SmittyBuilt RTT Overlander XL???????

• HTML tutorial

FJBruiser

Rank III

Advocate II

I just mounted the newly purchased SmittyBuilt Overlander XL tent on my FJ Cruiser. This is supposed to be a budget friendly RTT. I purchased it and an annex from 4WD website. I have not used it yet and plan on going out in it this weekend.

Has anyone out there purchased this tent? Any honest reviews ?

It seems very rugged and heavy duty. I am curious how it will hold up. 20180619_204021.jpeg20180619_203931.jpeg20180619_203919.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app

Biker Eagle

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Chelsea, AL, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Culbertson
Member #

Service Branch
Former NOPD LEO
I have the regular Smittybilt RTT. It has done well so far with about 20 nights camping in the last 18 months. Beware of the straps...they are crap and break easily so don't tug too hard on them. I will eventually replace them all. We took up the mattress and cut to size some Dow foam insulation to place between the mattress and the base. Made it much more comfortable in winter camping, and eliminated the sweating issue under the mattress. Cheap easy fix. The new model Smittybilt tents have improved dramatically from their 1st gen tents, and when on sale are a great value. Enjoy.
20161228_171341(1).jpeg

FJBruiser

Rank III

Advocate II

Well first outing was a success! It was a true test for this tent as we had amazing torrential rainy weather. The tent had zero leaks and kept us all very dry. The only con that I noticed was that the rainfly kept a lot of water on the roof and I was forced to push on the roof of the tent from inside to move all the water away. I dont know if this is a user error and I needed to install the rainfly differently.

Either way. We enjoyed our first outing and hope to have many more.

Oh and I plan on purchasing an additional 2" memory foam insert to increase the mattress pad thickness.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

When in search for RTT @ the 1st of my trailer build last year, I looked & researched many of them out their. Designs & materials were pretty close to the same. Price isn't a issue with me. I heard from forums that Smittybilt Overlander Tents were junk. As "for me" I do not always believe what I hear or read. But when you go on-line & check out actual reviews they say a different story, other wise positive reviews. The reason why I purchased the Smittybilt Roof Top Tent was I have a good friend who works for them (NO I didn't get a friend deal either). Their was also some video's on you tube that kinda help me decide to go with Smittybilt by 410 Expeditions "Cappy" about the 1st Gen Smittybilt RTT review & a second review on the 2nd Gen Smittybilt RTT he made. These video's pretty much sealed the deal with me. Smittybilt has been making vast changes & improvements to their product lines & contines to do so. What verifies this even more is that Smittybilt made a huge improvement on the Annex for the 2783 tent by moving the entrance to the annex over to the side, when it used to be in the front of the ladder.

Watching both of those video's plus talking with my friend who works for Smittybilt the vast improvements Smittybilt continuously makes on there product line is only a good asset & shows me they do care about their products.

Now the mattress stinks, no if's, and's or but's about it, it is flat out uncomfortable. But what I read about "most" RTT mattresses seem to be this way. But after researching for a new mattress & reading about make shift solutions on forums I decided to go with a new whole mattress: Exped Duo Mega Mat 10 Queen Size extra long\extra wide. This mattress is like sleeping on my home mattress which is tempurpedic mattress. https://www.backcountry.com/exped-megamat-duo-10-sleeping-p…

I own the Smittybilt 2783 RTT for some time now. My overall review of this tent from "my opinion" when I 1st purchased it to now with many trips & nights slept in it from cold night down low as 23 degrees & hot southern summer nights in the 80's & in windy rainy conditions w\ the new mattress that aids in comfort to our RTT is a win win for Sally & I. The tent is structually sound & IMO will give years of use w\o issues., assuming the typical little things will go: velcro straps & small items which IMO are give me's to any RTT which in time from continuous use will need to be replaced or fixed.

