So, why'd you buy the overland vehicle you did?

• HTML tutorial

OffRoadAcc

Rank II
Launch Member

Traveler II

Tampa,fl 33604
Member #

My choice was easy, I went with Multiple Mitsubishi Montero's for my rigs, I love the toyota's but I hate the price. The Montero & 4Runner Share ALOT of the same qualities but the 4Runner I just couldnt justify the price.
Now my Subaru, that was basically just a cheap vehicle to tow my kayaks with. And i'm lifting it, because I can. And i'm curious where I can actually take the thing.

Rubicajon

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Panama City Beach, FL, USA
First Name
RUBI
Last Name
CAJON
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5VLS
Service Branch
Seabee’s
I went to a 4wd shop looking for a 70's Bronco and met a guy named George Lewis. George took some time an explained the history of the 4wd an i left with a 1948 Willys Cj2a. Never looked back since.

Reactions: k9sar and Chadlyb

RAngone

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Chicago | Western Suburbs
Member #

We were destroying the vehicle we had prior to buying a 2017 Toyota 4Runner off Road while driving to our family cabin and other off pavement campgrounds, but the worst damage came from Chicago streets and the pothole problem. Over the course of 3 years we damaged, bent and broke 8wheels and bulged 5 tires. I liked the car but my wife hated it. It was as pretentious as they come too and in some areas made you feel like a target. So now we have a vehicle with great ground clearance, Im having fun modding it and its much cheaper to own and run. I miss some of the luxury items that the 2013 Mercedes 350 Sport wagon offered for long distance roadtrips, but the places that we can now access with the 4Runner makes up for all of that exponentially. Its so great to drive with impunity for both my wife and myself. And fewer arguments to boot!

Scifi79

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Providence Forge, New Kent County, Virginia, United States
First Name
Lance
Last Name
Scifres
Member #

My Jeep YJ was the WORST vehicles i've ever owned.
I have own 3, a YJ trans problems an 85 Cherokee caught fire in my drive and 2000 Grand Cherokee that kept killing the ECU and then lost compress in 3 cylinders. Had big plans for each but couldnt afford to keep them on the road. So now the joke is jeeps hate me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using OB Talk mobile app

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
Was in a basic state park campground a month ago (gravel parking pad/table/fire ring) and had a great conversation with several folks nearby. Someone brought up why we drive what we drive and the range of response were all over the place. So;

Did you buy your current vehicle specifically for overland purpose and choose it because of specific options/reputation within the overland community? Already owned it and made modifications to serve dual purpose as daily driver and overland mule? Brand loyalty? Had hankered to own that brand/model? Give it a lot of forethought and seek it out or write the check and think it through a little later?

This overland stuff is new to me (multiple decades of backpacking). I bought a Jeep JK as a third vehicle/dedicated toy before I knew what this overlanding thing was. Added the trailer/RTT as I bought into the concept. The setup works well for us, but would have done it differently had I known it would be an intentional overland vehicle from the start.

You?
I didn't buy my 2000 TJ, I traded a Remington 700 for it. But the reasons were multi layered. First I had been watching I am Jake and then began reminiscing about Jeeps I had owned many years ago. So in an effort to relive my misspent youth I set out to get myself back in the dirt. Second I wanted something I could do with my family and the jeep was a good starting point.

jcline

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Rafael, CA
Member #

When I bought my jk I barely knew the word overlanding. I had moved someplace with full sized parking spaces and really wanted something that could fit 4 adults comfortably on a road trip or camping. I was pretty into the body on frame things since my last full sized vehicle was a truck and I had fond memories of the ramcharger I used to drive. I checked out a 4runner and considered a Tacoma but the test drive left me filling like it would do what I want but I want excited. I drove the Jeep almost as an afterthought and just loved it. Comfortable and almost more importantly I didn't feel like I was driving a modern space pod. Only had it a couple months but I suspect it's only get better as I make it mine.

Since than I've nerded out on all the kit that's out there, feel less crazy for having 17 bins of camping gear and spent a few days in the woods. Just trying to figure out there I'm going next.

Sent from my Pixel using OB Talk mobile app

JoeyLuck

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fallbrook, CA, USA
First Name
Joey
Last Name
Luck
Member #

I had an older 4-runner and went out with my buddy in his FJ one time and just fell in love with it. We were trying to get that thing stuck and it just wouldn't. I know people aren't crazy about blind spots and it can be hard to see on some ascending and descending angles, but I've grown so used to it, I just adjust and it's never an issue.

CagedLife

Rank 0

Traveler I

India
Bought a 4-wheeler to commute. Didn't want the usual sedan/ hatchback and opted for a vehicle with some extra ground clearance, given the construction near home. Did a 1000 mile trip and slowly warming up to the idea of exploring on 4 wheels. Trying to plan and do a little SVOing with it now.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I was looking for a Grand Cherokee Outlander - used of course and I found one i Phoenix. It had body rust on it and then I came across a 4runner with the factory rear locker. The 4runner was in a better price range too, so I bought it. I have been so busy with work that I have only taken it off road 2 times since I purchased it and have not been able to modify it for Overlanding. Once my wife moves up here and finds a job then I will get to start getting into Overlanding. I still dream of buying the GC, as I want a V8 especially now that I live in Denver.

anotherJeep

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Birmingham, Alabama
First Name
Cullen
Last Name
S
Member #

Started with an '02 Ford ranger 4x4 with a quarter of a million miles on it. It was junk, and of course I lifted it and put tires on it. This was before I had heard of overlanding. I mainly took this down trails near me with my hammock and spent a couple of hours hanging around with friends. Definitely a vehicle I abused hard. It was not my intended daily driver, but I drove it more frequently than my DD base model corolla. Made me realize I must stick with one vehicle.

