Samsung tablet for Gaia ?

• HTML tutorial

Boots

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Central New Jersey
Member #

Ok all, I am as dumb as a brick when it comes to using a tablet for onboard Navigation. At this time I am using a Jeep Trail Guide for Nav it's made by Garmin (it can also be used as a handheld). It works great and also has topo, but the screen size is way to small. Looking at picking up a Samsung model tablet and using Gaia. What would the best Samsung model to pick-up for this use ? I really like to stay with Samsung because I can buy any Samsung Phone, Tablet, or Laptop at 15% above cost......

Last edited:

Boots

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Central New Jersey
Member #

Also, am i going to need a external ant. or anything like that to pick up Sat signals with the Samsung ? This is going into my 08 Jeep Wrangler......

Last edited:
Reactions: Hank Outdoors

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

I was running an old Galaxy Tab 10.1" for Gaia in my FJ. I loved it but it was pretty old. The Sat worked great on it and never had any issues and never needed an external ant. I switched to new Android model which is much faster but not as nice as the Samsung...I may switch back. LOL

Reactions: Drifterman

RedBeard

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Vallejo, CA, USA
Member #

I have a Samsung Tab 8.0 currently in my rig. The only issue I've had with Gaia has been downloading maps. Not sure if it's an Android only issue, but both my Samsung tablet and phone have download issues. When I attempt to download maps, each tile takes forever and downloading a 100MB map will literally take overnight... assuming the download doesn't fail.

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

I have a Samsung Tab 8.0 currently in my rig. The only issue I've had with Gaia has been downloading maps. Not sure if it's an Android only issue, but both my Samsung tablet and phone have download issues. When I attempt to download maps, each tile takes forever and downloading a 100MB map will literally take overnight... assuming the download doesn't fail.
They take a while on iPhones too...

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2017) no cellular. Was cheaper by a bit to go with the lower storage (had a micro sd to expand storage) and no cellular. If I need to download or connect to internet on the go I turn on the hotspot on my phone and connect to that. Then I don't need to have a data plan for the tablet. GPS seems to work the same on this as other tablets I've used.

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

I have the Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2017) no cellular. Was cheaper by a bit to go with the lower storage (had a micro sd to expand storage) and no cellular. If I need to download or connect to internet on the go I turn on the hotspot on my phone and connect to that. Then I don't need to have a data plan for the tablet. GPS seems to work the same on this as other tablets I've used.
I do the same with the hotspot.

Boots

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Central New Jersey
Member #

Chris and Hank, your about to see how dumb I am on this stuff. When you say, you need to hook up to a "Hot Spot" does that mean you would use your 4G on your phone for internet, then run some sort of cable (maybe a usb or something) from your phone to your tablet ? And would you do this in real time, or download info from the internet to your phone first and then transfer the info via cable to your tablet ?

The Samsung tablet I was looking at is a new (refurbished) Samsung S2 with 64GB, Wi-Fi, 9.7" Screen. Processor speed is 1.9 gigahertz, GPS Enabled, Bluetooth Enabled, Expandable Memory SD, Adobe Flash Compatable, and System Memory (Ram) is 3 gigabytes..... My cost on this s2 would be $126

Last edited:

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Chris and Hank, your about to see how dumb I am on this stuff. When you say, you need to hook up to a "Hot Spot" does that mean you would use your 4G on your phone for internet, then run some sort of cable (maybe a usb or something) from your phone to your tablet ? And would you do this in real time, or download info from the internet to your phone first and then transfer the info via cable to your tablet ?

The Samsung tablet I was looking at is a new (refurbished) Samsung S2 with 64GB, Wi-Fi, 9.7" Screen. Processor speed is 1.9 gigahertz, GPS Enabled, Bluetooth Enabled, Expandable Memory SD, Adobe Flash Compatable, and System Memory (Ram) is 3 gigabytes..... My cost on this s2 would be $126
I can set up a WiFi hostspot on my phone. Then I just connect to that hotspot (wifi signal) with my tablet like I would if I was at home. no cable required. The phone uses the cell network to offer interent connection.

