Roof rack storage ideas...let's see them!

• HTML tutorial

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Scavenged a roof basket from an old Xterra and attached it to the Envoy rack.

IMAG1279.jpeg

Reactions: RoarinRow

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

In my avatar...

EAG JK rack on my JKU. It allows me to take freedom panels off with the rack still in place.

Two plano sportmans boxes (Academy Sports has them for $35 each), Feskar D-handle shovel, Feskar 32" ax (both mounted with Quick FIsts), 5 gallon jerry, 7 gallon generic water can, traction boards (which I need to fab a better mount), ARB 2000 awning. Now I have to rearrange it all for my new homemade 4 gallon road shower and I am buying a Rotopax unit to move fuel off the roof and onto the tailgate..

Reactions: Outdoordog

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
This may be sort of off topic but do you guys prefer a roof platform or a basket? I need to build something for my TJ and I was thinking about making a platform as low profile as possible but I don't know if the lack of edges is a huge down side or if it is more of a piece of mind kind of thing.

Reactions: PCO6

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

This may be sort of off topic but do you guys prefer a roof platform or a basket? I need to build something for my TJ and I was thinking about making a platform as low profile as possible but I don't know if the lack of edges is a huge down side or if it is more of a piece of mind kind of thing.
I think a lot depends on what you plan to carry. I am currently building platform racks for my LJ and XJ and they will be low and flat so I can carry kayaks more easily. I think with sufficient latch points they will be fine for carrying more "boxy" items when I want to.

Reactions: Outdoordog

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I think a lot depends on what you plan to carry. I am currently building platform racks for my LJ and XJ and they will be low and flat so I can carry kayaks more easily. I think with sufficient latch points they will be fine for carrying more "boxy" items when I want to.
I was thinking maybe my kayaks or a couple plano tires with lighter stiff in them since it's a long way up there. Maybe just tent and sleeping gear. Sounds exactly like what you are building. Mine is a 06 LJ.

Reactions: PCO6

Granite Ridge Overland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Mount Airy, NC, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
L
Member #

Prinsu Design full-length rack with ARB 2500 awning, RoadShower 4, Front Runner Jerry Can Mount, and Gobi ladder Not shown is the GMRS antenna mount.. Half of the space is covered with FarmTek chicken coop flooring. I also mount the 100W Renogy rigid solar panel up there as needed.

View attachment 68303
I like that alot! Did you use the overlapping grates?

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

Outdoordog

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Big Bear, CA, USA
First Name
Jino
Last Name
Hwang
Member #

I like the look of a roof rack, especially when it's loaded up with some gear. It looks like you could head off in the bush and stay there. From a practical standpoint however, do they make sense? It seems like they would make you top heavy. I also worry that someone will steal stuff off of it. Wind noise. Reduced MPG. Don't get me wrong, they are very cool. Are my other concerns invalid?
I use a bike lock to lock the more expensive stuff. Yes they can still steal items, but itll take them more time.

I don't haul stuff when daily driving, just on trips.