Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Nice rig, would love to see your set up in more detail. I have an XJ as well, only 2wd but it hasnt left me me stranded yet.
I wasn't sure I'd be OK with a 2 dr. XJ vs. 4 dr. for camping but it's been great. I slept in the back - moved the passenger's seat forward, entered from that side and with my head at the tailgate. I could sit up just fine with my feet in the rear footwell. Changing clothes was no problem. I use this as a daily driver and don't want to build a drawer or kitchen system for it.

Just a few quick notes ...
- Sleeping pad with a wool blanket. Very comfortable and plenty of space for me at 5'8".
- Made some window screens with removable rain gutters.
- Have a 12V fan in the cargo area but will only need it on the hottest of nights. It's powered by the 2000W 12V inverter power pack seen in the back. It has a light, USB, 12V jacks, DC plugs, etc.
- Installed a 12V "porch' light for under the canopy. Works great! ( SUPAREE LED RV Exterior Porch Utility Light - Black 12V 750 Lumen Lighting Fixture Kit Replacement for RVs Trailers Campers, Lighting - Amazon Canada ). Hard to get a good night pic due to brightness.
- Also added LED strips to the rear headliner and the tailgate door - triggered by separate on/off switches when the tailgate is open.
- I built the roof rack to carry the canopy and 1 kayak. When my wife and I camp I swap out the cross bars and take 2 kayaks. When it's the 2 of us I tow a tear drop trailer and don't need the Jeep canopy.
- The cargo area was not packed full but close to it. When away from camp (kayaking, fishing, hiking, etc.) I put all miscellaneous camp equipment, paddles/PFD, rod/box/net, fire wood, clothes bag, cooler, etc. in my "camp garage". It's a not quite 4'x8' air suspension tent (no poles) and it holds a LOT, although not seen with much in it below. Apart from keeping my site clean and organized plus freeing up cargo area to sleep in, it gives a "presence" when I'm away from the site. I wouldn't want to leave my "stuff" exposed. It's the only thing on the site when I'm not and I'm sure people walk by and say ... "poor guy has to sleep in THAT thing. :grinning:

Here are some pics taken during this trip ....

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Rmverissimo15

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

Nice rig, would love to see your set up in more detail. I have an XJ as well, only 2wd but it hasnt left me me stranded yet.
btw - I have a 1988 2WD MJ (the XJ is a 1989) and I love it! I don't camp with it but it's great to boot around in. It's 95% original, runs great and I can fit 2 kayaks in the bed for day trips. Plus I can drag home a lot of used Jeep parts with it!

Depending on where you're going you should be fine with 2WD XJ for a lot of exploring.

Attachments

Reactions: Rmverissimo15