La Mesa, CA, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kn6ggo
@Ch3lland @Snupee. Thanks for jumping on this as I’m coming into the last few weeks of Crazy work schedule I barley have time for family. Unfortunately I won’t be able to make it out Friday and if I came out if would be after 5 o’clock on Saturday as I have events both days. I’m down for what ever and I’m hoping I can at least make out Saturday night.

hopkillin

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

La Mesa, CA, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kn6ggo
@Snupee. What do you think about coms. Maybe have two meeting spots. Locked down for camping. If spot one if full we go to spot two? So people will know to check spot A first the spot B

Reactions: SpaceGhost

Stephen144

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Vista, CA
First Name
STEPHEN
Last Name
KEMPERT
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6TYU
Is GRMS popular in the SD Overland Bound Community? Tossing around getting a GMRS unit for my rig for this trip.

Last edited:

69machguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Nunya, USA
First Name
Wally
Last Name
Kunz
This is Wally. Like Tucker I’ll arrive SAT as well, probably ~6-7pm. Probably just three of us in my F350. I’ll deploy my Habitat, so a very long footprint. I’ll look FWD to camping area details. Thx all

Ch3lland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Helland
Member #

Karl Strauss seemed quiet enough, but I'm not very familiar with that area in general. I'm downtown but there's not a ton of venues conductive for a meeting... Somewhere with parking would be a better start than anything I could come up with :tearsofjoy:

Ch3lland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Helland
Member #

Is GRMS popular in the SD Overland Bound Community? Tossing around getting a GMRS unit for my rig for this trip.
I think the Overland Bound group overall is really pushing towards HAM. I am planning on pursuing that route at least. I know that may not be doable by this Anza trip... I will be going "old school" and just letting people back home know the itinerary/scheduled contact times. The next trip I will plan on having my license and a starter radio though.

hopkillin

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

La Mesa, CA, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kn6ggo
Karl Strauss seemed quiet enough, but I'm not very familiar with that area in general. I'm downtown but there's not a ton of venues conductive for a meeting... Somewhere with parking would be a better start than anything I could come up with :tearsofjoy:
We can always just do it at bitter brother. Same area as Karl. What time. If we can do 2-3 that would work best as I have to leave my work by 3:30. To pick up kids.

Snupee

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San Diego
Member #

Sorry getting back so late to everyone, just got back yesterday afternoon from a last minute prerun trip to Anza this weeked. I can meet up tonight at around 5:00 at Bitter Bros to discuss the camp spot/s, Comms, meals etc. Sorry I can't make it any earlier unfortunately.

Ch3lland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Helland
Member #

Productive meeting tonight, I'll get details updated on the Rally Point asap (probably tomorrow 10/8).

Rough outline: Friday night we will camp at a slightly different spot near Ocotillo for those able to make it. We will make our way to Fish Creek campsite Saturday and meet up with those planning on doing a 1 day/night outing. We can use the wash area as a plan B in case the actual Fish Creek site is packed - but hopefully we won't be running into any issues.

Saturday morning will be a light review of recovery gear, methods, possibly demonstrations. During the day we will go exploring, dividing up among similar interests and capabilities (or if everyone's up for the same thing, we will all go together).

Sunday is still flexible, there's a tentative plan to catch the sunrise at a cool spot, and then also going through Borrego Springs to see the sculptures. Again we can divide up among similar interests Saturday.

Ch3lland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

First Name
Chris
Last Name
Helland
Member #

Rally Point updated, @MTN RNR @WhatTheZo @hopkillin @Snupee are all admins on the event so feel free to make edits if needed. Everyone else feel free to check out the description and the Rally Point notes. If you have any questions feel free to comment or get in touch with me directly.

My travel plans - I will be leaving from downtown San Diego Friday 10/18 in the afternoon. My goal is to make it to camp #1 by dinner. If anyone has a similar route or timing plans, we can meet up and travel together.

hopkillin

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

La Mesa, CA, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tucker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Kn6ggo
Rally Point updated, @MTN RNR @WhatTheZo @hopkillin @Snupee are all admins on the event so feel free to make edits if needed. Everyone else feel free to check out the description and the Rally Point notes. If you have any questions feel free to comment or get in touch with me directly.

My travel plans - I will be leaving from downtown San Diego Friday 10/18 in the afternoon. My goal is to make it to camp #1 by dinner. If anyone has a similar route or timing plans, we can meet up and travel together.
I’m really trying to make it both days. Just have to see about work. On Saturday hoping I can pass it off. If I don’t get Saturday off I will be heading out around 3 o’clock (I hope) from la Mesa and hope to make day 2 camp before sunset.