Roof Top Tent or Ground Tent?

• HTML tutorial

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

For those w/ a RTT, how noticeable is it if you're not parked on level ground, do you roll at night? Does it affect your sleep? Does finding level ground ever become an issue? With multiple rigs all trying to find a spot?
Any tent that is not level is uncomfortable, but the advantage of a RTT is you start with a flat platform that needs to be leveled. Having my RTT trailer mounted simplifies the leveling process. I orient the trailer so it is level left to right and use the adjustable drop leg to level front to rear.

IMG_7625.JPG

Last edited:

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

I spent a long time researching various ground tents and roof top tents before I settled on my Free Spirit Recreation Series Medium RTT. It really depends on the type of person you are and where you live as well

My reasoning for splurging on an RTT here in Central Oregon

-Highly volcanic region, so there is rocks EVERYWHERE, clearing ground for a tent is both a pain and ultimately does not leave the area as you found it
-Extremely dusty. Packing away a RTT is much more convenient when it comes to not getting completely covered in the moon dust we have here
-Better with critters. We have snakes, cougars, fire ants, etc here and it is nice to be up off the ground and away from those things. It is also piece of mind for me and the GF as we had a cougar encounter after backpacking 5 miles into a local mountain
-Comfort. The RTT is easily more comfortable than a sleeping bag and an air mattress
-Weather. The RTT enables us to camp in more seasons than a ground tent, we get snow and rain, so not having to worry about those things on the ground is great as well

Anyone looking for a more affordable RTT that still has great construction, I would recommend looking at http://www.gofsr.com/
They are busy though as they are growing, so they might not have a certain style in stock

View attachment 31634 View attachment 31635
How is this RTT compared to the CVT brand?

pcphorse88

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate I

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Payonk
Member #

Any Overlanders use hammocks?

Luv my Hennesy Expedition. I use it for backpacking, kayaking, overlanding...

Just picked up my first hammock from Hike Guru on Amazon. Nice, lightweight, convenient bag to pack. Haven't been able to try it yet but I am hoping to next week on vacation.

As an eagle scout I have done my fair share of camping in my past which included only ground tents. I would love to try a RTT although the price of one is what keeps me from trying one out. A good ground tent can be had for only a couple hundred vs the cheapest RTT I could find at one thousand.

OverlandNYC

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Staten Island, NY
Member #

I'm with Michael, I also prefer the ground tent. I cant see paying thousands of dollars for a RTT. People have a misconception that they are safer in a RTT, people forget bears, racoons, etc climb and can get to your RTT with ease. Lets face it, a RTT is worth a few hundred bucks, but you pay thousands for it. $8000usd for an alu-cab, please give me a break. You also lose your roof rack being that the tent is using the space, so this means you need to put everything in the truck. RTT look sweet that's about it.

stough77

Rank II

Advocate II

I like this topic and hearing everyone's input on what they prefer. As others have stated, the geography of where you're camping does make one more desirable than another. As someone who does most of my camping in the desert, the ground tent has proved reliable and efficient for me many times over. It might sound silly, but there is something exciting about scouting out and locating a place to set up a tent... Another option I'm considering is building a drawer/sleep set up for the inside of my rig. Traveling as light as possible and utilizing some form of roof top storage could make the internal sleeping platform a great alternative to setting up a tent. Especially when you arrive at camp in the dark and want to forego all the work involved with a tent. I've seen many iterations of this and am currently compiling a list of possible configurations.

Reactions: 29er

Curtis2010

Rank III

Advocate II

Panamá
Just picked up my first hammock from Hike Guru on Amazon. Nice, lightweight, convenient bag to pack. Haven't been able to try it yet but I am hoping to next week on vacation.

As an eagle scout I have done my fair share of camping in my past which included only ground tents. I would love to try a RTT although the price of one is what keeps me from trying one out. A good ground tent can be had for only a couple hundred vs the cheapest RTT I could find at one thousand.
Hammocks are great for the right applications...no need to worry about leveling, rocks, crawling critters,flooding, etc. Can be set up for cold weather but get a bit fiddly and bulky...ground tent easier for cold.

I have oversized rain fly and "snake skins" on mine. I can quickly slide the snake skins over the hammock and that gets it up and out of the way for more space under rainfly (also makes for quicker deployment). I use a ground sheet so makes for a nice little sitting space under the rain fly and keeps gear off the ground.

Enviado desde mi SM-J110M mediante Tapatalk

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

I don't think having an opinion different from yours on RTT's constitutes bashing. Opinions from differing points of view help me make decisions.
I'm describing a very selective non-argument point of view which is becoming more apparent. Ah, here's a good example with the emphasis added...

I'm with Michael, I also prefer the ground tent. I cant see paying thousands of dollars for a RTT. People have a misconception that they are safer in a RTT, people forget bears, racoons, etc climb and can get to your RTT with ease. Lets face it, a RTT is worth a few hundred bucks, but you pay thousands for it. $8000usd for an alu-cab, please give me a break. You also lose your roof rack being that the tent is using the space, so this means you need to put everything in the truck. RTT look sweet that's about it.
Sorry; "I can't afford it" thus "it's stupid" isn't an argument.

