Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
It's spelled "YOU'RE"

Whose the troll here?

I also own an Airstream.

You do seem to have an opinion. That much is clear. But no real arguments to add to the discussion. Shame.
. Can you post some pics of your airstream please classic caravans BnT

stage7

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Travis County, Texas, United States
First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Mack
Member #

Ok, so I installed the roof top tent and opened it and I have to say (albeit being the first time I'd opened it) I didn't find it to be that much faster then the ground tent. Especially with the rig being so high with the 3" lift. I do like that I do not have to stake things down and that I'm off the ground but the real test will be sleeping in it and in my case as I'm getting older having to use the little boys room frequently in the night. I'll be taking it to Off The Grid West 2017 on the 29th with my twin six year old girls so we'll see how "Ruggedized" it is with two sets of little hands that like to see how everything works. :grinning:

Reactions: 3wbdriver

rzims

Rank III

Enthusiast III

San Jose, CA, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Sims
I had REALLY wanted a RTT and had begun researching them before last week's camping trip but never pulled the trigger.
I have to say I'm kind of glad I didn't. For our situation, where there's just the two of us and the dog, a ground tent works better.
Plus in a week's time, we camped at 3 different sites and used the jeep to run around exploring during the day. It's nice to leave camp setup when we go out.
I saw several in on our trip in the camps, and still really like the idea, but I think it's more the idea than the reality that I like.

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
I have always been a ground tent camper/backpacker. I have in the inventory everything from a single person a-fame to a 10 person mansion with a porch. I even got into hammock camping and that was good on my aging body. A side note is that the girlfriend doesn't like the idea of us being is separate hammocks...so that is reserved for my solitary outings according to her. When she saw a few rooftop tents on our trip up to Central California this summer...she fell in love with the idea. I like the idea but I too am apprehensive of the weight up on the roof and the breaking camp if we want to drive the rig somewhere. I told her I would research the idea some more but its not like you can rent them from REI to test it out. So for right now we are sticking to the ground tents and saving up the $$$ for other necessities on the rig.

**Update- I have been told I can rent one before purchasing it and am leaning toward a trailer build if I go RTT.

Last edited:

MandAtaco

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Las Vegas, NV
Member #

I'm an everything camper, we use the RTT on trips were we are traveling/camping/traveling/camping, etc., which we do a lot of. The RTT is perfect for that and very comfortable. It's NOT for base camping though, if we are going someplace where we are spending a few days without breaking camp, then we bring the pop-up or the trail dome ground tent.

I feel like the reason people get on "this is better or that is better kick", is because they look at it from a single camping perspective. To me every camping situation requires something different, and there are times when an RTT is more convenient, and there are times when a ground tent is more convenient.

I guess all I'm saying is try to look at someone choices from all sides.

stage7

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Mack
Member #

I have always been a ground tent camper/backpacker. I have in the inventory everything from a single person a-fame to a 10 person mansion with a porch. I even got into hammock camping and that was good on my aging body. A side note is that the girlfriend doesn't like the idea of us being is separate hammocks...so that is reserved for my solitary outings according to her. When she saw a few rooftop tents on our trip up to Central California this summer...she fell in love with the idea. I like the idea but I too am apprehensive of the weight up on the roof and the breaking camp if we want to drive the rig somewhere. I told her I would research the idea some more but its not like you can rent them from REI to test it out. So for right now we are sticking to the ground tents and saving up the $$$ for other necessities on the rig.
You can rent them from Tepui. I met a couple that had rented one and then decided to buy one after they rented it when I was picking mine up. You should see if there is a company near you that rent's them.

Reactions: NightCrawler

stage7

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Mack
Member #

I'm an everything camper, we use the RTT on trips were we are traveling/camping/traveling/camping, etc., which we do a lot of. The RTT is perfect for that and very comfortable. It's NOT for base camping though, if we are going someplace where we are spending a few days without breaking camp, then we bring the pop-up or the trail dome ground tent.

