San Gabriel, CA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Old
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRJK336
I’m thinking about taking my HAM Technician exam in June, with the Rio Hondo Amateur Radio Club in Whittier. Anyone interested in joining me?

I’ll confirm the date/time, fee, etc when I receive more details.

Reactions: PalmeredHackle

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
You do know, once you get the ham license you get to buy new stuff.
Running both 2m and GMRS at the same time, you will see why I like 2M so much.
BTW
Meeting this week?
remind me to bring the oil filters.

PalmeredHackle

Rank III

Traveler III

San Gabriel Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Fish
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NN6RF
For those interested in getting nerdy with Jeff, I recommend you use hamstudy.org or the hamstudy app. Easiest way to pass. I also recommend going for your technician and general at the same time, it's not that much more study and you get a lot more access. Also you pay a flat rate for however many tests you do in one sitting.

Last edited:

PalmeredHackle

Rank III

Traveler III

San Gabriel Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Fish
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NN6RF
Also might be somewhat discouraged, but the hamstudy tests essentially allow you to memorize the test pool so you don't need to 'learn' anything to pass, just know the correct choices. That's how I passed tech and general, you learn much more by actually operating afterwards than you would actually learn during the testing. The only thing I'd say is pay attention to some of the rules regarding how you are supposed to operate as well as any etiquette questions as they can actually get you in trouble. The rest is just nerdy science stuff that you don't necessarily need in order to start talking.

Big Blue

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Gabriel, CA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Old
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
@smritte I’ve got my Baofeng to hold me over till Black Friday.

@socal66 Let’s do it Carl. Drew is also joining us. Rick, Chris?

@PalmeredHackle I signed up for HAMradioprep.com yesterday. I should’ve inquired around first. We’ll all be sad hams soon! Woohoo!

Reactions: smritte

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

A while back I did the online ham test exam where they would test you over and over with the questions that would be on the exam and I was able to get a passing rate after a few iterations of that. I’ll probably go to that as my core study method and watch a few of the videos on YouTube that walk through the topics to hopefully understand somewhat what I’m scoring well on.

Big Blue

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Gabriel, CA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Old
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
@Grey Hawk will get us some info about the June exam. The HAMradioprep app is pretty good. They provide info via videos and print. It’s $28 per course though (with promo ARC20).

Big Blue

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

San Gabriel, CA, USA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Old
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Weekend Offroad has another event coming up late June. You can register in their site.

Attachments