What makes you think it's worth a few hundred bucks? Have you done research into the materials, construction, and operational cost of producing a RTT? I think you're a little off base.

A lot of times we think things are over priced because they're simply outside our means to afford them. Or we'd simply never pay that price. (I would never pay XYZ for X is pretty reasonable.) Mostly because we lack understanding of how much it truly costs to produce or what it's actual value to us may be.

Recently I had a friend staying with me to help me build a RTT rack and skid plates and bumper. He's a mechanical engineer and fabricator and I had no idea about the amount of time that went into just designing something properly. Talking 8hr days, measurements and designing in SolidWorks. The time spent getting steel, and actually fabricating. really changed my perspective on the prices of things. I had thought for some time a lot of the racks out there were obscenely over priced. Now I realize only a few are over priced, but most are probably not getting rich off the racks they sell and I was really wrong on that front.

That being said, I highly doubt that a RTT is worth a few hundred bucks. Especially since aluminum panels which most have would be a few hundred bucks for just the floor.

Using space on your roof rack is a better argument. You should stick to that complaint.

Or a better argument from the price standpoint is that you just don't feel the return on investment is worth the initial cost for you. That'd be reasonable. Some just don't see it worth paying the price just sleep on a flat surface with a mattress. They feel they can get the same reward with a ground tent and cot for example. That's a valid point I feel.

Everyone's "was it worth the investment" is a little different. And we all tend to like what we have. Thus we tend to rationalize our decisions to ourselves and others.

:wink:

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

I'm describing a very selective non-argument point of view which is becoming more apparent.

A lot of times we think things are over priced because they're simply outside our means to afford them. Or we'd simply never pay that price. (I would never pay XYZ for X is pretty reasonable.) Mostly because we lack understanding of how much it truly costs to produce or what it's actual value to us may be.

Everyone's "was it worth the investment" is a little different. And we all tend to like what we have. Thus we tend to rationalize our decisions to ourselves and others.

Well said.

gargamel05

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bay Area
Member #

I'm describing a very selective non-argument point of view which is becoming more apparent. Ah, here's a good example with the emphasis added...

What makes you think it's worth a few hundred bucks? Have you done research into the materials, construction, and operational cost of producing a RTT? I think you're a little off base.

Recently I had a friend staying with me to help me build a RTT rack and skid plates and bumper. He's a mechanical engineer and fabricator and I had no idea about the amount of time that went into just designing something properly. Talking 8hr days, measurements and designing in SolidWorks. The time spent getting steel, and actually fabricating. really changed my perspective on the prices of things. I had thought for some time a lot of the racks out there were obscenely over priced. Now I realize only a few are over priced, but most are probably not getting rich off the racks they sell and I was really wrong on that front.

That being said, I highly doubt that a RTT is worth a few hundred bucks. Especially since aluminum panels which most have would be a few hundred bucks for just the floor.

Using space on your roof rack is a better argument. You should stick to that complaint.

Or a better argument from the price standpoint is that you just don't feel the return on investment is worth the initial cost for you. That'd be reasonable. Some just don't see it worth paying the price just sleep on a flat surface with a mattress. They feel they can get the same reward with a ground tent and cot for example. That's a valid point I feel.

Amen!!!

Sidetrekked Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas
First Name
David and Dayna
Last Name
Coston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5NXU GMRS:WROE726
Service Branch
USMC
Such a tough question. I grew up sleeping in ground tents like many others have. I have some very nice ground tents and will use them again soon depending on what kind of trip I want to do. My son (currently 3 yoa) and I always go camping together and we both love my rtt which is currently mounted on my trailer. He can climb up and down the ladder with no problems but I watch him close of course. I gotta admit it sure is nice to sleep on that memory foam mattress with regular sheets and blanket that fold up in the tent. Hardly anyone I know or see has one so I get a lot of questions and it's a conversation starter for whatever that's worth. I like it when I go to the coast because it stays a little less sandy. It's also nice because no matter what the terrain is or how much rain you get you're dry and comfortable. As my son gets older I plan on doing some backpacking trips so we'll use a ground tent more then. I have a hammock too but I haven't tried it yet.

The most important thing is I'm single so I can spend whatever I want without having to answer to anyone so I got a rtt, multiple ground tents, and a hammock. :)

There are good and not as good features to any sleep system so get what you want and go out and enjoy it. Can we start the discussion about my arb fridge vs a cooler with ice? Lol

.shark.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Tried the RTT and it’s proven to have some benefits. That being said I love how much justifying people have to do for a RTT lol. If people really think that having a RTT saves them from bears and other animals they’re either really dramatic or delusional. Sleeping on your rig won’t stop a bear from getting in or from being curious, I’ve been camping all over Yellowstone, Baja, Death Valley and the sierra Nevada’s my whole life, I’ve never had a snake or a scorpion or a bear or a mountain lion in my tent. I simply zip up the door when I’m done moving in or out of it and it’s worked wonders [emoji23]

At the end of the day it’s another luxury for camping in comfort and it’s the cool thing right now. Majority of people I see using RTT’s are in regular campgrounds.

To each their own though!