IMO a good quailty anti condensation mat is a must, which mine is a CVT mat, & a shoe hammock instead of that horrible designed shoe bag. The shoe bag we used to store our Coleman collapsible oven in. What I like & think that works for Sally & I is any personal mod's or add-on's to the RTT only makes for more of a enjoyable & memorable camping trip.
Compact Camping Concepts sells these shoe hammocks. https://compact-camping-concepts-2.myshopify.com/…/tent-sho…
060.JPG 006.JPG 037.JPG

Last edited:

FJBruiser

Rank III

Advocate II

When in search for RTT @ the 1st of my trailer build last year, I looked & researched many of them out their. Designs & materials were pretty close to the same. Price isn't a issue with me. I heard from forums that Smittybilt Overlander Tents were junk. As "for me" I do not always believe what I hear or read. But when you go on-line & check out actual reviews they say a different story, other wise positive reviews. The reason why I purchased the Smittybilt Roof Top Tent was I have a good friend who works for them (NO I didn't get a friend deal either). Their was also some video's on you tube that kinda help me decide to go with Smittybilt by 410 Expeditions "Cappy" about the 1st Gen Smittybilt RTT review & a second review on the 2nd Gen Smittybilt RTT he made. These video's pretty much sealed the deal with me. Smittybilt has been making vast changes & improvements to their product lines & contines to do so. What verifies this even more is that Smittybilt made a huge improvement on the Annex for the 2783 tent by moving the entrance to the annex over to the side, when it used to be in the front of the ladder.

Watching both of those video's plus talking with my friend who works for Smittybilt the vast improvements Smittybilt continuously makes on there product line is only a good asset & shows me they do care about their products.

Now the mattress stinks, no if's, and's or but's about it, it is flat out uncomfortable. But what I read about "most" RTT mattresses seem to be this way. But after researching for a new mattress & reading about make shift solutions on forums I decided to go with a new whole mattress: Exped Duo Mega Mat 10 Queen Size extra long\extra wide. This mattress is like sleeping on my home mattress which is tempurpedic mattress. https://www.backcountry.com/exped-megamat-duo-10-sleeping-p…

I own the Smittybilt 2783 RTT for some time now. My overall review of this tent from "my opinion" when I 1st purchased it to now with many trips & nights slept in it from cold night down low as 23 degrees & hot southern summer nights in the 80's & in windy rainy conditions w\ the new mattress that aids in comfort to our RTT is a win win for Sally & I. The tent is structually sound & IMO will give years of use w\o issues., assuming the typical little things will go: velcro straps & small items which IMO are give me's to any RTT which in time from continuous use will need to be replaced or fixed.

IMO a good quailty anti condensation mat is a must, which mine is a CVT mat, & a shoe hammock instead of that horrible designed shoe bag. The shoe bag we used to store our Coleman collapsible oven in. What I like & think that works for Sally & I is any personal mod's or add-on's to the RTT only makes for more of a enjoyable & memorable camping trip.
Compact Camping Concepts sells these shoe hammocks. https://compact-camping-concepts-2.myshopify.com/…/tent-sho…
View attachment 60209 View attachment 60210 View attachment 60211

Thank you so much for the in-depth reply/review. I am already looking at your suggested add ons and hope to have some purchased prior to my big trip this summer.

Thanks a ton ArkansasDon

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Joey Anderson

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Hi guys!

We've used our Overlander XL Tent for about 2 years now. We camp and trail explore about 15 days a month, 8 months out of the year. Needless to say, we use the hell out of it. Roughly about 100-120 nights a year inside this thing. We use it ontop of our Smittbilt Scout Trailer and its a very nice setup. There are some things that we have found that are great and some that aren't so great (but manageable). Here is my simple list for ya (sorry I don't have time to type a long review, but here's some info):

Top 5 Pros:
1. Cost - $1099 retail
2. The XL has plenty of room fr my family of three
3. Never once did we have a leak from rain and it handles wind very well!
4. The material is fairly good and we've had no tears within the main tent yet
5. Folds up nicely with sleeping bags in it and is very easy to use

