US Rocky Mountain Rocky Mountain Region August Meet-Up- UTAH - Southern Mountains and Barracks!

• HTML tutorial

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Camping with fellow OB members in the Southern Utah mountains. Campsite will be accessible by any SUV/4WD vehicle, exact location will be posted at a later date, I just want to get it on the calendar so we can get a gauge of how many people will be attending and I'll pick a spot accordingly so PLEASE RSVP! Its ok if plans change... but we don't want to pick a spot and then be squished. There is a vast variety of terrain available down here for exploration and fun for the whole family.

The Barracks trail can be run as an in and out from the east or a full west -> east. Either way there will be something like 20 water crossings (expect mid wheel at deepest point, no extra diff breathers required) and It can be navigated is most any 4wd vehicle.. there are multiple options for obstacles to accommodate all rigs. We will also pass "the belly of the dragon" (see photo) its a fun tunnel under the highway and a great place to beat the heat. There are a lot of other fun things nearby we can explore in the desert and mountains.

Please feel free to ask questions! For navigation purposes to gauge your travel time and mileage I put the rally point in a generally centralized location of the camping options. I will update with an exact point as the event gets closer.

View Rally Point
Reactions: Neal A. Tew

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

Like you suggested I RSVP'd for a placeholder. I am a hard maybe and as the time approaches I will have a better idea! Sounds like a great time and all of the events you have been a part of have been fun, safe and memorable.

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

Like you suggested I RSVP'd for a placeholder. I am a hard maybe and as the time approaches I will have a better idea! Sounds like a great time and all of the events you have been a part of have been fun, safe and memorable.

NetDep

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

St. George, UT, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
G
Member #

Cuffs

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

La Verkin, UT, USA
First Name
Wendi
Last Name
Merritt
Member #

Not committing to this one quite yet. And when I do, it will be last minute... We'll be on vacay for 2 weeks and just getting home a couple days before this...

MarlinJames

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Yuma, AZ, USA
First Name
Marlin
Last Name
Lawrenson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K17WRA
Hey Aaron, thanks for putting this together. I should be able to get the time off from work.

Knitron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Clearfield, UT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EBG
Not committing to this one quite yet. And when I do, it will be last minute... We\'ll be on vacay for 2 weeks and just getting home a couple days before this...
If not remember to call in sick! LOL

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Hey guys! We're 10 days out from this exciting meetup! Excited to hang out with Ya'll. Hopefully you've had a chance to finalize your plans for that weekend and will be able to join us! If so.. remember to RSVP to help us keep a count of who is coming so we can make sure there are spots for everyone, if you don't RSVP and decide to come last minute.. please do, don't let that stop you from showing up. Details to follow on the Saturday trail run for those that don't want to camp but join up on the trail. Stay tuned.. remember to outfit and explore!

A-Aron

Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
The week has arrived, I went up this last weekend and scouted a few good spots for the crew... We'll be off of Forest Road 1712, there are a few spots that will be great, look for my trailer. The site is 3.8 Miles from what google calls "Long Valley Junction".. Coordinates for the area are: 37.498738, -112.556190 . It is primitive on Dixie National forest land and I did not have Cell Service.. Verizon may have better luck. There is Cell service at Tod's (gas station at long valley junction 3.8 miles away. Elevation is just under 8k feet, weather outlook is dry and sunny, highs in the mid to high 70s and lows in the mid to high 40s.. It will be much warmer for our trail run Saturday and there will be lots of opportunities to get wet. I am taking my trailer up on Wednesday to ensure we get our spot as this Saturday is the start of the Bow hunt so the area may have a lot of extra traffic. Excited to see everyone! Safe travels!

Assuming you're traveling south on Hwy 89. (google recommended route)
-Turn West at Long Valley Junction and drive till you see the Red "Dowse Campfires" sign (Aprox 3 miles - distance may vary depending on the size of your tires.. lol)
-Turn right (North), you'll soon come to a junction of dark and lighter dirt roads, stay to the right on the lighter color... (see photo below) Stay on this road till you see my trailer.turn off label.jpgStay Right.jpg

Cuffs

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

La Verkin, UT, USA
First Name
Wendi
Last Name
Merritt
Member #

Phew! Been out of pocket on vacation for over 2 weeks in beautiful Michigan! Not sure if we can commit to this just yet as we literally got in after midnight last night and have lots to catch up on! its on the calendar in case we can clear our schedule!