Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

Hey everyone! I'm trying to decide on a roof rack (model and size) for my stock 2018 4Runner TRDOR. I believe in adding as little additional weight as possible to my truck, though sometimes there's a trade-off with functionality. I also believe asking people with experience is a great way to learn, so here I am.

We recently purchased a Gazelle T4Plus tent (amazing!) and though it fits nicely inside the 4Runner, we will need the space when we go on longer trips. I think the tent, a soft waterproof bag with our sleeping bags and one with our cots, can all go snuggly on the roof, leaving a lot of space down inside the truck. The Gazelle's bag is 60 inches long, which is about the length of a 3/4 roof rack. Apart from those bags, I might also store a pair of Maxtracks plus a small Ridgid box with compressor or recovery gear. I also want to keep everything as low as possible, since I park in an underground garage.

Anyway... I've been looking at solutions, ranging from LFD crossbars to 3/4 and Fullsize roofracks (mostly Prinsu, but open to other options).

The LFDs are a cheap option, but if I'm already considering transitioning to a rack down the line, it makes more sense to just get the rack now. I love how the Prinsu 3/4 looks, and it fits my current "needs", but I wonder if I'll miss the space at the front afforded by the Full size rack. There's a $200 difference in both, which could go towards some maxtracks or compressor gear, for instance.

As I mentioned, I'd rather keep the truck light and the CG low, but don't want to just throw my bags on the roof and tie them, LOL.

In your experience, how do you feel about roof racks? If you went 3/4, why? and do you ever miss the additional space from a full rack? Or if you went Full, is your rack mostly empty?

Appreciate any input, links, lectures and general information ;-)

Thanks!

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Hey everyone! I'm trying to decide on a roof rack (model and size) for my stock 2018 4Runner TRDOR. I believe in adding as little additional weight as possible to my truck, though sometimes there's a trade-off with functionality. I also believe asking people with experience is a great way to learn, so here I am.

We recently purchased a Gazelle T4Plus tent (amazing!) and though it fits nicely inside the 4Runner, we will need the space when we go on longer trips. I think the tent, a soft waterproof bag with our sleeping bags and one with our cots, can all go snuggly on the roof, leaving a lot of space down inside the truck. The Gazelle's bag is 60 inches long, which is about the length of a 3/4 roof rack. Apart from those bags, I might also store a pair of Maxtracks plus a small Ridgid box with compressor or recovery gear. I also want to keep everything as low as possible, since I park in an underground garage.

Anyway... I've been looking at solutions, ranging from LFD crossbars to 3/4 and Fullsize roofracks (mostly Prinsu, but open to other options).

The LFDs are a cheap option, but if I'm already considering transitioning to a rack down the line, it makes more sense to just get the rack now. I love how the Prinsu 3/4 looks, and it fits my current "needs", but I wonder if I'll miss the space at the front afforded by the Full size rack. There's a $200 difference in both, which could go towards some maxtracks or compressor gear, for instance.

As I mentioned, I'd rather keep the truck light and the CG low, but don't want to just throw my bags on the roof and tie them, LOL.

In your experience, how do you feel about roof racks? If you went 3/4, why? and do you ever miss the additional space from a full rack? Or if you went Full, is your rack mostly empty?

Appreciate any input, links, lectures and general information ;-)

Thanks!
We strap our T4 Plus to the factory roof rack on our 2004 4Runner

Attachments

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

We strap our T4 Plus to the factory roof rack on our 2004 4Runner
I remember that picture ;-) I was about to ask you if you just throw it on the roof or do you have any kind of crossbars? What are you using to strap it with? This would solve my immediate needs... but I do want a more permanent solution long term.

Thanks!

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I remember that picture ;-) I was about to ask you if you just throw it on the roof or do you have any kind of crossbars? What are you using to strap it with? This would solve my immediate needs... but I do want a more permanent solution long term.

