First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Your vehicle may feel the altitude.

My four-cylinder TJ and trailer (and I) drove east across Colorado in 2019 on I-70. On a good day (sea level) loaded with some gear and pulling the trailer, the TJ's power can be described as "adequate" at best. Once you start gaining elevation, the combo starts feeling it. I'm generally good up to about 5,000 feet, then it starts to suck. When I was on I-70, once I was up into the 8-9-10-11-thousand foot level, I was in the right lane winding it out in second gear doing all I could going uphill to maintain about 25 mph with my flashers going hoping nobody was going to rear-end me. I'm not so worried about the off-pavement sections at elevation - if there's highway and highway speeds are expected and we're way up there in elevation... let's just say we'll have plenty of time to enjoy the scenery. But isn't that what we're wanting to do anyways?

But don't let an "adequately powered at best" vehicle scare you from doing the TAT. We'll start together, and finish together.

Your body may not feel the elevation too much until you start exerting yourself - then you'll feel it quickly.

drive.14.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Neal A. Tew

DEADBEEF

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Upstate South Carolina, SC, USA
First Name
Michele
Last Name
Lary
Since you are driving out vs flying you'll have some time to acclimatize. I'm originally from L.A. (Lower Alabama) and have driven flat out and run the high elevation trails before. The only issues I recall are being slightly winded at elevation and having headaches. Be sure to stay hydrated and that will help with the headaches. You are not likely to notice any issues with a computer controlled vehicle.

Does anyone have the Shadow of the Rockies track so we can see which high elevation passes it takes?
Duly noted, stay hydrated at elevation to avoid the headaches. Thanks, trying to plan ahead for the various environments we will encounter along the way. And knowing it’s the Rockies vs the Appalachians, we will prepare accordingly.

We have not ordered the TAT maps yet, so I have not perused for the various high elevation areas we will encounter, but one pass that was mentioned is Tin Cup Pass (near Buena Vista, CO I believe) which looked like ~12,000 feet at the Continental Divide. Phew I am dizzy already hehe.

DEADBEEF

Rank II

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michele
Last Name
Lary
Your vehicle may feel the altitude.

My four-cylinder TJ and trailer (and I) drove west across Colorado in 2019 on I-70. On a good day (sea level) loaded with some gear and pulling the trailer, the TJ's power can be described as "adequate" at best. Once you start gaining elevation, the combo starts feeling it. I'm generally good up to about 5,000 feet, then it starts to suck. When I was on I-70, once I was up into the 8-9-10-11-thousand foot level, I was in the right lane winding it out in second gear doing all I could to maintain about 25 mph with my flashers going. hoping nobody was going to rear-end me. I'm not so worried about the off-pavement sections at elevation - if there's highway and highway speeds are expected and we're way up there in elevation... let's just say we'll have plenty of time to enjoy the scenery. But isn't that what we're wanting to do anyways?

But don't let an "adequately powered at best" vehicle scare you from doing the TAT. We'll start together, and finish together.

Your body may not feel the elevation too much until you start exerting yourself - then you'll feel it quickly.

View attachment 186014
Good to know...we have not been at higher elevation with our LexOR yet, either off-road or on-pavement. So I am not sure how she will perform or if there is any difference. From your experience it sounds like we may see some degradation in power. We will keep it in mind and drive accordingly, with lots of chances to ohhh and ahhh along the way.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Duly noted, stay hydrated at elevation to avoid the headaches. Thanks, trying to plan ahead for the various environments we will encounter along the way. And knowing it’s the Rockies vs the Appalachians, we will prepare accordingly.

We have not ordered the TAT maps yet, so I have not perused for the various high elevation areas we will encounter, but one pass that was mentioned is Tin Cup Pass (near Buena Vista, CO I believe) which looked like ~12,000 feet at the Continental Divide. Phew I am dizzy already hehe.
Yes, Tincup Pass is 12K+. You probably won't notice the thin air that much unless you take a hike. Also, it doesn't seem as high as many because it doesn't have the sweeping vistas like the ones you would encounter if you stayed on the main TAT route instead of the Shadow.

