So, why'd you buy the overland vehicle you did?

• HTML tutorial

DK_XV

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Easton, WA
Member #

we wanted to be able to go on adventures but we also daily drive our rig. fuel mileage and off-road capability was key. we looked at Tacoma's but I am very tall and had a taco in the past and decided to shy away from it for leg space reasons. Subaru piqued my interest but the outbacks are to low to the ground for me. thats when I found the forester. I had also never seen one outfitted to go off road before. I did a little research and decided the forester was it. I have since found a few (very few) people who have mod out a fuzzy and I think its awesome. we can't wait to get rolling on the project.
Take a look at FozRoamer if you haven't. He's got a pretty neat one.

Reactions: Rubyredfozzy

Bigstick

Rank 0

Traveler I

AZ
Wanted to purchase a 4 runner but I felt they were a bit pricey for what they had to offer. I didn't want something to nice as I haul two big German Shepards with us when we go off reading. Found a gently used 2004 Mitsubishi Montero Sport, very similiar to a 4 runner but significantly less money. Installed a Old Man Emu 2 inch lift with heavy duty rear springs, along with some new BFG's 285 x 70 17's. put 40K miles on it in two years, still going strong. Just installed a roof rack and several new LED Lights. LETS ROLL!!!

Andy G

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cannonsburg, MI
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Grow
Member #

I've been jonesing for a true rig (not the Dodge Grand Caravan I've been rocking for a few years). When the van died, I had to get something quickly and it couldn't be more than $2000. I found the 2002 Isuzu Trooper, checked it out, and offered $1800 and that's what I've got - for now. I'll drive it until it dies and then it's a new Tacoma or 4Runner for me!

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

It was cheap and paid cash for it , fairly low miles , simple and reliable and had good tires . Needed a cheap replacement for my sequoia(still for sale ) to help with purchasing a house . Not as many long trips mostly overnighter and day trips bUT needed something that could handle deep snow and towing my jeep when it's done
00505_fopOZVmVAqQ_600x450.jpg
20171203_130540.jpg

JeepWave

Rank V
Investor

Enthusiast III

Broomfield, CO, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Hutchins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W0EMH
Years ago, a university friend of mine took me off-roading with some friends of his. His rig was a Dodge Dakota that was certainly nice, but not my cup of tea. Another driver in the group had a Jeep and I rode with him on some of the trails and that was the day I knew that I eventually would own one. The thing is, I live in a city and take transit to work, so I went for a few years without owning a vehicle aside from my bicycle. It wasn't until 2015 -- fourteen years after that off-roading trip -- that I bought my Jeep JK. I've had it for two years and still have a big grin on my face whenever I'm at the wheel.

I plan to kit this one out modestly and overland it and, by the time I need the additional space of the 4-door, Jeep will have the new diesel-powered JL all sorted. I've long wished for a diesel and I have my eye on that as the platform for my "forever" rig.

Charles_Alarie

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Cotati, California
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Alarie
Member #

2012 Nissan Xterra Pro 4x. I always wanted an Xterra ever since they came out but could never afford them. I bought a Subaru Crosstrek in the interest of gas mileage but it didn't quite meet my needs. I started looking for a Pro 4x with low mileage which were few and far between. One popped up at a local dealership for a semi reasonable price and I jumped on it. I love it so far and am very happy with my decision. It has allowed me to go places I would never have thought of going before and it puts a smile on my face when I drive it. Slowly adding mods with many more planned and hope to drive it for many many years. I once read that if you drive a vehicle you do not look back at and admire after you park it then somethings is wrong. Life is too short to drive a boring car...

Reactions: JeepWave

Enthusiast III

California
1995 Toyota T100 4x4 manual transmission
Bought it for $2500, spent 7 weeks building the camper/doing maintenance, then drove it to Panama and back along with my wife and dog.
I chose this truck for initial cost, reliability reputation, parts availability in Latin America, size, stock 4x4 ability, and cargo weight capacity.
We covered over 20,000 miles in 500 days while living out of the truck in 9 different counties. Guessing 3000-3500 miles off pavement. We did maintenance and small repairs while on the road, but were never stranded and no major problems. I'm happy with the truck and will be taking it to Baja for a couple months this winter.

Last edited:

John R

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Alexandria KY USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Rodarte
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6IWV
Well it looks like full size trucks are not the in thing however my 2008 Ram 2500 is perfect right now. I bought stock in 2012 and was used to tow 20' travel trailer. I was sold on it's off-road capabilities when my wife and I found ourselves at the bottom of a sand dune near Afton Canyon. This truck powered up the dune within little effort. Any of my past 4x4 vehicles would have bogged for sure. Decent mpg and a million mile diesel sound about right for me. As the kids have grown it's time to load up a Four Wheel pop camper and keep up with the Overlanders.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Road

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

I have a 2013 Ford explorer. It wasn't bought with camping or overlanding in mind, but after seeing how well it handled snow and ice on normal tires I put some BFG AT TAKO2s on and was even more impressed slugging thru some muddy forest service roads. No low range and barely 8 inches of clearance means no rock crawls but it does a surprising job on the places I've taken it. More to come.

I've since added a front runner roof rack and RTT and a few odds and ends and love it. My daughter does too. Next is a small lift and going up a size on the tires. Keeping the changes minimal as it's really well balanced and I don't want to mess that up too much.

Had a land cruiser that was a wonderful beast but the 12 to 14 mpg kept me from taking it in longer trips. Even with the RTT I still get about 19-20 at 75, and 22+ at 65 or less.

