Routes, trails, camp sites, resources and knowledge help for upcoming cross country trip - Summer 2021

• HTML tutorial

Willrox1

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
Hinson
Member #

Hello all,

I am currently planning a trip from North Carolina out west to Arizona, Utah and then on over to Colorado. I am planning to hit some pretty scenic and well known trails like Black Bear Pass, Eng Pass etc. as well as others in AR and Ut. I am seeking any awesome camping places or trails that yall have been on and recommend as well as the best parks to visit especially in Arizona and Utah. I plan on stopping at the Grand Canyon of course, maybe for a day or two. If you have made a similar trip please feel free to let me know all the details and knowledge that you have to share. Lastly, I am planning on south from NC on through Texas and so on.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

Pretty vague description for Az and Ut since they are so big. What kind of rig? Dispersed or campground? Do you have a preferred loop of travel?

In short, you can never go wrong with:

Arizona
Flagstaff and San Francisco Peaks which is about an hour south of Grand Canyon south rim.
Mongollon Rim

Utah
Moab/Arches all the way up to Park City.

Where to go all depends on direction of travel. If taking I-10 into AZ, you will want to get out of the heat and loop north. If you take I-40 then you can hit Mongollon Rim, Flag, Grand Canyon then onto Page, lake Powell, Glen Canyon, Canyonlands, Arches, Moab, Montrose, Gunnison Black Canyon, then south to Ouray, Silverton.

NC Bruce

Rank 0

Traveler I

North Carolina
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Hickman
Sounds like a great trip. I'm also in NC so hit me up if you ever want to wheel closer to home. My 2015 JKUR is still street legal but no longer fun for 3,000 mile road trips so we typically fly out west & rent an off-road rig when we get there. I hope to do the 2021 Easter Jeep Safari w friends in Moab if that is of interest to you.

Reactions: Willrox1

Maggie1128

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Maggie
Last Name
Donovan
Member #

Hello all,

I am currently planning a trip from North Carolina out west to Arizona, Utah and then on over to Colorado. I am planning to hit some pretty scenic and well known trails like Black Bear Pass, Eng Pass etc. as well as others in AR and Ut. I am seeking any awesome camping places or trails that yall have been on and recommend as well as the best parks to visit especially in Arizona and Utah. I plan on stopping at the Grand Canyon of course, maybe for a day or two. If you have made a similar trip please feel free to let me know all the details and knowledge that you have to share. Lastly, I am planning on south from NC on through Texas and so on.
Do you want company. I’m planning a cross country trip and would like to travel with someone else. Let me know. Thank you
Maggie

Willrox1

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Wilmington, NC, USA
First Name
Will
Last Name
Hinson
Member #

Pretty vague description for Az and Ut since they are so big. What kind of rig? Dispersed or campground? Do you have a preferred loop of travel?

In short, you can never go wrong with:

Arizona
Flagstaff and San Francisco Peaks which is about an hour south of Grand Canyon south rim.
Mongollon Rim

Utah
Moab/Arches all the way up to Park City.

Where to go all depends on direction of travel. If taking I-10 into AZ, you will want to get out of the heat and loop north. If you take I-40 then you can hit Mongollon Rim, Flag, Grand Canyon then onto Page, lake Powell, Glen Canyon, Canyonlands, Arches, Moab, Montrose, Gunnison Black Canyon, then south to Ouray, Silverton.
lol yeah I was pretty vague there. All those that you listed are what I kinda have in mind. I am planning to do dispersed camping in my 2002 Tacoma. I do not have an exact route of travel as of now. Anyways, thanks so much for all of that information that really helps a ton!

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Hello all,

I can speak of a few nice camping spots in the Alpine loop area of Colorado. Some that are very secluded and some that are more of a larger shared boondocking area. My two favorite spots in the area is the two we used on our trip we took in June of last season. I'm not very tech. Savy but maybe Neal can post the coordinates for the one off Corkscrew pass the is a large area there but also a smaller secluded spot just a 100 yards from the group area. This is really a ideal spot to base camp because of its vicinity to Ouray and the trails you would like to explore. There is also the large area of dispersed campsites (Ironton) that are just south of Corkscrew's trail head off 550 along the river. Just depends on if you feel safer having neighbors or secluded? And the one we stayed at above the outskirts of Telluride on Last Dollar road.

Also one of the funnest thing to do is to wing it and just locate your site as you explore the area. There really is a abundance of campsites in the area.

Last edited:
Reactions: ryanorr280

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

This sounds interesting. I am about to be there in June. Have you boondocked near Ouray? 38.01520, -107.65330
Wanting to know more about the road conditions up there.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

That looks like a nice place to camp. Probably would be accessible in June. My plan is to be in Ouray Sunday the 6-7-8 of June. We are not planning any off road activities for those days, just going to enjoy the town and a day of playing in Telluride. My wife is not fond of the shelf road type of trails.

Reactions: Tommys

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
That looks like a nice place to camp. Probably would be accessible in June. My plan is to be in Ouray Sunday the 6-7-8 of June. We are not planning any off road activities for those days, just going to enjoy the town and a day of playing in Telluride. My wife is not fond of the shelf road type of trails.
Is she able to do Ophir Pass over to Telluride and then Last Dollar Road back to Ouray side?

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

Ophir Pass is shelf all the way up from that direction if I'm not mistaken. Definitely not. But when I first was planning this little trip I wanted to camp on Last Dollar and camp one night just above the airport. Then camp just off highway 550 and spend some time in Ouray before heading home to Denver, But with covid still limiting access to things like the public pooling Ouray I just opted for the hotel room. She will go on some trails but really doesn't enjoy it (compromises). I wish she could stomach them, because the views rival the Grand Canyon or just about anywhere else if you ask me.

Last edited:

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Do not take I10! Take I40.....

The Roach ...

Rank IV

Member III

Frisco, TX, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
V
Member #

im planning to leave in a week for glen canyon and the area... likely north rim of grand canyon as well. taking the defender 110 and a expedition trailer.