I feel like the reason people get on "this is better or that is better kick", is because they look at it from a single camping perspective. To me every camping situation requires something different, and there are times when an RTT is more convenient, and there are times when a ground tent is more convenient.

I guess all I'm saying is try to look at someone choices from all sides.
I agree. One choice or the other is to finite and black and white. You need what you need in any given situation. I now have both a RTT and a ground mount and I'm also bringing a small light weight for backpacking. If I'm base camping it's ground tent. If it's a short stay or overnight RTT. There are pro's and con's for all of them.

JeepinJournals

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Texas
Member #

One very important point thing I didn't notice brought up. Which does the wife prefer? Mine wanted the RTT....:grin: Couple of items I do like about it are, in the cold it's warmer than the ground. And storage wise, if you have a pretty good size ground tent you are going to either store it on your rack or put it in the back and take up space....you can also put more than you think inside the tent before you fold it down. And you don't have to spend thousands of dollars. I think it is really just a preference, and to each his own....As long as you're getting outside and enjoying yourself who really care what you camp in?

Love to topic by the way

stage7

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Mack
Member #

One very important point thing I didn't notice brought up. Which does the wife prefer? Mine wanted the RTT....:grin: Couple of items I do like about it are, in the cold it's warmer than the ground. And storage wise, if you have a pretty good size ground tent you are going to either store it on your rack or put it in the back and take up space....you can also put more than you think inside the tent before you fold it down. And you don't have to spend thousands of dollars. I think it is really just a preference, and to each his own....As long as you're getting outside and enjoying yourself who really care what you camp in?

Love to topic by the way
She prefers the ground tent. She doesn't like climbing up and down a ladder in the middle of the night to use the little girls room

Bryan_C

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Maple Valley, WA, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Clowdus
Member #

I have not used a RTT yet but I am really considering purchasing one.... I like the idea of being up off the ground and also the comfort of a mattress!!! My wife and I both have some back troubles so the mattress will be a life saver. However the change to center of gravity as well as the lack of roof top storage could also become an issue. I think my best bet will be to build a small off road capable camping trailer and attach the roof top tent. This will allow me to get off the beaten patch set up a base camp and still enjoy the full performance of my jeep.

Reactions: NightCrawler

Bryan_C

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Maple Valley, WA, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Clowdus
Member #

I love my RTT. I keep a 1.5" memory foam mattress in it, so its similar to my bed at the house! All trips are better with a good night sleep!

View attachment 36169
That's perfect!!! Is that a Harbor Freight trailer build or something else? I have seen a lot of builds using the Harbor Freight trailers but wasn't sure the quality...

Patrick-PeachStateOvrlnd

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor III

Kennesaw, GA
Member #

Reactions: Bryan_C

Rizzo

Rank II

Enthusiast II

White Rock, BC, Canada
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Rissanen
Member #

Kukenam.JPG

Just sold this yesterday. This pic was taken Sunday night and it's sitting on my 97 lexus lx 450. fits perfectly.
I'm moving to a small camperette on my tundra so I can winter camp more often. But I would buy another one of these in a heart beat, like the other fellow said earlier in this thread. It's nice to have both, especially if you have friends along or kids with you. I don't thing you can go wrong either way. It is nice being up off the ground though. Cheers!

stage7

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

First Name
Kyle
Last Name
Mack
Member #

Just got back from Off The Grid 2017 and used my RTT for the first time and was curious to see the difference with the weight up top on the trail. It did not bother me in the least. I'm not rock crawling in my rig and it handled just fine. No problems or drama going up the mountain. I do however recommend the mattress upgrade. I'm going to be doing that for sure. The only other problem I'd say was that I was base camping with my kids and did not want to break down the tent for the pre run. I'd like to purchase a trailer with RTT for future trips where I'm stationed for a few days so my rig is free to move on a moments notice. That or nice ground tent. Overall though I have to say I liked being of the ground and with my Maxtrax and Lynx leveling blocks is was very easy to level out the vehicle as opposed to leveling the ground. Happy with my purchase overall.