Small Propane Tanks

• HTML tutorial

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

I carry both 5lb & 20lb with us depending on what time of the year. I have the 5lb tank is mounted on the trailer w\AT Overland mount. The 20lb we take with us in late winter to early spring camping for our Proplex Tent Furnace. 5lb tanks is used for the cook stove.
5lb tank is Manchester
20lb tank is exchanged type set into a milk crate.
005.JPG

Last edited:

KC2BUN

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Salem County NJ
Member #

Honestly I'm not sure how my user name got to be what it is on this forum. That is actually my PlayStation user name/gamer tag. Typically on forums I go by bmwguru. My name is Jim, nice to meet you.
Ohhh i asked cause im Brian Budd
Xbox live handle BorrachoBudd

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I like these 11 lb thin tanks. I can use it on the rack on the back of my jeep where a Jerry can would normally go. Out here in CA you can't have a fire for most of the year but a propane firepit is ok. The pits can burn some propane though.
Yeah, it's like having ten stove burners going, but I love my propane fire pit. Used it for both warmth and rig lighting in a lot of my night sky images.

Reactions: Brewbud

HeliSniper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Dallas, Texas
First Name
Brad
Last Name
S
Member #

When I bought my trailer it had a small tank mounted to the back of the passenger fender. I bought an extra 11lb tank so as not to run out.
Coming back from Overland West I took the slow route through southern Colorado, cooked every night and day, heated water for showers, let the lantern run all night on ultra low, and never got through the little tank.
IMG_3894[114115].jpg

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

Yeah, it's like having ten stove burners going, but I love my propane fire pit. Used it for both warmth and rig lighting in a lot of my night sky images.
Which fire pit do you have? I have the Camp Chef Del Rio. It is too big so I want to retire it to home use only. I need to get a smaller one.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Which fire pit do you have? I have the Camp Chef Del Rio. It is too big so I want to retire it to home use only. I need to get a smaller one.

I have the Camp Chef Compact Propane Fire Ring, which has actually gone down in price since I bought mine, and at $69.93 is right now about a third the price of the Del Rio.

I love mine and like the way it fits into my packing scheme. It is shallow in height when the legs are folded under and it is packed in its bag. It is 55,000 BTU and comes with 12lbs of lava rock. I often keep it on the floor of the passenger seat in my van because it is often one of the first things to come out when camping in cooler areas or in burn ban areas.

I've found that when I have a couple awning side walls up on the side the wind is coming from, the fire ring does a really great job at bringing up the temps and taking off the chill, even with the rest of the sides open. I cook on it too, and sometimes it is the only light under the awning late at night. It gets used a lot.

Here's a couple pics that better explain the size:

campchef.jpg
Under the awning on a chilly, windy, night.

campchefcomparison-800.jpg
Camp Chef Compact Fire Ring in the black bag next to the Skottle in its green bag.

packingbird_7379-900.jpg
Was doing a short vid on packing schemes and efficiency and this bird came to help.
I'm pointing, though, at the typical size of my packed gear and how I like similarly sized items for flexibility in packing, which the camp chef fire ring in its bag fits perfectly.

roaddude_XV2-milkyway-7124-900.jpeg
Other than an iPod screen, the fire ring is the only light under the awning in this night shot on the Mexican border.
I put a couple of my storage boxes in front of the fire ring for this shot so it wouldn't make a hot spot in the image.

I've always depended on my two 20# propane tanks and a couple 10' propane extension hoses, but after seeing this thread and discussion of smaller tanks again, I might swap out one of the 20# for two 11# tanks and have a little more flexibility in packing, or mount them to either side of the 20# on the tongue platform.

Helpful thread. Thanks for starting it, @Hank Outdoors

dynobyte

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

GA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Boggs
Member #

I carry both 5lb & 20lb with us depending on what time of the year. I have the 5lb tank is mounted on the trailer w\AT Overland mount. The 20lb we take with us in late winter to early spring camping for our Proplex Tent Furnace. 5lb tanks is used for the cook stove.
5lb tank is Manchester
20lb tank is exchanged type set into a milk crate.
View attachment 79042
What kind of trailer is that?