RTT Annexes... How often do you use them? How do you set them up INSIDE?

• HTML tutorial

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

So, I have a Tepui Ruggedized Autana 3. It came with a nice big annex, but I've never used it... usually camp in one spot, pack up in the morning, explore all day, then find a new camp spot and deploy the tent and sleep.

I want to hear how often you use your annex. Do you only use them when camping in the same spot for multiple days, or do you use them every time regardless of how long you'll be camped?

What do you put inside? Anything at all? Nothing? Camp chairs? Tables?

Let's hear it! Pictures of your annex setups would make this thread more awesome!

Pick Teej

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Smethport, Pennsylvania
Member #

had the tent for almost a year now. used the annex last week in Assateague as a way to escape from the noon-day sun and drink beer secretly. two lawn chairs inside and some snacked. we have the smittybilt overlander (smaller tent/smaller annex). it works great if your base camping and not moving the vehicle often. though it really isnt much to set up it is large to put away and haul around.

Reactions: ovrlndr

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

We keep our annex permanently attached to our CVT mt Shasta. I added an extra gutter on the bottom of the tent, so the annex can stay attached while the cover is also attached.

It’s not hard to fold up around the ladder, and setup is easy. We use it to store totes during the day, and for changing and baby wipe baths.

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

We keep our annex permanently attached to our CVT mt Shasta. I added an extra gutter on the bottom of the tent, so the annex can stay attached while the cover is also attached.

It’s not hard to fold up around the ladder, and setup is easy. We use it to store totes during the day, and for changing and baby wipe baths.
Interesting. My Tepui annex is pretty big and the weather cover is not much bigger than the tent folded up, so I don't think I would be able to keep it on permanently, even with a similar modification to the tent.

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Granted, our RTT isn’t an extended version. I don’t know if we could fit an extended annex in this manner.

But I’ve found it’s just about getting up on top of the RTT once it’s folded, and folding the annex neatly around the ladder. I think it’s just something you have to try.

Hourless Life

Rank VI
Investor

Explorer I

Fulltime Travelers
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Highland
Member #

I use the annex most of the time, now that I got the batwing from rhino with the walls. It’s an apartment with a duplex on top.
You got photos of the Batwing with the walls set up? I have the Batwing but haven’t invested in the walls. Also curious to the footprint on the walls when stowed. Thanks!

ovrlndr

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Broom
Member #

We use ours in cold weather, put the little buddy heater down there and let the heat rise to the tent.
I hope you use a carbon monoxide sensor or 5 and vent the tent well... CO is lighter than air, so heat isn’t the only thing rising into your tent... :eek:

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

I have a Front Runner RTT and I always have the annex attached. It folds up with the tent and stays under the cover between each side of the ladder. It is used for a second sleeping area using a cot or a shower area. I always bring a Zodi camp shower.
This whole set up works really well. I put a small trap down on the ground and have the small folding bench to sit on and place soap and towels on. I always bring that bench to help deploy and put the RTT away. It is great for general seating or for the kitchen setup boxes. The car door is usually closed. IMG_20180717_175151.jpg IMG_20180717_175200.jpg IMG_20180717_175240.jpg

sabjku

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Alexandria, VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Beh
Member #

I have an Autana with annex as well, like a few others that posted. I also use the annex for the same reasons as others.

I've never tried to fold up the annex with the tent, but I'd like to, because it would be nice to cut down on setup time. I'd probably use it all the time if it could be folded with the tent pretty easily.

If it's just one night that I'm camping, then I typically don't use it. If it's more than a night, then it's worth it to me to take the time and set it up. I like the idea of being able to climb down from the tent and have an area that's enclosed. Nice to be able and stand up and move around, change clothes, etc.

When it's real cold, generally below 35, I'll set up my Mr. Buddy heater in the annex about 3 hrs before calling it a night. It's amazing how well the Mr. Buddy heats up the inside of the annex and the tent! Really takes the chill out of the tent and makes sleeping much more comfortable.

I usually keep a small table, chair, hang my backpack from one of the D-Rings underneath the tent, and a small lantern for light. In the winter I add the heater.

If anyone has any pics of how the annex looks when it's folded up with the tent, that would be awesome!

Reactions: Gary Stevens