Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Spending the night in a Walmart parking lot isn't weird to the RVing crowd. Some Walmarts allow it; some don't (hence that "RV-Parky" app). It wouldn't be my first or second choice, but sometimes any shelter in a storm.... They have bathrooms inside. Buy a few things in the store while there, be polite and friendly and make sure the cashier knows you're one of the folks out there spending the night in their parking lot and thank them, and let them know you'll be leaving in the morning.
Oh, I've spent my nights in Wal-Mart parking lots and have nothing against it. It's the idea of a ground tent on the pavement that just seems weird.

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Thanks for sharing. I've got a friend that talks about this guy. I've been meaning to look him up.

I agree with him completely. I'm a bit of a minimalist in this sport/hobby/lifestyle. I was honestly concerned about serving in my OB positions because I don't possess a skottle or traction boards. LOL
if you don't have a Tembo Tusk Skottle, then you're not a real Overlander. We won't even talk about your lack of traction boards (go MaxTrax or go home).

You need the full kit, to include the Tembo Tusk carry bag (make sure it is placed in your vehicle so everyone can see it). AND you need the Tembo Tusk velcro patch (only $8.00).

Here's a link: TemboTusk Adjustable Leg Skottle Kit - YotaMafia

Oh wait... I don't have a Tembo Tusk Skottle, and my traction boards are knock-off X-Bulls. Maybe I'm not a real Overlander either.

Nevermind - Emily Litella - Bing video

Darunner

Rank V

Advocate I

Orlando
First Name
Jehad
Last Name
Hannoush
Member #

as I previously stated i am planing for all 3 different sleeping setup , RTT , ground tent using a cote ,
and In the truck , I agree with Neal it maybe weird sleeping in a tent in the Wallmart parking , but it will be weird for people who shop there and seeing a bunch of tent setup , so maybe will setup behind the building away from the crowd if wallmart allow it.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Darunner

Rank V

Advocate I

Orlando
First Name
Jehad
Last Name
Hannoush
Member #

if you don't have a Tembo Tusk Skottle, then you're not a real Overlander. We won't even talk about your lack of traction boards (go MaxTrax or go home).

You need the full kit, to include the Tembo Tusk carry bag (make sure it is placed in your vehicle so everyone can see it). AND you need the velcro Tembo Tusk velcro patch (only $8.00).

Here's a link: TemboTusk Adjustable Leg Skottle Kit - YotaMafia

Oh wait... I don't have a Tembo Tusk Skottle, and my traction boards are knock-off X-Bulls. Maybe I'm not a real Overlander either.

Nevermind - Emily Litella - Bing video

I guess I will bring my Tembotusk and I will keep it hidden in my car and use it after you guys go to sleep :sweatsmile:

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
Usually folks are set up in a back far corner at Walmart. I've never seen tents set-up either, but I have seen RVs parked there. Usually folks are keeping a low profile there.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I think I have a Tembo Tusk beverage koozie I'll sell someone for $8.

Triple B

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL
First Name
Ann
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

If we "circled the wagons" (or formed a big "C"), and had tents inside, or had the tent between two parked vehicles it should be fine (i.e. make folks feel more comfortable). Even folks looking to cause trouble generally won't mess with a group (especially a group of 4x4 vehicles). And if we do an Urban Camping thing like at Walmart (I kinda want to try it if the opportunity presents itself and the timing of day is right), we're out of there early in the morning.

What scares me (or scared me - been there) was camping alone in the middle of nowhere where bears and other carnivores and wild beasties were present. Or thinking some meth-head psycho (or two - I think they run in pairs) might show up seeing my out there all by myself in the middle of nowhere and decide to "have a little fun" or worse. When boondocking it, I try to make my presence not visible from the road.