And technically, yes, your engine will lose about 3% of power for every 1000' gained. This would be most noticeable if climbing the continental divide on the highway, but climbing Tincup in low range probably not much if at all.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I mostly felt it while climbing in the higher elevations trying to maintain highway speeds. Once I was "level" it wasn't so bad.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Yes, Tincup Pass is 12K+. You probably won't notice the thin air that much unless you take a hike. Also, it doesn't seem as high as many because it doesn't have the sweeping vistas like the ones you would encounter if you stayed on the main TAT route instead of the Shadow.

And technically, yes, your engine will lose about 3% of power for every 1000' gained. This would be most noticeable if climbing the continental divide on the highway, but climbing Tincup in low range probably not much if at all.
Oh, and speaking of Tincup, I suspect it may be the rockiest section of your whole trip. Be sure to notice when you read about it that it has a harder original section and a newer easier bypass that gets you around the worst of it. Also, there are some really good campsites on the east side of the pass. I don't remember much on the west.

I led a group of about 14 over it last year. I included some photos below. If all goes to plan I'll be with you guys at this point. 1612141337168.png

1612141368375.png1612141513226.png1612141583489.png1612141610589.png

Slack

Rank III

Member III

3656 Carnes Avenue, Memphis, Tennessee 38111, United States
First Name
Danny
Last Name
Lack
Member #

I am planning to do tat with yall live in Memphis Tn.Looking at route on your map the group looks like it is crossing Mississippi River here so that's where I intend to join up if ok.Got some stuff to order for my 4runner orp 2018.low pro c4 winch bumper have a old warn winch probably needs to be redone old one dad got in late 60s to put on 1948 Willis hunting vehicle.If it works will put synthetic rope on and new controls run by wire now or inside truck.Got to start looking for the parts winch is down at a buddy's house where my overflow goes keeping wife happy".I know all you married guys what I am talking about.Enough said looking forward to it.

DEADBEEF

Rank II

Enthusiast III

First Name
Michele
Last Name
Lary
Oh, and speaking of Tincup, I suspect it may be the rockiest section of your whole trip. Be sure to notice when you read about it that it has a harder original section and a newer easier bypass that gets you around the worst of it. Also, there are some really good campsites on the east side of the pass. I don't remember much on the west.

I led a group of about 14 over it last year. I included some photos below. If all goes to plan I'll be with you guys at this point. View attachment 186028

View attachment 186029View attachment 186032View attachment 186033View attachment 186034
Awesome pics, Colorado landscape is quite interesting. The route looks yeah a bit rocky but that’s the fun part picking a passable line through. Thanks for sharing I’m glad we have some local knowledgable folks along for the ride.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
So we're just a little over four months out from our departure date. It'll get here fast.

What modifications have you been doing to your vehicles to get it ready for the trip?

I got a RAM mount for my TJ so I can have my 10" iPad close by. If all works right, I'll have my phone on the dash (with GAIA) zoomed-in showing a small area in greater detail, and I'll have the iPad (with GAIA) zoomed-out showing a much larger area view.