Top 5 Cons:
1. The overhang vestibule collapsed from too much water buildup during a storm because it has no support underneath
2. While 4x4'ing, we lost a bolt in the hinge and had no idea until we went to set it up and the poles inside bent from binding up due to missing bolt (very thin aluminum riveted poles)
3. The cover for the tent has been weathered pretty heavily and has some tears now from road travel and straps over the top have torn. (also the ladder has two very loose rungs - free spinning)
4. The mattress sucks after a few months of solid regular use and the structure below the vestibule feels flimsy when you crawl around in the tent
5. The rain-fly is removable but does not store easily within your vehicle if you decide not to use it

As far as warranty, we have had a GREAT experience with Smittybilt Service and they are currently sending us an entire new tent and hub for our trailer. All we did is write a letter and send photos of damage. I don't think this tent product was meant to be used and abused as much as we use it. We are not your typical weekend warrior.....we are out ALL THE TIME. Feel free to contact me with any other questions! Smittybilt is GREAT and we roll with many of their products!! Definitely recommend buying one of these if you are out there a little less than us. Maybe more of a weekend type tent purchase.

Hope that helps. You can see photos and video of our setup on instagram and facebook @andersonoverland if you would like to see more.

Thanks and good luck!!

Joey Anderson
Anderson Overland
www.andersonoverland.com
@andersonoverland
andersonoverland@gmail.com

Last edited:

Ian McAdorey

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Syracuse, NY 13219, USA
First Name
Ian
Last Name
McAdorey
Member #

Jumping in here as a Overlander XL RTT owner. I have not had the chance to use it yet as my weekends have been full with family and work so far all summer. Mostly replying to subscribe on this post to read later, but I cant wait to give my feedback once I have stayed in it!

Reactions: FJBruiser

Go2AllThePlaces

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Las Vegas
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Umlauf
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BBB
Jumping in here as a Overlander XL RTT owner. I have not had the chance to use it yet as my weekends have been full with family and work so far all summer. Mostly replying to subscribe on this post to read later, but I cant wait to give my feedback once I have stayed in it!

Same here bought it a few months ago and haven't had a nights sleep in it yet. Should be out this week though!

Go2AllThePlaces

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Las Vegas
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Umlauf
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BBB
Same here bought it a few months ago and haven't had a nights sleep in it yet. Should be out this week though!
took it out twice overnight and the thing holdups up like a champ. Only thing I really don't like is the mattress, so ill be exploring options to replace that ASAP as i really couldnt get a good nights sleep on it

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

most RTT mattress's are this way. Google it, you will see even the high end 3,500. RTT have this problem. Look into the Exped Self Inflating Mattress & match to the size tent you have. It's pricy but well worth it. I've tried many make cheap shift slap together solutions with little to no difference for the wife & I. The Exped is like sleeping in a high end mattress, you can adjust the comfort level to you & whom ever. It reminds Sally & I of our tempurpedic mattress @ home. You sleep that good.

Reactions: Mudraider

Go2AllThePlaces

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Las Vegas
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Umlauf
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BBB
most RTT mattress's are this way. Google it, you will see even the high end 3,500. RTT have this problem. Look into the Exped Self Inflating Mattress & match to the size tent you have. It's pricy but well worth it. I've tried many make cheap shift slap together solutions with little to no difference for the wife & I. The Exped is like sleeping in a high end mattress, you can adjust the comfort level to you & whom ever. It reminds Sally & I of our tempurpedic mattress @ home. You sleep that good.
Do you know off hand if they have a king size? I've looked a bit but have only seen up to queen i think, I wouldn't mind spending the extra money as I did save a few buck by buying the smittybilt !!

McOverlanders

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Las Vegas NV
Member #

I have one (XL) and it does have a king mattress (King sheets fit). The mattress is only 2" so I recommend another 2"memory foam on top. Still will fold with it plus sheets, comforter and pillows. Also we had it out last night in a big rain/wind storm here in Vegas. Did great with the rain and wind. Just needed heavier items for the tie downs for the annex overhang. Just make sure the rain cover straps are tight and all good. Ours is on top of a Smittybilt Scout trailer as well I am fixing up.

