Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Helland
Member #

In this thread, we can plan and organize a group trip to Anza-Borrego October 18, 19, and 20. Feel free to come for the whole weekend or a single day.

Friday night we will be camping at 32.7780790, -116.0283200 near Ocotillo. Saturday morning we will meet up at the Fish Creek Primitive Campground 33.023782, -116.110042

Saturday mid-morning once everyone makes their way to Fish Creek, we will review recovery gear, recovery methods, and possibly create some demonstration opportunities. We will break after lunch into groups (if needed) to match up on trail difficulties or to explore similar areas of interest. We will return to Fish Creek to camp for the night.

We can discuss Sunday plans as a group. There could be a quick morning run to catch the sunrise for early birds, and/or a cruise through Borrego Springs to see the sculptures nearby.

View Rally Point

Ch3lland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Helland
Member #

What areas were y'all thinking?
nd
As of now about the only thing we have sorted out is the Fish Creek campground as a home base site. I've never been to the area so just going off maps and people's recommendations myself - are there any trails you have been wanting to do? We can add them to a list. @hopkillin and @Snupee were mentioning some they wanted to check out but I don't remember the names/locations of them.

69machguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nunya, USA
First Name
Wally
Last Name
Kunz
I’m socializing the dates with my family of four. Couple questions 1) would we meet at the destination FRI or caravan there, and at what time 2) are dogs allowed. Thanks

Reactions: SpaceGhost

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

As of now about the only thing we have sorted out is the Fish Creek campground as a home base site. I've never been to the area so just going off maps and people's recommendations myself - are there any trails you have been wanting to do? We can add them to a list. @hopkillin and @Snupee were mentioning some they wanted to check out but I don't remember the names/locations of them.
I think I can list what I can't do and might need to bum a ride. Can't do Pinyon canyon drop-off or the last section of sandstone canyon.

Honestly happy just to hang out!

69machguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nunya, USA
First Name
Wally
Last Name
Kunz
I just discovered the current dates aren't optimal for us. I'll be at an Orange County event until 4pm 10/19. Per Mapquest, it'll be 2.5+ hours to the campsite from OC. I may still be willing to do it, but will await full details re camping then make a decision.

Wally

SpaceGhost

Rank 0

Contributor II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Martinez
I think I can list what I can't do and might need to bum a ride. Can't do Pinyon canyon drop-off or the last section of sandstone canyon.

Honestly happy just to hang out!
Are there multiple/alternate routes? I’ve never been so I have no idea if I can make it or not. What’s the reason you can’t to those 2?

Ch3lland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Helland
Member #

I did update the Rally Point description slightly, and organized the notes about what we are still working on organizing. If it helps anyone get a better feel for the event that is. I won't be doing anything too challenging in my stock 4Runner - easy trails or just casually exploring the park since I've never been. @69machguy I did look up the rules and posted it in Rally Point notes as well, looks like dogs are allowed (on a leash, in campsites, etc etc). I think if the temps are fine I'll be bringing my pup along.

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

There are a lot of places to visit out there that are accessible in a stock 4x4. You may need to air down as it can be sandy in areas around Fish Creek. Wind caves are close by with a short hike. The Squeeze and Heart Attack hill would require a more built rig but technically those are one-way trails anyway, so it would mean a long drive around to get to the top and come back down. Diablo Drop off is an interesting trip from Fish Creek. It is usually doable in a stock 4x4 with good ground clearance. There are some tight spots with rocks. The trail varies a lot and I have seen the trail fo from easy to very hard after a rain. A fun 3/4 to full day run could be to Coyote Canyon with the plus that you can get fuel, food and other supplies at Borrego Springs. Coyote Canyon has some water crossings. The rock garden after the last water crossing has been getting easier and easier every yrar. Can't really call it a rock garden anymore. Sheep Canyon and Indian Canyon are the rewards for continuing past the last water crossing and rock garden. High clearance 4x4s are recommended but I have seen low clearance 4x4s out there some years. Coyote Canyon is closed June through Sept so the Big Horn sheep can water in peace.

