Roof rack storage ideas...let's see them!

• HTML tutorial

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I've posted about mine a few times, but I just love this system.

(EO)2 mounts! They let you snap a case onto a aluminum mount, and lock. I put two huge Pelican 1730 cases on my roof with this system. They are really high quality kit, and make it simple to put a case on the rack. I can also lock the pelican cases, but the best part is, no ratchet straps! I can pop the cases open while locked on the rack and just pull things out.

They are about 14" in height and this last year I added a 100 watt solar setup on gas struts as a wind fairing in front of the cases. I can fit a lot of sleeping gear, the propane water heater for the shower setup, the shower tent and other stuff up there. I have since removed the jerry can holders, but they worked ok up there.

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

Prinsu Design full-length rack with ARB 2500 awning, RoadShower 4, Front Runner Jerry Can Mount, and Gobi ladder Not shown is the GMRS antenna mount.. Half of the space is covered with FarmTek chicken coop flooring. I also mount the 100W Renogy rigid solar panel up there as needed.

View attachment 68303
What awning mounts/brackets are those?

Free-Roemer

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Ammon, ID, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Roemer
Member #

Anyone here know a good substitute for a shovel mount? I’m looking for a front runner compatible mount. But their accessories are so pricey.

Reactions: SashaLee

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Ferndale, WA USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Anyone here know a good substitute for a shovel mount? I’m looking for a front runner compatible mount. But their accessories are so pricey.
I think the best bet is QuickFist mounts [link]. They can be attached to just about anything and used to hold just about anything. You can get an 8 piece pack of mounts from Amazon for $19 [link].

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I use 2” Velcro straps. I want to be able to use the rack for Home Depot runs, so I didn’t want anything permanent sticking up/out. I don’t leave my shovel and axe on all the time, so I don’t worry about UV deterioration and the 2 inch are WAY overkill in terms of working load so I know they’ll hold the load. Cheap/removable/modular.

monjorrow

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

US
Pretty rudimentary here. I just throw all my junk up there and ratchet strap it down. Currently have a predator 2000 watt generator, portable gas fire pit, propane tank for said fire pit, and a 10ft awning. 20181222_153131.jpeg

Niels

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Rankin, ON, Canada
Member #

40x50ish ebay special home to my spare tire, trac boards and a shovel when im out there i want to keep the wieght to a minimum on the roof to motivate the rubber side to stay down it wont let me post a pic unfortunately

H60Flyer

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

NC, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Wolfen
Member #

View attachment 69620 Plenty of people ask me why do I leave the Cvt tent on, even though it’s not that hard to take off. To be honest I just like the fact that if something is going on regarding outdoors or fishing, Iam ready. Does it limit me... yes but does it empower me.. most definitely.. Iam ready and willing for what ever.. the rhino pioneer stay on and the husky cargo boxes remain on the bed covered by the topper.
That is one sick rig you got there!!! Nicely done.

Reactions: Jpat14 and Cpol

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

The Plano Heavy duty Sportsman trunk is for Sale on Amazon. $34.52 with free shipping with Prime.
I have one of those. My complaint is that I would prefer a hinge on one side of the lid. The lids have latches on both side and the lid comes completely off. Be better for me to be able to open the lid without having to remove it. Seems like that kind of case is expensive and not offered in this size by Plano.