Smittybilt Overland Trailer

• HTML tutorial

Enthusiast III

Costa Mesa
First Name
Stan
Last Name
Wingert
I found a place here in Costa Mesa that is willing to fabricate a water tank for me that will fit underneath the trailer in the back supposed to go there tomorrow for them to take measurements will keep everyone posted on the size of the of the tank and how many gallons it will hold I told him if it works out there will be other people contacting them for tank also

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I found a place here in Costa Mesa that is willing to fabricate a water tank for me that will fit underneath the trailer in the back supposed to go there tomorrow for them to take measurements will keep everyone posted on the size of the of the tank and how many gallons it will hold I told him if it works out there will be other people contacting them for tank also

Dang, now I'm in a quandary on my water tank. I had the tank, so coated it with bed liner so it blended in with the trailer and made metal straps. Don't want to drill holes unless I have to. Maybe I'll measure the tongue weight tonight...

Reactions: TacocaT

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I couldn't find my tongue scale, so decided to just grab the tongue and lift. GEEZ, it's heavy. So, my tank will not go in the spare tire spot. In fact, I will just be putting a propane tank, table and chairs in that spot.

I also crawled under the rear of the trailer, and with all the suspension parts, there's not much room under the trailer. Since I'm trying to get the trailer ready to go to Goose Creek Jeep Trail in Montana in 2 weeks, I need a quick, cheap solution. So, I bought a 13 gallon water tank off ebay for $41. it measures 21x9x16, so it will fit well on the left tray in the main cargo area. It leaves room in the back for a storage container, as well as one on top of the tank for another container, so doesn't consume much room. I will use a check valve on the top vent to let air in but not let water out, and use a ball valve on the edge to access water. This will do the trick for now while I wait on the results of the tank under the rear of the trailer

Reactions: Tim N Michele Davis

Enthusiast III

Costa Mesa
First Name
Stan
Last Name
Wingert
Here is the info on the company that is willing to make me a tank they said they will give me a price on it tomorrow as the mockup is done Estimate 20 gallons
OK they gave me the estimate for stainless steel is $1300.00

Marine Fabricators Inc
921 W 18th St,
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
(949) 645-1334
IMG_1584(1).JPG IMG_1587.JPG IMG_1586.JPG IMG_1589.JPG IMG_1590.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: WestCoast4x4

Enthusiast III

Costa Mesa
First Name
Stan
Last Name
Wingert
That's what I said so we pulled the trigger on the new ARB stainless steel fridge water tank Will have to wait a little bit

Silverback07

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Texas
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Braden
Member #

Nice.. I have the older 50qt ARB.. its been running non-stop for the past 8 years (knock on wood). I really like the new one though.

beck4u

Rank V
Launch Member

Explorer I

Patterson, CA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Becker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6JAG
Great thread. I've been interested in this trailer. Saw one at overland expo west and it looked durable enough. How do the sliders feel with weight on them? Am I correct in remembering that the trailers do not come with tires and wheels?

Silverback07

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Texas
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Braden
Member #

Great thread. I've been interested in this trailer. Saw one at overland expo west and it looked durable enough. How do the sliders feel with weight on them? Am I correct in remembering that the trailers do not come with tires and wheels?
Sliders feels fine. I put my wife on a side the back and it slid her out without any issues. Now she was creeped out a bit because it was like a morgue. LOL

SoCal Wynn

Rank 0

Contributor I

SoCal
For those who have ordered, did they deliver to your home? Some places state delivering only to commercial addresses with shipping dock. Don't have access or know of places like that.

Silverback07

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Central Texas
First Name
Sean
Last Name
Braden
Member #

Congrats!! I had mine delivered to the local 4wP and then hired a roll-back truck to slid it on and place it in my garage on dollies. Worked like a champ and cost was about $75. Not as good as a buddy with a warehouse and forklift though!

professorkx

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Pulled the trigger and found a buddy who had a warehouse and forklift! So stoked!
You will love it. We took a 5 day trip in ours, and it was better than expected. You will have fun hetting it ready. Here are some of my modifications:

- I installed a 13 gallon water tank on the shelf in the kitchen box. The tank has a filler neck Added two shallow plastic containers on top for additional storage.
- For the rear jacks, I drilled another hole for the pin about 1 inch further in from the original pin. While traveling, I move the jack mount to the opposite side and flip it upside down. The jack will them mount to the jack mount upside down, and I use a piece of velcro to keep the handle from swinging down.
- Wired LED lights in every box.
- mounted 18 watt flood lights on the awning mount facing forward and backwards, and a third pointing away from the trailer. i added a remote that allows me to turn on the lights without leaving the roof top tent, and the remote even has a strobe setting. Works great for convincing bears they need to vacate my camp in the middle of the night.
- purchased a Lock N Roll hitch. The trailer stinger didn't have a drop, so I cut the stinger at an angle, and welded to a normal 2 inch drop stinger. Looks like it came in that configuration.
- The tongue is heavy, so I mounted a propane tank in that spot, cut and laid 1/4 horse stall mat to protect the metal. chairs and folding table go in this spot while traveling...perfect spot.
- wired the stock battery to an optima blue top that lives in the tongue box.
- purchased plastic storage containers from home depot for the generator drawer and the drivers side rear drawer. the containers keep things organized and easy to remove from the trailer.
- added an 82 quart ARB fridge to the passenger side drawer in the rear. there's just enough room for a Buddy Heater to be stored behind the ARB.

Modifying is half the fun...

Tim N Michele Davis

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Hartselle Al
Member #

You will love it. We took a 5 day trip in ours, and it was better than expected. You will have fun hetting it ready. Here are some of my modifications:

- I installed a 13 gallon water tank on the shelf in the kitchen box. The tank has a filler neck Added two shallow plastic containers on top for additional storage.
- For the rear jacks, I drilled another hole for the pin about 1 inch further in from the original pin. While traveling, I move the jack mount to the opposite side and flip it upside down. The jack will them mount to the jack mount upside down, and I use a piece of velcro to keep the handle from swinging down.
- Wired LED lights in every box.
- mounted 18 watt flood lights on the awning mount facing forward and backwards, and a third pointing away from the trailer. i added a remote that allows me to turn on the lights without leaving the roof top tent, and the remote even has a strobe setting. Works great for convincing bears they need to vacate my camp in the middle of the night.
- purchased a Lock N Roll hitch. The trailer stinger didn't have a drop, so I cut the stinger at an angle, and welded to a normal 2 inch drop stinger. Looks like it came in that configuration.
- The tongue is heavy, so I mounted a propane tank in that spot, cut and laid 1/4 horse stall mat to protect the metal. chairs and folding table go in this spot while traveling...perfect spot.
- wired the stock battery to an optima blue top that lives in the tongue box.
- purchased plastic storage containers from home depot for the generator drawer and the drivers side rear drawer. the containers keep things organized and easy to remove from the trailer.
- added an 82 quart ARB fridge to the passenger side drawer in the rear. there's just enough room for a Buddy Heater to be stored behind the ARB.

Modifying is half the fun...
How about some pictures of these mods!

Reactions: 4Roner