US West San Diego Overland Bound Trail Runs

• HTML tutorial

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

I booked the Hip Camp spot I had posted a few days ago for September 28th - 30th. There are 540 acres that we will have to ourselves and depending on how many people commit it will determine the cost per person. Right now it is reserved for 6 people but we can have up to 56. Based on 6 people the cost per person would be $26 for the weekend, it is a wopping $5 per additional person, so the more we get the cost per person will go down, so if we get 20 people the cost goes down to ~$12/per person, which is more money towards beer!

It will be dispersed camping so no running water, no toilets (bring a shovel or a bucket), what ever is packed in needs to be packed out. There is some limited offroading and a few shooting spots, and I'm sure we can set up a few horse shoe pits, so we will have plenty of activities to do. I was thinking about doing a Pot luck dinner for Saturday night so everyone can make their camp specialties. I'm looking forward to this short trip and getting to know our fellow Overlanders!
@Snupee
Dude! Epic! Really appreciate stepping forward with this, the only question I have is this, is it actually $26 per person or is it $26 dollars per rig?​

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

@Snupee
Dude! Epic! Really appreciate stepping forward with this, the only question I have is this, is it actually $26 per person or is it $26 dollars per rig?​
So the way it goes for the fees is its $70/night for up to 6 people with fees for 2 days it was ~$156, then from there it is $5 per additional person. So the more people we get the cheaper the individual cost goes. I just broke it down per person because it was the easiest. We can try and figure out a per rig cost. Since I don't have an accurate head count at this point I didn't want to commit to to many people and be stuck with the bill if we had a bunch of no show's. I will float the cost and we can determine a cost per rig once we get a commitment from those that want to go?

Last edited:

mylilpwny

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Do you guys know what the trails in and out look like? Also how much space for camp. Interested in going and so is the wife. We may have our trailer by then ( Fleetwood Evo 2 hopefully .... I know not really an expo trailer but compromises right lol). If you don't think it will fit we will probably have our tent replaced by then.
Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Snupee
S

SubeeBen

I booked the Hip Camp spot I had posted a few days ago for September 28th - 30th. There are 540 acres that we will have to ourselves and depending on how many people commit it will determine the cost per person. Right now it is reserved for 6 people but we can have up to 56. Based on 6 people the cost per person would be $26 for the weekend, it is a wopping $5 per additional person, so the more we get the cost per person will go down, so if we get 20 people the cost goes down to ~$12/per person, which is more money towards beer!

It will be dispersed camping so no running water, no toilets (bring a shovel or a bucket), what ever is packed in needs to be packed out. There is some limited offroading and a few shooting spots, and I'm sure we can set up a few horse shoe pits, so we will have plenty of activities to do. I was thinking about doing a Pot luck dinner for Saturday night so everyone can make their camp specialties. I'm looking forward to this short trip and getting to know our fellow Overlanders!
Where is this camp ? As me & my wife are interested in meeting up.

Mogwai

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Member #

Do you guys know what the trails in and out look like? Also how much space for camp. Interested in going and so is the wife. We may have our trailer by then ( Fleetwood Evo 2 hopefully .... I know not really an expo trailer but compromises right lol). If you don't think it will fit we will probably have our tent replaced by then.
Thanks

It's rented out as accessible for cars so I'm sure you're fine.

This is rad! Put it on the calendar which means the wife can't fight it, good work!

Reactions: mylilpwny

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

Where is this camp ? As me & my wife are interested in meeting up.
Here are the details of the camp spot https://www.hipcamp.com/california/jonas-d-s-land/san-diego-mountain-camp

There is plenty of room for trailers (hoping to get one some day myself) or RVs from what the owner said. He said I could check out the property when ever I want, so I'll probably make a trip out there in next weekend and do some Recon and post some picture's. Its 540 acres so I think we will have plenty of space!

Reactions: mylilpwny

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

Hello All! I'm brand new to the area and to OB. My wife and I just moved from the Wilmington, NC area. I am hoping to join you all on the next trail run/camp out. We look forward to meeting everyone!
Welcome to San Diego and Overland Bound. Check out the monthly meet up thread below where we get together once a month to discuss ideas for trail runs and camp trips. thread https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/reoccurring-san-diego-overland-bound-monthly-meet-07-26-2018.13317/page-11#post-242113

Reactions: Kyle & Kari Frink

Sparky Bartee

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello fellow Diegans! Just joined and looking to play soon too. Love the idea of throwing around trail runs, ideas, etc...
Im heading to Big Bear first weekend of Aug via Millcreek Bypass and Clark's Grade if by chance you're going too, or wanna follow...lets coordinate!
hey socalKA......me and a couple other subies are doing the same run this sunday if you want to come out with us. Let me know.

Ben Haynes

Rank 0

Traveler I

I am starting to plan for a 4 night backcountry trip out of SD in early September. I love the Panamint Mtns and stuff like that but it’s going to be too hot then. Any suggestions for some cool camping trails in the Eastern Sierra? Something with enough altitude to be cool? TIA

Mogwai

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Member #

I am starting to plan for a 4 night backcountry trip out of SD in early September. I love the Panamint Mtns and stuff like that but it’s going to be too hot then. Any suggestions for some cool camping trails in the Eastern Sierra? Something with enough altitude to be cool? TIA
How technical do you want the trails? Want to setup on e and stay or go to a new place each day? Lots of options. Coyote Flat. Buttermilk country. Manzanar. Mazourka. Sand Flats/Wheeler ridge. Laurel Lakes. To name a few...