Launch Member

Traveler III

Mountain View, CA, USA
First Name
Rodrigo
Last Name
S
Member #

Having a RTT mounted to a trailer in this case my Morris Mule Trailer is great I love to be able to disconnect the trailer base camp and head out to explore-fish etc. I don't always set up the annex just depends on how long I plan on staying in the area, campsite facilities etc. I also can hide my Porta Pottie , The annex is also great if your in an exposed area (wind) makes cooking a lot more enjoyable. There are some precautions that can be taken if your camping in an exposed area-there is nothing like being prepared for the worse or at least having options. I was on the road 4 months last year, this years it will be 6. Much of the time exposed to the wind.
I would talk to everyone I meet, get their perspective, what will your significant others needs be, what are your comfort level requirements-they change. Thirty years ago I was satisfied with a tarp over me-not now. Put some thought into the purchase before you purchase!! How often will you be using the set up? a few weekends a years or months on end. I find most people I talk to, doing what I'm doing pretty honest-ask people
thanks
Bob
ATTACH=full]61124[/ATTACH] View attachment 61125
That’s a sweet set up!!

Eric Wade

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Leesburg, Texas, United States
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Wade
Member #

I spent a long time researching various ground tents and roof top tents before I settled on my Free Spirit Recreation Series Medium RTT. It really depends on the type of person you are and where you live as well

My reasoning for splurging on an RTT here in Central Oregon

-Highly volcanic region, so there is rocks EVERYWHERE, clearing ground for a tent is both a pain and ultimately does not leave the area as you found it
-Extremely dusty. Packing away a RTT is much more convenient when it comes to not getting completely covered in the moon dust we have here
-Better with critters. We have snakes, cougars, fire ants, etc here and it is nice to be up off the ground and away from those things. It is also piece of mind for me and the GF as we had a cougar encounter after backpacking 5 miles into a local mountain
-Comfort. The RTT is easily more comfortable than a sleeping bag and an air mattress
-Weather. The RTT enables us to camp in more seasons than a ground tent, we get snow and rain, so not having to worry about those things on the ground is great as well

Anyone looking for a more affordable RTT that still has great construction, I would recommend looking at Freespirit Recreation - Vehicle Roof Top Tents for Trucks & SUVs
They are busy though as they are growing, so they might not have a certain style in stock

View attachment 31634 View attachment 31635
What an incredible picture. Quite impressive!

RubiBluCru

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

South Carolina
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Wellman
I’m thinking awning with side walls as my tent. Cot and sleeping bag.
Only downside would be having to run an errand.
I do however have a Gazelle 4 plus and a 2 person tent as options.

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

if I sleep overnight on the trial, I will have 3 medium to large dogs with me. They can't climb those stairs and I'm not hauling them up and down.

Regular ground tent for me, they're not that hard to set-up in my opinion and weights about 5 lbs.

IAm_Not_Lost

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Arizona
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Yeats
Member #

From an objective standpoint ground tents are by far the more logical choice. From a subjective standpoint RTT's are cool and I want one.

Ground tent pro's: A standard decent quality dome style ground tent can be had for - depending on RTT price - about a 1/10th to a 1/20th of a RTT. They are easy and quick enough to set up (takes me in real time about 5-8 minutes). They are far roomier, easier to have a family in, easier to have pets in, easier to go do midnight business in, exc. They are far lighter. Extremely weatherproof/windproof with proper guy lines. They allow you to set up camp and then take your rig and explore. You can find flatter ground easier and not spend 5 minutes leveling your rig so that your RTT is flat. Allows you to setup your tent in an area the vehicle can't get into. No one I have heard of is getting dragged out of their ground tent by a mountain lion, nor are little creepy crawlies getting into a normally maintained ground tent.
Cons: Takes a little longer to setup. You have to setup your bedding as well. Certain ground conditions make setting up the tent annoying and messy (mud, snow, exc).

RTT tent pro's: They are cool and it would be fun to have one. A little faster to setup than a ground tent if you get a hard shell /clam shell style and not the older style square fold out. More comfortable in the sense of cushion. Bedding can stay inside it. Easier to setup in muddy/wet type conditions. Superficial sense of security.
Cons: Cost the same as your kids first year of community college. Not much space. More cumbersome ingress and egress. Have to pack up to go explore with vehicle or run errands. Limited to areas your vehicle can get to and be roughly level. Not great in wind. Heavy.

I think the reality is that ground tents have far more benefits than cons, and other than the perceived ease of setup are largely more efficient than a RTT. With that said, I want an Ikamper Sky Camp and when I get one someday I will absolutely come up with justifications for owning it and why its better than a ground tent!

LostWoods

Rank IV
Launch Member

Member III

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
lastname
Member #

We went from ground to RTT back to ground. There are perks to both but I feel the real RTT perks are really only realized with a hardshell that can be consistently deployed and packed in under 2 minutes by almost anyone.

Ground tents don't have to pack camp to do a day hike or a quick run into town for a brewery or supply run. They aren't limited to your large vehicle so you can camp in places you can't get a truck by walking a few dozen yards to a better lake or creek-side spot. They're the super lightweight option - a typical large dome tent is not even 20% of the weight of most RTTs and you can get much lower by going with backpacking tents. That weight is also down low instead of floating around up top which is a huge benefit for vehicle stability. Most important to some is price where even the highest end, 4-season, double-walled mountain expedition ground tents are still only just scratching into RTT prices.

RTTs keep you out of the mud and rocks and above critters which are definitely perks. #1 reason we bought one to try was my wife's prior skiddishness in the wilderness. They set up and take down relatively easily but I haven't found this to be much a benefit unless you're talking a hardshell tent that can be up and down so quickly it negates the ground tent's "ability to leave camp" perk. They can also be set up in places you normally can't set up a tent... at most you need fold-out room and a place for the ladder which makes even parking lots or small turnouts off trail viable for a hard-shell.

The biggest issue I have with RTTs is the overhead clearance. Even with a planned 3" lift and 37" tires, I'll be able to park my JT in most garages (big, as I live near DC and everything is a parking garage) as I'll still be under 7 feet but slap an RTT on top of even a stock Tacoma or 4Runner and you're already looking at 7 1/2 feet which would be more than any building I've lived in would handle. You can tuck the tent behind the cab (we did on my Tacoma) but then you lose bed space.

Battle-Spec

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Cartersville, GA, USA
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Proctor
Member #

I’ve had my RTT attached to my M100 trailer for the past year and we love it because everything stays ready to hookup and head out on a trip whenever we want. It is definitely faster and easier to setup and rear down than my ground tent..... but the ground tent is still in the garage, in case there comes a trip that I can’t bring the trailer.