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

There are a lot of places to visit out there that are accessible in a stock 4x4. You may need to air down as it can be sandy in areas around Fish Creek. Wind caves are close by with a short hike. The Squeeze and Heart Attack hill would require a more built rig but technically those are one-way trails anyway, so it would mean a long drive around to get to the top and come back down. Diablo Drop off is an interesting trip from Fish Creek. It is usually doable in a stock 4x4 with good ground clearance. There are some tight spots with rocks. The trail varies a lot and I have seen the trail fo from easy to very hard after a rain. A fun 3/4 to full day run could be to Coyote Canyon with the plus that you can get fuel, food and other supplies at Borrego Springs. Coyote Canyon has some water crossings. The rock garden after the last water crossing has been getting easier and easier every yrar. Can't really call it a rock garden anymore. Sheep Canyon and Indian Canyon are the rewards for continuing past the last water crossing and rock garden. High clearance 4x4s are recommended but I have seen low clearance 4x4s out there some years. Coyote Canyon is closed June through Sept so the Big Horn sheep can water in peace.
Well said. There are plenty of places of various difficulty around Anza Borrego and all of it is super cool. I totally forget that there are some people who aren't familiar, as I tend to lead with stuff I can't do (places where you need articulation and low range).

It's crazy how easy Coyote Canyon has become since last year's flood. It is was stock height Subaru-able when I was out there. Diablo Drop-off was also the least rutted I've seen in the last couple years.

Definitely happy desert season is near!

Stephen144

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vista, CA
First Name
STEPHEN
Last Name
KEMPERT
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6TYU
I’m interested in going. Will be my first trip since joining at Expo West this year. I have a stock Chevy Tahoe Z71. Been on a few easy trails out in Anza but excited to try some new ones.

69machguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nunya, USA
First Name
Wally
Last Name
Kunz
Do we reserve campsites online through the CA state system, or did someone say it’s a private parcel at last weeks meetup?

Ch3lland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Helland
Member #

Do we reserve campsites online through the CA state system, or did someone say it’s a private parcel at last weeks meetup?
The primitive sites are first come first serve it looks like. I haven't brought up times yet, but best case scenario for me personally will be 4:30-5:00pm (if not later).

That private parcel deal is another place I believe, I just caught some past stories about it so I'm not 100% sure if anyone is actively planning another trip out there. Maybe it will get planned during this outing!

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

Unfortunately I wasn't there for the meetup so I don't know if Blair Valley was mentioned. Accommodates a lot of vehicles and if you drive far enough in you can avoid the RVs.

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

The Fish Creek campsite is kind of hit of miss depending on the season. If you get there early enough on Friday we should be able to secure some spots, and since the weather is still warm out there we may be alright. Depending on the size of the group that shows up, we could always just go into the wash as take over a big area and make room for extras that show up!
Oh and Chris I hope you don't mind I added a picture to the Rally point for advertising sake :-)

Ch3lland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Helland
Member #

The Fish Creek campsite is kind of hit of miss depending on the season. If you get there early enough on Friday we should be able to secure some spots, and since the weather is still warm out there we may be alright. Depending on the size of the group that shows up, we could always just go into the wash as take over a big area and make room for extras that show up!
Oh and Chris I hope you don't mind I added a picture to the Rally point for advertising sake :-)
Thanks for that! I figured someone probably had a good pic to use.

socal geek guy

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Walker
Member #

has anyone been to the mud palisades? looking on google earth, it may be a decent spot to camp, but i've never been out there and don't know if camping there is allowed. canyon sin nombre is a fairly easy section coming off the s2 and cool driving through the close canyon walls.

WhatTheZo

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

San Diego
Member #

has anyone been to the mud palisades? looking on google earth, it may be a decent spot to camp, but i've never been out there and don't know if camping there is allowed. canyon sin nombre is a fairly easy section coming off the s2 and cool driving through the close canyon walls.
You can camp pretty much anywhere if you're 100 feet away from water and no more than 1 car length from a road or trail. I wouldn't recommend camping there since it can be highly trafficked. You can find plenty of turn outs near by, but be weary of overhangs. Also the 1 car length thing isn't a joke, earlier this year we had rangers come by in the middle of the night just to make sure. Look up the other primitive/dispersed camping rules on the state website.