Ram.15.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Solo Saga

Zombie

Local Expert Virginia, USA
Investor

Advocate III

Richmond, VA USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4ZTU
Hi everyone. I just stumbled upon this rally point and after asking the boss if I could go, I RSVP'd. My first vehicle was a 1989 4Runner that I added a soft top from JC Whitney to. Then lots of life. Now at 55 I've come full circle. I just imported my second JDM vehicle, a 1994 70 series diesel LandCruiser. (1st was the Mitsubishi Delica L300) I'm currently building the LC up with ARB front and rear bumpers, OME suspension and lift. Currently running new 31" Nokian ATs, which I have to say I'm very impressed with.
I've been overlanding since 2018. My longest trip was a solo from Richmond, VA (home) to Savannah, GA, to Cedar Key, FL to meet some OB members in a swamp, to Sarasota, FL.
I've always been an outdoors person, triathlete, cycling, camping. Now my body doesn't take the abuse like it used to and I've discovered overlanding.
I sold my investment management business in 2018 (retired or unemployed, you choose. Thanks COVID!) so I have the time for a trip like this. I'm looking forward to meeting like-minded people and contributing to the trip in some way.
This past year I got my Ham license and upgraded to General class, KN4ZTU. I also have my GMRS license. And I received my concealed carry permit.
This fall, my wife and I are planning a trip across the southern part of the US and down into Baja.
Thanks for organizing this trip @armyRN !

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Hi everyone. I just stumbled upon this rally point and after asking the boss if I could go, I RSVP'd. My first vehicle was a 1989 4Runner that I added a soft top from JC Whitney to. Then lots of life. Now at 55 I've come full circle. I just imported my second JDM vehicle, a 1994 70 series diesel LandCruiser. (1st was the Mitsubishi Delica L300) I'm currently building the LC up with ARB front and rear bumpers, OME suspension and lift. Currently running new 31" Nokian ATs, which I have to say I'm very impressed with.
I've been overlanding since 2018. My longest trip was a solo from Richmond, VA (home) to Savannah, GA, to Cedar Key, FL to meet some OB members in a swamp, to Sarasota, FL.
I've always been an outdoors person, triathlete, cycling, camping. Now my body doesn't take the abuse like it used to and I've discovered overlanding.
I sold my investment management business in 2018 (retired or unemployed, you choose. Thanks COVID!) so I have the time for a trip like this. I'm looking forward to meeting like-minded people and contributing to the trip in some way.
This past year I got my Ham license and upgraded to General class, KN4ZTU. I also have my GMRS license. And I received my concealed carry permit.
This fall, my wife and I are planning a trip across the southern part of the US and down into Baja.
Thanks for organizing this trip @armyRN !
Welcome Tom, this is going to be an awesome adventure.

Darunner

Rank V

Advocate I

Orlando
First Name
Jehad
Last Name
Hannoush
Member #

Looking at the TAT map route, I see that we going to be very close to “Jack Daniel Distillery “ !!
Can we Please Please reroute and stop by so I can have my supplies for the reset of the trip ! :-)

Attachments

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Looking at the TAT map route, I see that we going to be very close to “Jack Daniel Distillery “ !!
Can we Please Please reroute and stop by so I can have my supplies for the reset of the trip ! :-)
I grew up in Tennessee and back in the old days they would give samples when you went on the distillery tour, unfortunately they don’t do that any more. The last time I was there, the gift shop sold “collectible bottles” which happened to have this caramel colored liquid in them, but you couldn’t’ buy any whiskey. That has been quite a few years ago so I am not sure what the status is nowadays. That would be fun to tour the distillery again.

Darunner

Rank V

Advocate I

Orlando
First Name
Jehad
Last Name
Hannoush
Member #

Tim ... you scared me !! LOL
I just called them and they have the tour opens up back again . I just wanted to buy a bottle of their products and have it engraved at their shop
“TAT 2021” to commemorate our trip .
Of course if it’s not doable then no big deal .

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
Tim ... you scared me !! LOL
I just called them and they have the tour opens up back again . I just wanted to buy a bottle of their products and have it engraved at their shop
“TAT 2021” to commemorate our trip .
Of course if it’s not doable then no big deal .
‘Maybe if we had enough interest they could make a bunch of them....

Darunner

Rank V

Advocate I

Orlando
First Name
Jehad
Last Name
Hannoush
Member #

Actually you can engrave anything you buy from their shop , last time I was there (2014) I engraved my name and my kids name each on a “Gentleman Jack” bottles and they’re still sealed .

Attachments

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Seems like that should be doable. How many miles is it off the TAT?