Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Some folks might be new to overlanding, or to extended overlanding. They might be wondering "What should I pack; what should I bring; how much should I bring?".

Everyone's needs and situations and priorities will be different, and vehicle space also comes into play. But there are some universal themes that everyone has to eventually address.

I found this article below by Adventure Taco (AT) on their site (interesting site to look around in if you're interested), and thought it was pretty good at covering or addressing the bases to get the conversation started:

Link: Gear Roundup – What I Take With Me On Trips (2019 edition) – ADVENTURETACO

I know I am guilty of packing too many clothes and shoes, too much kitchen stuff (I've been working on that one), probably too much food, and probably not enough of other stuff. I'll be tweaking my basic load before the TAT after reading this article. (Oh wait; I do that before every adventure based on my last adventure).

Don't take this article as the final word; just use it to get you thinking about what you're bringing. Make it work for you - after reading it you might go "Oh... I hadn't thought about that". For example, I don't care for AT's camp chair choice - I'm going for full-size comfort in a chair that I can also use at a table - I'll make room for it. But I do like AT's comments about paper plates (I'll be bringing some on my next adventure). AT brings a lot more spare parts than I do, but he does wisely mention bringing a spare U-joint. But I wouldn't go cheap on a tire plug kit as AT suggests if you decide to get one.

Anyways; feel free to comment on the article or ask questions about what bring or not to bring (AT does mention some of the vehicle required stuff which I already covered in one of the first few posts earlier).

Last edited:

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Nice article Paul, there were several items I had not thought about. It definitely gives you more to think about for sure.

No_Pavement_Pls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SE Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Lampmann
Member #

Hello to all, I just signed up for the TAT trip. I had this on my bucket list for this year so it was fantastic that we can across this on the forum.
My name is Pete and my wife (Mary) will be accompanying me. We're both new to Overlanding and looking forward to the trip.
I'll be taking my 2018 Jeep JL Rubicon. It's lifted, 37" m/t tires, warn winch, on board air. Working out some other ideas as well for the trip and planning a few weekend shake down runs before the TAT trip.

Attachments

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Hello to all, I just signed up for the TAT trip. I had this on my bucket list for this year so it was fantastic that we can across this on the forum.
My name is Pete and my wife (Mary) will be accompanying me. We're both new to Overlanding and looking forward to the trip.
I'll be taking my 2018 Jeep JL Rubicon. It's lifted, 37" m/t tires, warn winch, on board air. Working out some other ideas as well for the trip and planning a few weekend shake down runs before the TAT trip.
Welcome! Nice looking Jeep (I love the color). I bet you'll be wanting to take the top off during parts of the trip to get the full outdoor effect. It'll be a grand time. Are you planning on doing the whole WV to OR coast trip?

Let us know if you have any questions.

No_Pavement_Pls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SE Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Lampmann
Member #

Welcome! Nice looking Jeep (I love the color). I bet you'll be wanting to take the top off during parts of the trip to get the full outdoor effect. It'll be a grand time. Are you planning on doing the whole WV to OR coast trip?

Let us know if you have any questions.
I'm planning on making it the entire trip. My wife not to sure but we'll work that out.
I'm sure I'll have some questions but nothing at the moment.

Yes its a great color! Always looks alittle different in various lighting.

I have a rack planned for the jeep so I may just run in safari mode.

Reactions: DevilDodge

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Welcome Pete and Mary, this is going to be an exciting adventure.

Darunner

Rank V

Advocate I

Orlando
First Name
Jehad
Last Name
Hannoush
Member #

Our Number is growing nicely , welcome to all the new people that just signed up . We have a good crew a RN , Paramedic , veterans and a communication expert I feel already safe now we need a mechanic and a Cheff :tonguewink: did I miss a specialty that is needed for this trip ?
I can’t wait to be on the trail ...

Last edited:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Our Number is growing nicely , welcome to all the new people that just signed up . We have a good crew a RN , Paramedic , veterans and a communication expert I feel already safe now we need a mechanic and a Cheff :tonguewink: did I miss a specialty that is needed for this trip ?
I can’t wait to be on the trail ...
Another specialty... what would be nice is if someone who's doing the whole trip... would like to record it somehow. I'm hoping folks doing the TAT will post highlights and such on this thread as we're traveling, but if someone is into doing YouTube videos or wants to blog the whole thing so others interested in doing the TAT would know what to expect, that would be nice. Might give a creative passenger or two something to do besides enjoying the ride. Make us famous! Put one of your drones in the air and take an overhead shot of us traveling as part of it.

I'm going to try and journal the trip - keep a written record of it. I'll try and do an entry daily.

I'll have tools, and am a little bit of a shade-tree mechanic.

Last edited:

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Paul, I plan on taking tons of pictures with my Sony dslr and I am planning on filming with my GoPro. So I would be happy to share the experience when we return, it is possible that at some point along the way we will at least have either a wi-fi or cell signal that we may post some updates for our members who were not able join us to see. We will have to play that by ear. I don’t have a drone, that is something on my bucket list I wish I had for this trip, they add an awesome view of the area and the vastness of this land. Having a drone increases your documentary level immensely. You can shoot scenes with a drone that make mere photographs seem insignificant.

Last edited:

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Is there anyone in this group going on the TAT that DOES NOT have a rapid deflator right now. I some how managed to order 2 ARB rapid deflators from Amazon and I only need 1

Reactions: Kent R

Darunner

Rank V

Advocate I

Orlando
First Name
Jehad
Last Name
Hannoush
Member #

I have a drone the “DJI Matic mini “it’s not the professional grade but it does take some decent footage that we can use , also I do have a go pro and a dash cam . So we can collect and select what pic we will post .
I have installed the we boost antenna on my truck to maximize the cell signal so I hope that will keep us connected.

Attachments

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I made my semi-annual pilgrimage to Cabela's today. Got a few things accomplished:

1. Got the GAIA app on my android phone to show elevation and speed as I'm driving. It wasn't necessarily intuitive, but I had emailed GAIA a question, and they sent a response.

Link: Change Visible Stats in the Android app – Gaia GPS

2. Picked up another solar light for the trip. I've found there's basically two types used by Overlanders (lights that collapse to take up minimal space anyways...): an inflatable one by LUCI (on the left), and an accordion style made by Goal Zero (on the right).

I've had the LUCI light (inflatable light) for a couple years now, and have been very happy with it (you can see it has gotten a little dirty from use). We call it the "Marshmallow Light", because that's what it looks like when inflated and lit up. It has two brightness settings, and a flashing setting. I've used it on multiple long-distance & country crisscrossing trips. During the day I deflate it and toss it on the dash to recharge in the sunlight. I've hung it up on the Jeep's liftgate to cook by at night and it put out plenty of light. The vinyl seems pretty sturdy - I've never worried about it getting a hole in it. Finding the "On" button is sometimes a little difficult in the dark. Figure about $20 for this light. I would set this light on the trailer lid to use as a beacon to find my way back to the Jeep & trailer in the dark. If it is very windy out you might need to find a way to secure it in place (not difficult) so it doesn't blow away - there is a strap on the top of the light. Some of the newer LUCI lights may have a way to use the solar battery to charge your phone with a USB cord.

A year or so ago I bought my parents (they're in FL - they seem to lose electricity there a lot) one of the Goal Zero crush lights. It also works nice. The one I bought today comes with a short USB cord you can use to charge it if you needed to (I don't remember Mom's coming with a cord). I guess that's nice(?). It has three brightness settings, and a "candle flicker" setting (mood lighting?). You could also toss this one on the dash after you collapsed it to allow it to charge during the day. The "On" button on this one seems like it would be easier to find in the dark. Figure about $25 for this light. It is also open on the bottom when expanded. They have one for a few dollars more that has different colored light options if that idea appeals to you.

They both collapse pretty flat, and both will work in their collapsed positions.

Between these and head lamps, I've found I'm not using my big Coleman propane lantern. I haven't brought the Coleman lantern on my last few trips, and haven't missed it.

3. Also picked up some warm socks and a box of 45 ACP ammo (because they actually had some on the shelf), and managed to not buy a rifle (they had a TNW Aero Survival rifle in 9mm - if they'd had it in 10mm I'd have bought it... not that I need it).