Reactions: Go2AllThePlaces

McOverlanders

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Las Vegas NV
Member #

But the one thing I would like to know is what people are using for sheets for this mattress. The fitted king sheet is too long on the sides and the flat sheet doesn't stay in place. A sleeping bag is too hot sometimes. What are you using? And where did you get it?

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

I just mounted the newly purchased SmittyBuilt Overlander XL tent on my FJ Cruiser. This is supposed to be a budget friendly RTT. I purchased it and an annex from 4WD website. I have not used it yet and plan on going out in it this weekend.

Has anyone out there purchased this tent? Any honest reviews ?

It seems very rugged and heavy duty. I am curious how it will hold up. View attachment 59271View attachment 59272View attachment 59273

Sent from my SM-G955U using OB Talk mobile app
My wife and I absolutely love it! So happy that we don't have to struggle with a zipper to hold the cover on like some other brands. Velcro closure is no joke! The tent material is a touch lighter than some of the more pricey brands but still just as heavy as any quality ground tent material. I do wish the LED light strip came with a switch in the tent. Other than that I have had ZERO complaints!!!34416366_10211745431211382_334594668371116032_n.jpg

Reactions: Chadlyb

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

Hi guys!

We've used our Overlander XL Tent for about 2 years now. We camp and trail explore about 15 days a month, 8 months out of the year. Needless to say, we use the hell out of it. Roughly about 100-120 nights a year inside this thing. We use it ontop of our Smittbilt Scout Trailer and its a very nice setup. There are some things that we have found that are great and some that aren't so great (but manageable). Here is my simple list for ya (sorry I don't have time to type a long review, but here's some info):

Top 5 Pros:
1. Cost - $1099 retail
2. The XL has plenty of room fr my family of three
3. Never once did we have a leak from rain and it handles wind very well!
4. The material is fairly good and we've had no tears within the main tent yet
5. Folds up nicely with sleeping bags in it and is very easy to use

Top 5 Cons:
1. The overhang vestibule collapsed from too much water buildup during a storm because it has no support underneath
2. While 4x4'ing, we lost a bolt in the hinge and had no idea until we went to set it up and the poles inside bent from binding up due to missing bolt (very thin aluminum riveted poles)
3. The cover for the tent has been weathered pretty heavily and has some tears now from road travel and straps over the top have torn. (also the ladder has two very loose rungs - free spinning)
4. The mattress sucks after a few months of solid regular use and the structure below the vestibule feels flimsy when you crawl around in the tent
5. The rain-fly is removable but does not store easily within your vehicle if you decide not to use it

As far as warranty, we have had a GREAT experience with Smittybilt Service and they are currently sending us an entire new tent and hub for our trailer. All we did is write a letter and send photos of damage. I don't think this tent product was meant to be used and abused as much as we use it. We are not your typical weekend warrior.....we are out ALL THE TIME. Feel free to contact me with any other questions! Smittybilt is GREAT and we roll with many of their products!! Definitely recommend buying one of these if you are out there a little less than us. Maybe more of a weekend type tent purchase.

Hope that helps. You can see photos and video of our setup on instagram and facebook @andersonoverland if you would like to see more.

Thanks and good luck!!

Joey Anderson
Anderson Overland
www.andersonoverland.com
@andersonoverland
andersonoverland@gmail.com
Great & honest post! Following on instagram.

Go2AllThePlaces

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Las Vegas
First Name
Christian
Last Name
Umlauf
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7BBB
Has anyone noticed any of their nuts and bolts have fallen off of their XL's? I have 3 missing on one side of the hinge and 2 on the other side of the hinge. When I was up in it it felt like it was going to fall out as it jumped the gutter underneath. I contacted smittybilt and they sent me new hardware and told me to use red loctite on them when putting back on. Just wondering if this is a one off or if its a known problem