Either way, someone or something might have got shot, but that's beside the point.
Here's my 2 cents of circling the wagons at Walmart. As a previous 3 yr full timer in an RV, living on the road, I can tell you Walmart was always a place to over night from point a to point b like a rest stop or a truck stop. As time went on Walmart started disallowing over night parking do to having problems with individuals, such as trash, human waste, living in their lots. etc; as such city ordinances came along and banned this. City camping is suppose to be in a stealth mode. Circling and bringing out tents would not fall under being stealth. I would suggest a small city/town and their local park. You would be surprised how many are out there and free. East side of the U.S. is not too friendly to overnight parking. It has been banned in a lot of places, along with sleeping in your vehicle. I've had bears come into my camp(Yosemite). They are looking for food, because people are careless and leave it out. Not much different than a dog, you leave food out in their home and they will get into it. I have not seen the TAT maps in detail yet, but I think once we're out of civilization most if not all the wildlife won't be around since it's not that populated. Out in true nature, they are skittish around humans. We might hear coyotes, but they won't come into camp. I live in a heavily populated area of Florida, and yes there are coyotes here. Hear them and seen them. They are no longer fearful of humans. I did have a fox come up to the camp fire out in Arizona, that was way cool. Using a ground tent out in the wilderness I would be more concerned with snakes, scorpions, rodents and tarantulas the further west we go. The meth heads are not going to be out of town. You will find them in town or at the edge of it stealing stuff, i.e in parking lots. Some of our rigs will have numerous items attached to the outside, all dollar signs for a thief. I have been bothered more at a Walmart then at a truck stop, rest area, or out in nature. My trusty sidekick can't do much to an intruder do to size, but is excellent at sounding the alarm. :) Rant over.........

Darunner

Rank V

Advocate I

Orlando
First Name
Jehad
Last Name
Hannoush
Member #

I guess we should setup a “night watch “ for safety and security..
I am claiming the first shift LOL. :-)

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
I hope we’re all just joking here. There will not be any issues traveling especially in a group like this...

Triple B

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL
First Name
Ann
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

I guess we should setup a “night watch “ for safety and security..
I am claiming the first shift LOL. :-)
I hope we’re all just joking here. There will not be any issues traveling especially in a group like this...
Just keeping it real from someone who has been out there. Out of all the things mentioned on this topic the most dreaded is the 2am knock from the po po to move along.

Darunner

Rank V

Advocate I

Orlando
First Name
Jehad
Last Name
Hannoush
Member #

Absolutely it’s a real thing and a fact , there’s even some YouTuber making videos about how they stealth camping in such places and in rest area
So yes Anna to your point it’s is something that we should keep in mind

T. Stanley

Rocky Mountain Region Member Rep Kansas
Launch Member

Member III

Clay Center, Kansas
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Just keeping it real from someone who has been out there. Out of all the things mentioned on this topic the most dreaded is the 2am knock from the po po to move along.
that is why i always pick up my smartphone and find the phone number for the walmart/city park i’m interested in camping at and ask if they allow overnighting, i find it is usually ok and i have never had the po po come up to my truck, but that was when i could sleep in my truck, it might be a different scenario with the addition of a RTT into the equation. My point here is, especially with multiple vehicles, it would be in our best interest to call ahead and get permission, having that many vehicles getting booted in the middle of the night would not be fun on so many levels. i feel since we are with a nationally known overlanding group, someone could pull us up on the internet and see we are legit and respectful/ responsible and we would not create any issues or leave a mess behind.

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
I have a fair amount of experience “out there” having overlanded in 4 continents and last summer spent 10 weeks overlanding from VA to AK and back .

Situational awareness is always a good thing no matter what you’re doing or where you are. Other than that no one will mess with a group of rigs that are together....If we do our homework we should not be overnighting anywhere where we’re not suppose to. That’s just common sense...

armyRN

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Longview, WA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Dickinson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TSP
I have a fair amount of experience “out there” having overlanded in 4 continents and last summer spent 10 weeks overlanding from VA to AK and back .

Situational awareness is always a good thing no matter what you’re doing or where you are. Other than that no one will mess with a group of rigs that are together....If we do our homework we should not be overnighting anywhere where we’re not suppose to. That’s just common sense...
And that's pretty much the main take-home points (thanks smlobx). And all these previous posts are all good discussion points for looking at the larger picture of overlanding safety and such in general (thanks Anna).

