• HTML tutorial

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

G

Great video of your trip, the family, the friends, and you travel with a mascot named Lola. I am positive she is good luck on the trips ;) Since you guys weren't able to complete fish creek you will have to join in on the fun of this trip!!!!!!
@steve san diego

Never thought of Lola as our mascot before, but sure lol! She is now appointed Inspiring Adventure Overland Mascot, done its in the books. The wife will be pleased with this one.

steve san diego

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

So it seems like an October trip has a little traction. I wanted to throw out a date and see if we can plan for it. Would October 26th and 27th work for folks? Again we would be going out the night on the 25th to camp. Fish creek is on the list of to do's for this trip. Additional places to hit would be the mud caves over in the badlands. These I have been to and it is a nice canyon to drive through with the bonus of the mud caves. I have never been to the pumpkin patch or the Gas Domes. I know the Domes are relatively close to fish creek. There is also an abandoned naval station further north and east closer to the salton sea. I thought that would be a fun place to visit as well. I know to drive fish creek there are clearance issues as seen in Kyle and Kari's video. If all vehicles couldn't actually drive it we could potentially have folks jump into vehicles that have room that can do the route (just a thought). If anyone has any other suggestions or interests please throw them out :) Lets get this planning started :)

Reactions: Kyle & Kari Frink

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Clairemont, San Diego, CA 92117
Member #

So it seems like an October trip has a little traction. I wanted to throw out a date and see if we can plan for it. Would October 26th and 27th work for folks? Again we would be going out the night on the 25th to camp. Fish creek is on the list of to do's for this trip. Additional places to hit would be the mud caves over in the badlands. These I have been to and it is a nice canyon to drive through with the bonus of the mud caves. I have never been to the pumpkin patch or the Gas Domes. I know the Domes are relatively close to fish creek. There is also an abandoned naval station further north and east closer to the salton sea. I thought that would be a fun place to visit as well. I know to drive fish creek there are clearance issues as seen in Kyle and Kari's video. If all vehicles couldn't actually drive it we could potentially have folks jump into vehicles that have room that can do the route (just a thought). If anyone has any other suggestions or interests please throw them out :) Lets get this planning started :)
I've been to all of those places. None of them require anything beyond the clearance of a 4Runner on almost stock tires with a slight lift. There are certainly areas you can go which require more, but the basic roads are easily traveled in a stock 4WD 4Runner. The only technical part I found was Diablo Drop Off. That was a bit interesting.

Reactions: Kyle & Kari Frink

steve san diego

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

I've been to all of those places. None of them require anything beyond the clearance of a 4Runner on almost stock tires with a slight lift. There are certainly areas you can go which require more, but the basic roads are easily traveled in a stock 4WD 4Runner. The only technical part I found was Diablo Drop Off. That was a bit interesting.

That is good to know!!! I laughed out lout about your Diablo Drop Off comment. That just needs a bit of commitment is all :) HAHA!!!!

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

That is good to know!!! I laughed out lout about your Diablo Drop Off comment. That just needs a bit of commitment is all :) HAHA!!!!
Yeah. We got to the top and there was a HUGE group (15 + rigs) ahead of us. They all stopped at the bottom for a group photo and we realized that if we didn't get ahead of them we were screwed for the rest of the trail. So I just had to go for it with no real preview and the only advice was "stay right." We both did just fine and got ahead of the group.

Here's my friend who was right behind me starting the drop:

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

It's been about a season since I last did the drop. At least for some subies there is only one spot you kinda have to worry about bottoming out. And that left hand turn at the bottom is kinda a squeeze.

I heard that the flash flood washed away some of the rock garden at the exit.

steve san diego

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

Yeah. We got to the top and there was a HUGE group (15 + rigs) ahead of us. They all stopped at the bottom for a group photo and we realized that if we didn't get ahead of them we were screwed for the rest of the trail. So I just had to go for it with no real preview and the only advice was "stay right." We both did just fine and got ahead of the group.

15 rigs?!?!? You would probably still be there in the que with only 4 rigs to go before your turn :)

Reactions: YETI X

steve san diego

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

Great photo!!!! Gets me excited to get out come some cooler weather and enjoy some Borrego time!!!!!

Sharkbait4x4

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Little Creek, Virginia Beach, VA, USA
First Name
Zack
Last Name
Campion
Member #

Diablo is only technical if you try and go up it. I have been there multiple times and both times i have had to back up parts of it because of someone coming up it. That is a great run. Skyline-123017113154.jpeg

YETI X

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Member #

Diablo is only technical if you try and go up it. I have been there multiple times and both times i have had to back up parts of it because of someone coming up it. That is a great run. View attachment 65239
When we went down, there were two parts where we lifted back wheel. No big deal, but could surprise the uninitiated.

It's been about a season since I last did the drop. At least for some subies there is only one spot you kinda have to worry about bottoming out. And that left hand turn at the bottom is kinda a squeeze.

I heard that the flash flood washed away some of the rock garden at the exit.
This rock garden? If that's the case, that's bummer as this was a really fun part.