Thanks!
I use ratchet straps to hold it down on the factory cross bars, then strap down my table and chairs... finally I have a bungee net that I use as a secondary system in case anything wiggles loose to give myself a few extra seconds to pull over in a whoops moment... not that I have ever had a whoops moment, but ya know... stuff happens.

like you we are looking for a roof rack, but until @KRose finds the one she loves that allows us to still use the sun roof we will keep using the cross bars.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
We have a full length rack, which is mounted to the standard roof rail points, making it secure. We take it off when we're at home and doing short trips, and mount it for "big trips".

A key advantage is that when we want the maximum kit on the rack it's as low as possible, keeping wind resistance down, and distributing the load as much as possible.

So, on a big trip we'll carry folding camp chairs, sand ladders, and a lightweight shovel, which take up the central area. For the last "big trip" we carried several fuel cans, in an area at the rear (designed for this); they were normally empty, so adding very little weight, and when we filled them (for only a couple of trajectories) we drained them as soon as we could. We have carried a second spare wheel/tyre, although our experience has been that this is really not needed, and this goes at the front (to spread the load). We also carry rubbish/garbage on the rack - we don;t accumulate much, but it's better on the roof than inside the vehicle. In areas where animals have a tendency to ransack the rubbish/garbage then this needs to be managed.

So, when we've carried all of the above we needed the full rack, and the additional weight isn't much, so it made sense to have a full rack.

For the next "big trip" we'll carry the folding camp chairs, sand ladders, and shovel; if we need to plan on extra fuel we'll carry the fuel cans (depending on the overall trip we might leave buying these until just before the trajectory/ies which need the extra fuel, and that's porbably it, so there'll be space available if needed . In fact we're planning to redesign the rack to make it more efficient, however I'm sure that it'll still be full length, simply better designed.

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

We have a full length rack, which is mounted to the standard roof rail points, making it secure. We take it off when we're at home and doing short trips, and mount it for "big trips".
Thanks! I saw some racks that attach to the factory rails, but they tend to be a bit too high, and due to storage constraints and would need to keep my rack in place (no place to remove it or store it).

cgranier

Rank VI

Trail Blazer II

Miami, FL, USA
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Granier
Member #

like you we are looking for a roof rack, but until @KRose finds the one she loves that allows us to still use the sun roof we will keep using the cross bars.
Many of the full racks with crossbars (as opposed to lengthwise-bars) allow for an opening at the sunroof spot.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Thanks! I saw some racks that attach to the factory rails, but they tend to be a bit too high, and due to storage constraints and would need to keep my rack in place (no place to remove it or store it).
We designed ours for our circumstances. High enough to allow sunroof tilt, as low as possible otherwise. The one disadvantage is that when travelling, although we can open (tilt or slide) the sunroof the rack does reduce visibility upwards. Not much we can do about that (it's a "full length" sun roof) however for ventilation it's OK.

An option (which we've considered) is to design a rack which has permanently fixed side rails, and a main rack which bolts to the side rails whenever needed, so we leave the rails attached all the time and take the other piece off when at home - this could be easy to do, and would potentially be a simple job. Obviously if you don;t have the space to store the rack (whether the whole thing or the separate main part) then it wouldn;t help.

Reactions: M Rose and cgranier

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Roof rack makes it harder for the bear to come through the open sun roof! Been looking at some for my Tacoma. Good ones are asspensive! I need more storage for the stuff one doesn't need everyday or hopefully not at all (recovery gear) and stuff to lock down in pelican cases. Try to stay light and aero but I don't think my gas mileage could get much worse. Welded aluminum frame with adjustable cross channels with easy attachment system. Some sellers have lots of accessories to attach your stuff like trax, jerry cans, jacks, etc. Easy to drop $1200 with a few accessories added. Also, it sounds like wind noise and vibration can be an issue so something with the faring/deflectors in front might be something to consider.

Reactions: cgranier