For our TAT trip though, I really don't expect us to be camping in a Walmart parking lot unless all other options are no longer viable and it is our last choice. (I will confess, I do like to play "what-if" sometimes, and think it through.) I have a feeling there are going to be so many folks looking at their camping site apps as we're doing the TAT that we'll have more than one option most nights, and I will have no problem with folks telling me what options for the night are up ahead (makes my job as leader easier). As I mentioned earlier, Walmart wouldn't be my first or second choice.

However, some of us (like me) may be driving hundreds (if not thousands) of miles just to get to the TAT starting point (for me it is 2500 highway miles to get from WA to Ripley). And if you go all the way to the OR coast, now you've gotta turn around and head home (or to Canada for some of you who can't get enough of this). And if you're like me, you're trying to keep costs down on this trip when possible. I'm figuring this trip is going to easily cost me between $1500 and $2000 in gasoline alone. So if I can keep from having to spend money to sleep somewhere for the night before even getting to the starting point, I'll consider it. So Walmart is always one option.

I might just try and make reservations at KOA campgrounds along the way for the WA to WV spring. I've never had a bad experience with KOA. They're kinda like McDonalds - not the greatest, but you know pretty much what you're getting (to include a shower at most KOAs). And they're generally located close to the highway.

I'm very keen on situational awareness - almost paranoid. My Jeep and trailer are like a Christmas tree with presents underneath just waiting to be taken. Coolers, jerry cans, traction boards, high lift jack, propane cylinder, shovels, axes, etc. - all there in plain sight - and I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation. Even when I stop during the day for lunch at a fast food restaurant, I park so I can see the vehicle from inside the restaurant, and not near other vehicles. The thought of having my Jeep & trailer parked in a motel parking lot overnight frightens me - I'm afraid I'll wake up and stuff is stolen (including the trailer!). You can try and lock things, but how much damage could someone do to your trailer to try and steal a $35 jerry can? Probably more than the jerry can is worth. And I don't want to be messed with. I'd rather sleep in the vehicle or in the RTT than stay at some sketchy roadside motel.

I'm looking forward to running the TAT with the group! This is going to be great.

Last edited:

Triple B

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Tampa, FL
First Name
Ann
Last Name
Edwards
Member #

Just an FYI.....Not sure if you have come across Ash Chestnut's vids on YT for the TAT. but he filmed his solo trip coast to coast in a 4x4. I think mainly if gives a pretty good idea of what terrain might be like, along with the weather during the time we are leaving(of course weather is unpredictable). The first few vids are a bit wonky, but there is improvement as the vids continue. I found him through FB page Trans America Trail for 4x4's. Below is the link to the vids if interested:

Motor Onwards - YouTube

Zombie

Local Expert Virginia, USA
Investor

Advocate III

Richmond, VA USA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Wright
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4ZTU
Hey everyone, if we need to stealth camp, we can work together, lock stuff on the roof racks and accommodate everybody in vehicles. I'm planning on sleeping in my LandCruiser and would have room for a second person if I put a couple of crates on the roof for the night. It's always an option to sleep in the front seats for the night. Not great, but it will work. If we stop at a hotel, I may just sleep in the vehicle anyway as I really don't want to be a victim of a smash and grab. Just please, someone let me take a shower and I'll gladly watch all the vehicles overnight.

Leave no one behind!

Solo Saga

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Crouse, NC, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Binderup
Member #

So we're just a little over four months out from our departure date. It'll get here fast.

What modifications have you been doing to your vehicles to get it ready for the trip?

I got a RAM mount for my TJ so I can have my 10" iPad close by. If all works right, I'll have my phone on the dash (with GAIA) zoomed-in showing a small area in greater detail, and I'll have the iPad (with GAIA) zoomed-out showing a much larger area view.

View attachment 186629
I'm knee deep in it. A LOT of Restore and Replace, with some mods: TruTracs Frt & Rr w/4.88 regear, 5-33" BGF KM3s, headers (to address a crossover pipe issue w/the 3VZE), mech oil press gauge, big 3 wiring upgrade, and some other interior & ext. lighting stuff. I hope I get done in time to properly 20210217_160714.jpg20210217_160623.jpgbreak in the diffs before the trip, lol. Pics taken 18Feb21 (btw, that's just water on the floor. My garage gets a little storm surge action, hahaha)