last line is all that matters......i drive mine like I stole it every time I'm behind the wheel and puts a grin on my face just looking at her...

Reactions: JeepWave and khorsa

khorsa

Rank III

Advocate II

michigan
Your last line is all that matters......i drive mine like I stole it every time I'm behind the wheel and puts a grin on my face just looking at her...
Absolutely correct sir! My wife cracks up at me because she has caught me a few times in the driveway just looking at my joop. And now instead of trying to talk each other into going to the store I volunteer now just so I can take joop for a ride.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Absolutely correct sir! My wife cracks up at me because she has caught me a few times in the driveway just looking at my joop. And now instead of trying to talk each other into going to the store I volunteer now just so I can take joop for a ride.
I gawk at mine from across the parking lot and think of one phrase.."That's one sexy b@#ch!!!"

Reactions: khorsa

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

My Ranger wasn't bought specifically for Overlanding, instead it was my Uncle's truck that he kept at his Cabin in Wyoming. He bought a new vehicle so I bought the truck from him. 14 year old 4wd enters the family and we have been having fun with it ever since. It is not my primary driver but it has become a workhorse around the house and now is a workhorse on the trail.

I will eventually need to go with a larger vehicle to haul the entire family and have a few picked out. I think in about a year I will need to switch to a four door vehicle but still want the bedspace of a truck so I may keep the ranger around an add another vehicle.

Primary requirements are pretty simple but stringent:
< $15,0000
< 100,000k miles
< Narrow form factor; Think Jeep, Small Truck, Small SUV. I don't like large wide vehicles.

Secondary
< Front and Rear diff; I can add these later if needed.

Reactions: Chadlyb and khorsa
After my last pickup truck died and I moved back to the city I wanted a vehicle that I could go outdoors to recreate and still fit in my parking structure at work. There wasn't a lot of thought to the purchase other than I had gone rock crawling years ago in my friends two door Jeep TJ and had a lot of fun. The two door version was to small so I decided on getting the four door JK. After owning it for half a year I discovered overlanding and started the building process to fit my needs. So its a dual purpose daily driver and an overland vehicle.

Reactions: Chadlyb

CalTexMex

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fremont, Ca
Member #

Had an 85 4runner cuz they are sweet. But after packing a family of 4 with gear, realized it was not big enough. Sold it and moved to something bigger. Fzj80 is the perfect vehicle for overlanding in our book. Bulletproof motor, straight axles with front/rear lockers. Added a lift with armor all around and she's pretty much done. Sleeping platform for when it's just me and the mrs. Or a tent with the whole fam. Love this platform for its ruggedness and reliability.