Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Pueblo, CO, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I just bought the cheapest tablet I could find with GPS and use it strictly for nav. Its worked out great. Just anything on amazon used in like new condition is what I did LOL
I usually get them from work as staff turn them in for upgrades, I will have to watch for a newer Android and give it a second try. I do like that they are cheaper and have expandable storage!

Reactions: Drifterman

BlueLineOverland

Local Expert, Arkansas USA

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

I usually get them from work as staff turn them in for upgrades, I will have to watch for a newer Android and give it a second try. I do like that they are cheaper and have expandable storage!
I pair mine with an obd2 Bluetooth sender and the torque app as well nav and troubleshooting lol can't beat it.

MonkeyProof

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SoCal-SGV
I've been using a Samsung 7" Tab4 tablet for a number of years with a different navigation app other than Gaia with zero issues. The built in GPS receiver is more than adequate to meet the needs. I can't imagine not having it.
11934639_1135908893104423_1603820444_n(1).jpg
13139280_1171827169495021_1246593720786361102_n.jpg

Edit:
Also having a tablet is very useful for other apps such as Torque..
20170909_163553.jpg

BlueLineOverland

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

JungleSkunk

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I have Gaia and Torque Pro running on a cheap Android 10.1 inch xgody tablet / phablet combined with an OBD2 bluetooth transmitter and have run into zero issues at all. This is a cheap $100 ebay tablet and does not seem to run slow or have trouble running any apps. I also have google earth, an fm radio transmitter, and a few other cool apps that work great. Its not your top of the line $1000 I-pad but it does the job!

It has a built in GPS receiver, sd slot, and dual sim slots for two different 3g cell carriers.

I am really surprised by how cheap it was and its actual performance.

If you want to stay with Samsung the galaxy tab 10.1 32gb version should do just fine.

51685759_781500238900684_7129403956240842752_n.jpg

BlueLineOverland

Experimenter II

Ozark Arkansas
First Name
Mason
Last Name
Berry
Member #

I have Gaia and Torque Pro running on a cheap Android 10.1 inch xgody tablet / phablet combined with an OBD2 bluetooth transmitter and have run into zero issues at all. This is a cheap $100 ebay tablet and does not seem to run slow or have trouble running any apps. I also have google earth, an fm radio transmitter, and a few other cool apps that work great. Its not your top of the line $1000 I-pad but it does the job!

It has a built in GPS receiver, sd slot, and dual sim slots for two different 3g cell carriers.

I am really surprised by how cheap it was and its actual performance.

If you want to stay with Samsung the galaxy tab 10.1 32gb version should do just fine.

View attachment 87429

This is what its all about cheap yet functional!!!!!

Tony_Farson

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

14422 Lasso Drive, Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Farson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7MSQ
The Samsung tablet is as good as any other for this purpose. We don't need a lot of compute to run maps/gps apps, so that is good. I was eyeballing this one before I remembered I had an iPad mini somewhere. Free is good! The key is to make sure the tablet has a dedicated radio for GPS. Some models, especially the WiFi only tablets, slave the GPS to WiFi triangulation and it won't work where there aren't enough WiFi signals to use for triangulation. Apple is notorious for this. I happened to have a 2nd gen LTE iPad Mini that works great with Gaia. Make sure you download the tiles for the areas you'll be exploring off-grid since Gaia (and other map apps use an internet connection to display tiles.

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
I've been looking on Samsung's website at the Galaxy Tab A 10.5", 32GB tablets. They show 3 of them from $280 to $420 and I can't see any differences besides the cheaper one says "wi-fi" most expensive says "Sprint" and the other says "Verizon". Anyone know the differences?

JungleSkunk

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

I've been looking on Samsung's website at the Galaxy Tab A 10.5", 32GB tablets. They show 3 of them from $280 to $420 and I can't see any differences besides the cheaper one says "wi-fi" most expensive says "Sprint" and the other says "Verizon". Anyone know the differences?
Both the wifi and cell carrier versions of the 10.5 Tab A feature GPS and Glonass capabilities according to the specs but doesnt say what type of sensor it has. Unless you need cellular capabilities I would go with the wifi model as it is significantly cheaper.

The only difference is that they are "Unlocked" to work with specific cell phone companies.

Calling Samsung and explaining what you are looking for couldnt hurt.

$400+ for a tablet is a little out of my budget.

Ron W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Herriman, UT, USA
First Name
Ron
Last Name
Wilkinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRQT933
Service Branch
US Navy
Both the wifi and cell carrier versions of the 10.5 Tab A feature GPS and Glonass capabilities according to the specs but doesnt say what type of sensor it has. Unless you need cellular capabilities I would go with the wifi model as it is significantly cheaper.

The only difference is that they are "Unlocked" to work with specific cell phone companies.
I don't need the cell phone service because I have to use AT&T to get reception at work. Thanks.

Last edited: