Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Sounds like a plan, and a worthwhile side-trip. Ok Darunner - your job will be to keep track of where we are in relation to the distillery as we travel the TAT (especially as we get to within a day-or-two of it). Any camping close-by the distillery?

Does anyone know how to make the waypoints be labeled on the map on GAIA (with text)? I can click on the waypoint and the column to the left of the map appears with a description, but it would be nice if they were labeled on the map when you get to a certain range of view on the map.

Jack Daniels waypoint.PNG

Darunner

Rank V

Advocate I

Orlando
First Name
Jehad
Last Name
Hannoush
Member #

Quick search for camp site , I found Tims Ford state park . But it requires a reservation so we have to see and work with timing and it’s 17 minutes from Jack Daniel

Attachments

Reactions: DevilDodge

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Sounds like a plan, and a worthwhile side-trip. Ok Darunner - your job will be to keep track of where we are in relation to the distillery as we travel the TAT (especially as we get to within a day-or-two of it). Any camping close-by the distillery?

Does anyone know how to make the waypoints be labeled on the map on GAIA (with text)? I can click on the waypoint and the column to the left of the map appears with a description, but it would be nice if they were labeled on the map when you get to a certain range of view on the map.

View attachment 186968
If you click on a waypoint you should be able to edit it and name it anything you want. Here is one of mine.97E3F126-2FDD-45E5-B6A8-2A4AF83DBF79.png

Reactions: DevilDodge

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I can click on mine and I get a column that shows up on the left hand side with all the info about the waypoint. I was just wondering if all the waypoints could have a tag already on them saying what they were on the map. So I wouldn't have to click on each waypoint to see what they were. Would be nice while driving and looking for the next upcoming campground to not have to click on each waypoint.

I'm still learning the finer points of this GAIA format.

Reactions: Zombie

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
So I'm learning stuff. I've learned my gen-7 iPad is a "Wi-Fi only" iPad. Some iPads are just Wi-Fi; others have Wi-Fi and cellular ability (which cellular ability essentially means your iPad can accept GPS signals). Which means pretty much once I'm out of the house with mine, I can't use GAIA on it (it won't pick up a signal).

That is... unless I get an external GPS antenna with bluetooth. Then all is well. So I'm looking at a couple now. Figure around $100 +/- for a unit. Links for possibilities:

Dual XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver (gpscity.com) (which I'm leaning towards)

Dual XGPS160 SkyPro GPS Receiver (gpscity.com)

Garmin GLO 2 (gpscity.com)

So if you're like me and wanting to take your iPad on the TAT to follow Sam's maps (iPad has a much larger screen than your phone does), check to see if your iPad is cellular capable. If it isn't, you'll need an external GPS antenna. And actually, with the separate bluetooth GPS antenna, my iPad will probably pull in signals better than the same iPad with the cellular ability.

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

So I'm learning stuff. I've learned my gen-7 iPad is a "Wi-Fi only" iPad. Some iPads are just Wi-Fi; others have Wi-Fi and cellular ability (which cellular ability essentially means your iPad can accept GPS signals). Which means pretty much once I'm out of the house with mine, I can't use GAIA on it (it won't pick up a signal).

That is... unless I get an external GPS antenna with bluetooth. Then all is well. So I'm looking at a couple now. Figure around $100 +/- for a unit. Links for possibilities:

Dual XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver (gpscity.com) (which I'm leaning towards)

So if you're like me and wanting to take your iPad on the TAT to follow Sam's maps (iPad has a much larger screen than your phone does), check to see if your iPad is cellular capable. If it isn't, you'll need an external GPS antenna. And actually, with the separate bluetooth GPS antenna, my iPad will probably pull in signals better than the same iPad with the cellular ability.
i purposely bought the wi-fi + cellular for the gps capability for navigation, even though it was a bit more up front.

Darunner

Rank V

Advocate I

Orlando
First Name
Jehad
Last Name
Hannoush
Member #

Well , even if you have the cells IPad , some area don’t have a good coverage so don’t rely on this only.
You can download the route to your I pad and save it , because you can use Gaia offline . It will be a long process,
Or
Buy a stand alone gps device that have Bluetooth and link it to IPad , and even with that You have to try it to make sure it’s routing you properly .

Darunner

Rank V

Advocate I

Orlando
First Name
Jehad
Last Name
Hannoush
Member #

Keep in mind that in area with Heavy foliage and tree , it will be hard to acquire a good satellite signal , so having the map downloaded on the iPad as a backup will help .
I did a quick search on Amazon for the item you listed
See attached pic for the mail difference between the 150 and 160
Manly the 160 and the Garmin both support 2 satellite system GPS and GLONASS (see explanation from Garmin website ) beside that the 160 support multiple device up to 5 like IPad + IPhone + .....

Attachments

Reactions: Solo Saga

Darunner

Rank V

Advocate I

Orlando
First Name
Jehad
Last Name
Hannoush
Member #

By the way , I found the 150 on Amazon for $52 dollar with free delivery and free return (open box) , so I ordered it and it will be here on the 13 , I will test it and report back

Attachments

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
By the way , I found the 150 on Amazon for $52 dollar with free delivery and free return (open box) , so I ordered it and it will be here on the 13 , I will test it and report back
I'm definitely interested to hear what you think of the 150A GPS Bluetooth device. That's the one I'm leaning towards. The 160 almost seems like too much (unless you're a pilot and are using it in your plane). The 150A I think I could just strap it to the roll-bar (with some padding underneath) and drop the power wire down to the 12-volt accessory outlet I have mounted in the back of the Jeep at the base of the roll-bar.

My wife bought me the iPad for my birthday in July (the big six-oh). The thought of Wi-Fi only vs. Wi-Fi plus cellular was nothing she nor I would have thought of when making the purchase. And it was almost an afterthought to bring this iPad on the TAT trip. Having done trips using just the phone as my GPS device (with a mount for it on the dash), I figured out real quick it would be nice having a much larger screen in front of me. I would recommend to everyone to have a mount of some kind for your phone if you're going to use it as your wayfinder.

I've been communicating back-and-forth with GAIA a couple of times with newbie-type questions, and they've been extremely quick to reply to my emails, and their responses have always been spot-on. I can see why they're so popular. So I've ordered a sticker and a patch from them at: Gaia GPS Apparel and Accessories.

I'm not a huge fan of covering your vehicle with tons of stickers (that's just me), but for our TAT trip I'll have a TAT sticker (or two) and a GAIA sticker somewhere on the Jeep.

Some Overlanders go crazy with patches (it seems to be an overlanding thing). Sometimes they're called "Morale Patches". Harmless fun I figure. They'll have their whole vehicle's ceiling covered with them. I just put them under the lid of my trailer, and for me there has to be some sort of significance for me getting the patch. Any fabric shop should sell 2" wide Velcro strips with adhesive backing (although a little extra super glue helps keep the strips in place), so that's what I use for attaching patches to (I need to buy more). I'll see about collecting more patches as we travel the TAT of places we go to or through (maybe the Jack Daniel's place will have some - a whiskey bottle patch!).

Patches.1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Darunner

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
This lady has an interesting story (I like her). She is (in my opinion) kind-of in-between being an overlander (her trailer's a little too big for overlanding in some places) and a full-time RVer. I enjoy watching her videos and reading her posts.

Link: Why I Started Living on the Road Full-Time in an Airstream Basecamp - Answers to 5 Viewer Q&As! - Bing video

Link: Tails of Wanderlust – Live Simply. Adventure Often.

Anyways, on one of her videos she introduced me to an app called "RV Parky". It is a free app. Check it out.

Link: RV Parky Mobile App

I've got the app on my phone (I'll also put it on my iPad before the TAT trip). It can help you find not only campgrounds, but places that allow overnight parking (like Walmarts, Cracker Barrel restaurants, etc.). Sometimes you've gotta "urban camp" when traveling. Like I might be doing when driving from WA to WV for the start of the TAT in June - I've had difficulties finding campgrounds when driving across the country in the past. This app should make it a lot easier this next time to find a place for the night.

Or say... you were planning on going to the Jack Daniel's distillery and wanted to know about camping close by, you could put the Distillery address (or city, zip code, place, etc.) in on the app, and hit search.

Example (this is her talking about the app): Sleeping in a Walmart Parking Lot: How to find overnight spots and is it safe for a solo female? - Bing video

Last edited:

T. Stanley

Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

This lady has an interesting story. She is (in my opinion) kind-of in-between being an overlander (her trailer's a little too big for overlanding in some places) and a full-time RVer. I enjoy watching her videos and reading her posts.

Link: Why I Started Living on the Road Full-Time in an Airstream Basecamp - Answers to 5 Viewer Q&As! - Bing video

Anyways, on one of her videos she introduced me to an app called "RV Parky". It is a free app. Check it out.

I've got the app on my phone (I'll also put it on my iPad before the TAT trip). It can help you find not only campgrounds, but places that allow overnight parking (like Walmarts, Cracker Barrel restaurants, etc.). Sometimes you've gotta "urban camp" when traveling. Like I might be doing when driving from WA to WV for the start of the TAT in June - I've had difficulties finding campgrounds when driving across the country in the past. This app should make it a lot easier this next time to find a place for the night.

Or say... you were planning on going to the Jack Daniel's distillery and wanted to know about camping close by, you could put the Distillery address (or city, zip code, place, etc.) in on the app, and hit search.

Example (this is her talking about the app): Sleeping in a Walmart Parking Lot: How to find overnight spots and is it safe for a solo female? - Bing video
Paul, there is another app I discovered watching a couple who overland quite a bit, it is called iOverlander

im certain those of you who use the android platform can find this app as well.

Darunner

Rank V

Advocate I

Orlando
First Name
Jehad
Last Name
Hannoush
Member #

I'm not a huge fan of covering your vehicle with tons of stickers (that's just me), but for our TAT trip I'll have a TAT sticker (or two) and a GAIA sticker somewhere on the Jeep.

Some Overlanders go crazy with patches (it seems to be an overlanding thing). Sometimes they're called "Morale Patches". Harmless fun I figure.

Guilty as charged :sweatsmile:

Attachments

Reactions: N8FLY

Darunner

Rank V

Advocate I

Orlando
First Name
Jehad
Last Name
Hannoush
Member #

I'm definitely interested to hear what you think of the 150A GPS Bluetooth device. That's the one I'm leaning towards.

I will definitely update you on what I find on 150 . I will be doing the KAT (Kentucky Adventure Trail) on March 10 -15 so I will put this device to the test . I had Also purchased the Garmin In reach SE + and that's because i learned the hard way that some area you have no communication what's so ever and in case of emergency , only a satellite communicator will get you help , specially SOS situation . now this have a build in bluetooth that I will connect to my Ipad and always have GPS tracking . I will update you on that as well .

Attachments

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
This lady has an interesting story. She is (in my opinion) kind-of in-between being an overlander (her trailer's a little too big for overlanding in some places) and a full-time RVer. I enjoy watching her videos and reading her posts.

She RSVPd for my June Jam event one year, but backed out at the last minute for a trip to Japan.

jeepers29

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Georgetown, TX, USA
Member #

I have a never opened garmin glo 2 if you are interested. I ordered it before realizing that the inreach connects basically the same way. PM if interested.

Zombie

Local Expert Virginia, USA
Investor

Advocate III

Richmond, VA USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4ZTU
I use the Garmin Inreach with the Earthmate app. I uploaded the TAT GPX files into it. There are a ton of waypoints for stores, hotels, grocery stores etc. Pretty thorough. I also use IOverlander, freecampsites.net and Gaia to find overnight accommodations.

I have an active subscription to Inreach and am planning on doing the whole trail so I can cover any emergencies for everyone.