Boots

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Central New Jersey
Member #

I can set up a WiFi hostspot on my phone. Then I just connect to that hotspot (wifi signal) with my tablet like I would if I was at home. no cable required. The phone uses the cell network to offer interent connection.
Ok, I think I understand better. It's like when I am out on my Harley and I get a phone call on my phone it will come through my Nav screen saying I have a call, no cables... One is talking to the other. I think it's called Bluetooth.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Ok, I think I understand better. It's like when I am out on my Harley and I get a phone call on my phone it will come through my Nav screen saying I have a call, no cables... One is talking to the other. I think it's called Bluetooth.
similar, yes. do you have a router at home, that gives off a wireless signal you connect to with your devices so they can access the internet? It's that exact thing except your cell phone is acting as the router, and your tablet is connecting to the internet via that connection.

Boots

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Central New Jersey
Member #

similar, yes. do you have a router at home, that gives off a wireless signal you connect to with your devices so they can access the internet? It's that exact thing except your cell phone is acting as the router, and your tablet is connecting to the internet via that connection.
yes I do Chris, I believe I am starting to understand how this works. So their is no need for a data plan for the tablet then. It's basically that the tablet is a big GPS unit. Now for the next question, for the most part it would be best to load up any maps that may be needed before starting on my trip ? In other words, If we are headed out to Moab, UT. for Jeep Safari I could download my route out with any sidesteps we may have planned, and then also download any trails we are doing while their. Then if their would be any changes in either routes I could create a "Hot Spot" with my phone and make any necessary changes to my Gaia maps at that time...

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

yes I do Chris, I believe I am starting to understand how this works. So their is no need for a data plan for the tablet then. It's basically that the tablet is a big GPS unit. Now for the next question, for the most part it would be best to load up any maps that may be needed before starting on my trip ? In other words, If we are headed out to Moab, UT. for Jeep Safari I could download my route out with any sidesteps we may have planned, and then also download any trails we are doing while their. Then if their would be any changes in either routes I could create a "Hot Spot" with my phone and make any necessary changes to my Gaia maps at that time...
There are a couple limiting factors to using your phone as a hot spot. Your phone needs to be able to offer a hot spot. And your data plan has to have hot spot / tethering enabled. Some plans don't allow it.
Yes, to your other thought. You want to have the map tiles downloaded in advance. They download pretty slow over anything less than LTE.

Boots

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Central New Jersey
Member #

There are a couple limiting factors to using your phone as a hot spot. Your phone needs to be able to offer a hot spot. And your data plan has to have hot spot / tethering enabled. Some plans don't allow it.
Yes, to your other thought. You want to have the map tiles downloaded in advance. They download pretty slow over anything less than LTE.
Ok Chris, thanks for all the information and patience. I will check on my phone plan and see if tethering is possible... I get my Samsung stuff from my son's employer, he said i should see it by the end of next week. Next will be a mounting system and getting set-up with Gaia....

Jibs

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Reno
First Name
Jibs
Last Name
Lundemo
Member #

What size memory card do you recommend for storing offline maps? I'm out of town a lot and I'd like to have enough memory to cover a decent area at a time. Thanks!

flash_gordon

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Pueblo, CO, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I was running an old Galaxy Tab 10.1" for Gaia in my FJ. I loved it but it was pretty old. The Sat worked great on it and never had any issues and never needed an external ant. I switched to new Android model which is much faster but not as nice as the Samsung...I may switch back. LOL
I tried it on an Android as I had on sitting around but the screen would not rotate properly... I tried and tried to get it to work?

flash_gordon

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Pueblo, CO, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Screen would rotate correctly on all apps or just gaia?
Just the Gaia; it was an old Tab though. I ended up with an iPad Mini 16GB. I may try a new Android again if I find the mini running out of space. It's good to know that Android does rotate for everyone else.