Then for a while I was just in and out of some random cars and SUV's, notably my 07 Ford expedition that I did a couple of very small trips in. This was when I heard about this site and started researching the overland topic and joined this forum.

And today, I have my grand cherokee which was never a vehicle that I was looking for specifically because they are almost all out of my budget. But I found this one with some hail damage which I think makes the perfect overlanding vehicle for me. Not too worried about minor cosmetic damage that I may pick up on the trails or in a wal mart parking lot, all while being a fairly new vehicle with modern technology and features. So far in its stock form, it has been plenty capable enough for me.

Jonathan Harte

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

2010 tacoma prerunner. Bought it with full fox suspension and an ARB front end with a ramsey winch. Also bought it because it only had 59k miles and a 5 speed manual. Plus a cb radio in it. All i had to do was purchase the dual band set up i wanted and im ordering leaf springs to raise it 2.75”. Plan to swap it to 4x4 and the parts are cheap to do so. Already has the fuses and most the wiring in it. So in the end it was a win win and a beast of a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

WhatThaFrig

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Knoxville
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Dull
Member #

Always loved Disco 1s and when a friend of mine gave me first dibs on his son's old one, I jumped quick. Loved the looks and capabilities of it. When gremlins started raising their ugly heads, I started looking at other options. I was wanting a crew cab midsize, but didn't want to pay Tacoma money, so I paid Jeep money and bought my 2dr JK

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

I set out with a truck camper when I had a Ford F350 dually. I've always been a big truck guy and had that setup for about 3 years, but it was too big and too expensive to just get up and go. So I traded that and my then current Daily Driver a modified Subaru Crosstrek for my current rig, a 2017 Chevy Colorado Diesel.

I had my eye out on the revised Colorado way back in 2014. But it hadn't yet come out with the Diesel, and then it was way out of my price range. But I couldn't resist em, so every few months I'd head to the dealer, and check em out as they were few and far between. I also shopped the Tacoma new and used, but I really couldn't resist getting the little Diesel.

This July a friend picked up a ZR2, and as I was helping him shop, Chevy had a sale and stock of them on the lots. So I bit the bullet, traded both my cars and sold the Lance camper, and brought my Colorado home.

Loads of comfort and tech features make it a great daily and distance driver. I do about 750 miles a week with an average of 24mpg so it's not impractical to drive anywhere.

What I think makes it a great Overland rig is a near 1500lb payload capacity, so plenty of gear, people and supplies can be packed into the cab and 6' bed, as well as bolted on like steel skid plates, rock rails, winch and bumper, and still remain safely under the GVWR. The diesel is powerful, yet gets 500+ miles on a tank so less worries going into the sticks. It's also a great size. Coming from a full size pickup, it wasn't too bad a change. Physically it's about as long as a 90s Silverado extended cab, but a little narrower. I also looked at a '15 F150, but the new generation of 1/2 tons are just huge, so this is a solid compromise.

As I have the crew cab long bed, it's not going to be a technical trail champion, but I was aiming for a long distance build, able to hop states and then take the long way to the campsite.

Some of the challenges are much less parts availability vs the Tacoma, but there is a growing community of vendors and fabricators producing parts.

Overall I'm really happy with it. Still have a ways to go on getting it kitted out like I want, but building it is a lot of the fun for me.

Merlin2111

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Bellevue
Member #

I went with the 2005 GX470. It has the crazy dependable Toyota 4.7L V8 and the 05 is the last year that doesn't require premium. The center locking diff, adjustable height air suspension, and adjustable ride quality control all helped too. And if all that suspension trickery goes bad the suspension from an FJ bolts right up. The aftermarket is exploding for it with new bumpers, armor, and accessories coming out every month. I also like driving lesser-known rigs and this punched that ticket. And being 6'7" I didn't fit in Wranglers, Tacomas, or 4Runners well enough for long trips. So far I have driven it about 15k and I couldn't be happier.

Reactions: DK_XV

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

I wanted something more reliable than my low french convertible, something that didn't need to see a mechanic once a month (I kid you not!) and something I could load up with friends and go for a drive.

Rubyredfozzy

Rank VI
Launch Member

Benefactor

Fort Mitchell, AL, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Welch
Member #

we wanted to be able to go on adventures but we also daily drive our rig. fuel mileage and off-road capability was key. we looked at Tacoma's but I am very tall and had a taco in the past and decided to shy away from it for leg space reasons. Subaru piqued my interest but the outbacks are to low to the ground for me. thats when I found the forester. I had also never seen one outfitted to go off road before. I did a little research and decided the forester was it. I have since found a few (very few) people who have mod out a fuzzy and I think its awesome. we can't wait to get rolling on the project.

Reactions: DK_XV