Solar lights.1.jpg
Solar lights.2.jpg

Solar lights.3.jpg

Solar lights.4.jpg

Last edited:

DEADBEEF

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Upstate South Carolina, SC, USA
First Name
Michele
Last Name
Lary
You guys have been busy lots of good suggestions for gear ideas to take and to leave at home.

Welcome to the new travelers; we are also overlander newbies husband/wife team.

I am currently researching off road driving classes to take to get started in the right direction. I know there is more to it than gas go, brakes stop.:blush:

I saw one post mentioning the NorthEast Off Road guys located in Ellenville NY. I spoke to them the other day but wanted other suggestions the group may have; he seemed a little $$ for rig+driver+passenger for 1 day. We don’t mind traveling to the class but we are on the East Coast so easier if it was closer to home.

Thanks...

DEADBEEF

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Upstate South Carolina, SC, USA
First Name
Michele
Last Name
Lary
Now those are TIRES. You gotta use all caps when mentioning 37s. I feel like a midget lost in the land of the giant trucks. Welcome and Love the tires. SE Pa we just finished up working in Lansdale area, your neck of woods perhaps.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
You guys have been busy lots of good suggestions for gear ideas to take and to leave at home.

Welcome to the new travelers; we are also overlander newbies husband/wife team.

I am currently researching off road driving classes to take to get started in the right direction. I know there is more to it than gas go, brakes stop.:blush:

I saw one post mentioning the NorthEast Off Road guys located in Ellenville NY. I spoke to them the other day but wanted other suggestions the group may have; he seemed a little $$ for rig+driver+passenger for 1 day. We don’t mind traveling to the class but we are on the East Coast so easier if it was closer to home.

Thanks...
You're welcome. Just tryin' to help out.

Smart move to do a little research up-front on driving skills.

Before you spend money on a class, read this short book (80 short pages) linked below, written by Mark Smith:

Book Link: cca77024ba.pdf (jeepjamboreeusa.com)

Mark Smith is a legend in the Jeeping/Off-Road world (at the end of the book it talks about him). But the principles in this book (full text linked above) applies to all vehicles taken off pavement. Some things he mentions in the book though (like starting the vehicle in gear) won't work if your vehicle won't allow it. On some Jeeps you can easily disconnect the clutch interlock - don't know about the Toyotas. It has been a while since I've read the book - I should probably reread it just to refresh myself. Probably everyone (from novice to expert) planning on doing the TAT should read this book before we hit the trail.

I've attended a few Jeep Jamborees in the past, and have been part of the official Jamboree crew a time or two. They're fun, but expensive. But if you want to wheel in a part of the country you've never been to, it is a good way to get an introduction to a new place with experienced guides.

Sometimes local four wheel drive organizations will put on driving classes. This might help you get started:

Link: Home - United Four Wheel Drive Associations Inc. (united4wd.org)

If you're in S.C., consider joining the Southern Four Wheel Drive Association - they might put on some off-road driving clinics.

Link: Southern Four Wheel Drive Association - SFWDA.org Southern Four Wheel Drive Association

When I was stationed in the south, I always enjoyed their Trailfest and Dixie Run events, and was a member of SFWDA.

Mark Smith's driving book.PNG

Last edited:
Reactions: DevilDodge

No_Pavement_Pls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SE Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Lampmann
Member #

Now those are TIRES. You gotta use all caps when mentioning 37s. I feel like a midget lost in the land of the giant trucks. Welcome and Love the tires. SE Pa we just finished up working in Lansdale area, your neck of woods perhaps.
Thank you, the original jeep tires just looked odd when the lift was added. Yes, Lansdale is 20 minutes from my location.

No_Pavement_Pls

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SE Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Lampmann
Member #

Some great articles to read up on gear / what to pack and driving techniques.
Ordered the TAT maps and decals.
Question for those that are running the GAIA app. Are you running the basic or premium?
I was watching a video from Lifestyle Overland on GAIA and he has a coupon code for up to 50% off when you sign up. FYI code (www.gaia.com/lifestyleoverland)

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

I bought the premium, the free version sets limits on what you can and can’t do, if I’m out in the middle of no where, I want to be able to utilize GAIA to it’s fullest capability. plus if you look around there are tons of discount codes available some I have seen are for more than 50% off.