The down side is its a cross over not a real truck like they used to be. I had a couple of Subarus before this, and this does so much better than the subies on the places I've gone.

Years ago I had a 93 Trooper. I got it with the limited slip rear diff. Loved that truck. Went absolutely anywhere I wanted. Especially with the Kelly safari tires I ended up putting on. Drove it for 90k miles in just over 2 years, including a fair bit off-road. Mechanically it still drove like it did brand new.

Other vehicles I've had included suburbans. Those were beasts. Not so good for tight trails but great for open road trips and plenty of room to sleep inside without unloading every thing.

When my Explorer gets to the time to retire I'm thinking Tacoma/4runner or possibly an xterra. Or maybe another suburban. :) I'm also having crazy thoughts about maybe a big van project. :)

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: John R

Nevada cowboy

Rank 0

Traveler I

I've always been a "truck" guy. This time I needed something a little more "kid friendly" as the dad of two young boys. New I had to have 4x4. Got an '02 Montero and it has impressed me greatly. I am presently in the process of upgrading/modifying it. Seats seven, comfy as hell, and a lot more capable than I would have ever believed. This ain't no soccer mom's car.

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

I've always been a "truck" guy. This time I needed something a little more "kid friendly" as the dad of two young boys. New I had to have 4x4. Got an '02 Montero and it has impressed me greatly. I am presently in the process of upgrading/modifying it. Seats seven, comfy as hell, and a lot more capable than I would have ever believed. This ain't no soccer mom's car.
The montero not the montero sport right? What kind of mileage, and more importantly, range are you getting?

jhewitt03

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

29 palms CA
First Name
John
Last Name
Hewitt
1997 disco 1 got it because of its capabilities and I like to crank my own wrenches and I got it for a sweet price [emoji1591] lol

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Nevada cowboy

Rank 0

Traveler I

The montero not the montero sport right? What kind of mileage, and more importantly, range are you getting?

Not the Sport. Obviously my mileage is dependent on the driving. As high as twenty on the freeway at high altitudes, but that may be pushing it a bit. I like to say 15 to 20 but I'm off road ALOT so probably closer to 15. The tank is quite large. I think it's 25 gallon or thereabouts so the range is decent. There's a lot I want to do with this vehicle. where to start?

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
I bought my 2 dr JK because I needed a way to get up to our cabin build sight before we cleared for a real driveway. Bought my 4dr JK because unfortunately I need to leave the cabin to get our monthly resupply, but we have three miles to where the County starts plowing. The full size trucks really struggle on our mountain road. Self recovery is paramount, and our forest road can be an adventure from October to May. Always pulling out rigs who aren't prepared.

Enjoy both because I'm last in line for 100miles to Montana and have over 1000 miles of trails in my backyard.25790863_2010474258967983_1984609797247717864_o.jpg

Gregory Youngblood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Alamogordo, NM
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Youngblood
Member #

Not the Sport. Obviously my mileage is dependent on the driving. As high as twenty on the freeway at high altitudes, but that may be pushing it a bit. I like to say 15 to 20 but I'm off road ALOT so probably closer to 15. The tank is quite large. I think it's 25 gallon or thereabouts so the range is decent. There's a lot I want to do with this vehicle. where to start?
I don't mind 15 to 20 but I hate these 18 gallon tanks that barely give you 350 miles. And off road or other driving it can drop under 300. That montero is sounding pretty good.

Trilow1

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have always liked Jeeps CJs and Wranglers, but wanted something bigger with more creature comforts. After much research and watching the check book, i decided on a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee. This winter I'm building it up and will be ready to explore this coming year.

family-overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Konstanz, Germany
First Name
phil
Last Name
mädler
Member #

After my Lada Niva suffered some blown-out piston-rings and an intake that is totally oil smudged it was time for a tough decision. So i traded it in and now i can call myself a nissan pathfinder owner. Way more space and way more power. And the mileage is also better than the old thirsty rig.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Gregory Youngblood

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Did you buy your current vehicle specifically for overland purpose and choose it because of specific options/reputation within the overland community? Already owned it and made modifications to serve dual purpose as daily driver and overland mule? Brand loyalty? Had hankered to own that brand/model? Give it a lot of forethought and seek it out or write the check and think it through a little later?

You?
Interesting questions and responses. Here's mine:

Nope, did not buy specifically for overland as you seem to mean it, nor chose it because of specific options/rep within the overland community. Though I did buy it specifically for long distance travel and its options and rep for such. This was before expeditionportal started and way before overlandbound began and overland became such the buzzword it is now. My vehicles going back to the late 60's have had multiple and diverse uses over long distance.

My current vehicle is spacious, can accommodate living in it/out of it, can haul cargo, is high clearance, rugged, dependable, has parts that are available everywhere though rarely needs them, has a diesel engine and terrific fuel efficiency (especially for its size), and a low key appearance (looks like a clean professional work vehicle in urban and rural), among other positive attributes.

Already owned it, yes. It has served as my daily as well as mule for a variety of tasks from work to adventure since first purchasing it. Brand loyalty? Yep, had another like it for 7-8 years before this one, though Chevy, not GMC, with similar engine, body, and ability. Had definitely hankered to own a GM van when I had a Ford, yes, before these two GM vehicles, which has been going on some eighteen years now. Great decision, very cost-efficient over the years. Thought it out thoroughly, yes, as is my tendency for purchase of this sort. Did the same with my trailer.

Appreciate you asking, always interesting to look back at how things evolved in one's own life.

roaddude_grapevine-savana-xv2-0807-900.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Gregory Youngblood