Roof rack storage ideas...let's see them!

• HTML tutorial

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

I just bought and installed my craigslist Kargo Master roof rack. I'm not sure what to put up there now. My custom back bumper holds my HiLift, and spair tire. I guess I could put a shovel and axe...LED lights too. What are the rest of you overlanders putting up there? And how are you securing it? Let's see those picures!

Attachments

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I use Plano sportsman tubs modified with weatherstripping to seal them. Two 108 quarts fit right now as my full size spare has to reside on the roof until I build a swing out for it. They hold 2 tents, 5 sleeping bags, 5 sleeping pads and 5 Alite style camp chairs. I just use ratchet straps to tie them down. IMG_7939.JPG

SVgarage

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Livermore, California
First Name
Eddy
Last Name
Louis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BOH
Planning on getting a cargo rack soon to hang an awning on and carry traction boards.

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Old pictures but I’m a big fan of getting creative with Fourtreks mounts to use more of the basket than they intended. It’s also no secret that I used CAD to get the most out of my extended Yakima.

580A3CFC-ED28-4F4A-B847-DB48BF9EF2CB.jpeg 612D6B3E-D732-44B3-BCB5-FB376E7BA81D.jpeg

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

IMG_0623.JPG
IMG_0624.JPG
Left box contains, gloves, my recovery pulleys, soft shackles, jumper cables, fuel syphon hose, chair, table, a clean change of clothes.

IMG_0621.JPG
Right box contains my tree strap, bubba rope, a blanket, pillow, two towels, and my tire repair/air compressor bag.

IMG_9936.JPG
All my daily roof accessories are very carefully chosen so I don’t get too tall to fit in my parking garage at work. Taller things like large pelicans, Jerry cans, and rooftop tents get mounted just before trips and removed upon my return.

Dunnage Garage

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Grand Island, Nebraska
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Piercy
Member #

I looked at one similar to the middle box today. I just wasn't sure how I would like it and at $100.00. I decided against it...at least for today.

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

View attachment 66051
View attachment 66052
Left box contains, gloves, my recovery pulleys, soft shackles, jumper cables, fuel syphon hose, chair, table, a clean change of clothes.

View attachment 66053
Right box contains my tree strap, bubba rope, a blanket, pillow, two towels, and my tire repair/air compressor bag.

View attachment 66054
All my daily roof accessories are very carefully chosen so I don’t get too tall to fit in my parking garage at work. Taller things like large pelicans, Jerry cans, and rooftop tents get mounted just before trips and removed upon my return.
Are those Pelican cases?

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Are those Pelican cases?
They are Plano "all weather tactical cases"

Amazon links to both below-

The 42" one (left)- http://a.co/d/gvSIf9b

The 36" one (right)- http://a.co/d/hQFy95k

Amazon ran a daily deal on them last winter and I got both for just under $110 shipped to my door. Cheapest I could find weather resistant cases that were under 6 inches in overall height. :)

Nomadik Nova

Rank VI
Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

They are Plano "all weather tactical cases"

Amazon links to both below-

The 42" one (left)- http://a.co/d/gvSIf9b

The 36" one (right)- http://a.co/d/hQFy95k

Amazon ran a daily deal on them last winter and I got both for just under $110 shipped to my door. Cheapest I could find weather resistant cases that were under 6 inches in overall height. :)
Both for $110 shipped is a deal. I'll be keeping my eye out on Amazon for that. :)

Texasjku

Rank 0

Traveler I

Houston
View attachment 66051
View attachment 66052

View attachment 66053

View attachment 66054
Sdelete- How are the storage boxes mounted? I have a new pioneer platform I just got.

systemdelete

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Nashville, TN
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Rumbaugh
Member #

Sdelete- How are the storage boxes mounted? I have a new pioneer platform I just got.
Four carriage bolts per case, nuts, and washers with a dab of silicone. (the right size bolt's square shoulder will work in the track so long as you don't over torque them.) Width between them is determined by measuring the rack's outside 2 slots X=rack slots for mounting along the edges, Y= spaced to catch two of the middle slots if I want to turn the cases 90 degrees at some point.

Long term plan is to swap the hardware to stainless hammer T nuts/studs, so I don't have to slide the cases to the end of the tracks to move them, I just have to find the right sizes and a vendor willing to sell me less than 1000 of each lol.

Last edited:

cody_roberts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

US
First Name
Cody
Last Name
Roberts
Member #

I've got a shovel , axe and my RTT. When on trips , a 5 gal gas can and 16 gallon water tank go up top. For storage I use the Costco utility containers. Have been very durable and very affordable. On my xj rack , I had everything! 20180706_141215~2.jpeg20180706_141225.jpeg20151126_141031~2.jpeg20140829_152601.jpeg

Reactions: Correus

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

Prinsu Design full-length rack with ARB 2500 awning, RoadShower 4, Front Runner Jerry Can Mount, and Gobi ladder Not shown is the GMRS antenna mount.. Half of the space is covered with FarmTek chicken coop flooring. I also mount the 100W Renogy rigid solar panel up there as needed.

31946176_1258102084319694_8170082177103429632_o.jpg