Rank III

Enthusiast II

Whispering Pines, North Carolina, United States
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
MacKrell
Member #

Those are my two main concerns, road closures and finding campsites big enough to accommodate multiple rigs. I’m going to dive into the route and campsites to see what I can figure out from online resources. From what I’ve read and watched on YouTube, it looks like most of the traverse can be done in 2WD but there are sections where 4wd and off-road tires become necessary especially if it rains. Charlie’s Creek trail is one that has the most significant water crossing and a spot where 4WD is recommended. If possible and if we have time I would love to hit up some of the offshoot out and back trails along the traverse as those tend to be be the more moderate trails. I also have a good amount of recovery gear including a 12.5k winch on my rig. Would recommend having some rated recovery points somewhere on your rig. Can be as simple as a trailer receiver shackle like this: Rhino USA Shackle Hitch Receiver (Fits 2" Receivers) Best Towing Accessories for Trucks, Jeep, Toyota & More - Connect Your Rhino Tow Strap for Vehicle Recovery, Mounts to 2" Receiver Hitches https://a.co/d/4mN7z9I

I’ll post up a list of items I’m bringing as trip gets a little closer.

Reactions: zcostilla

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

According to Cherry Hill CG website it does not open until April 1st. Was not sure if it was just a rally point or if you were planning to stay Friday night there.
That is just the local rally point. We will have a few hours drive from Charlotte, but I hope to get an early start so we can get to a good dispersed camp site. I have some “official” campgrounds marked in onX as backup locations so we don’t have to search with no service.

Reactions: bcmedicxj

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

The Rally Point has filled up very quickly! My purpose for keeping the group to 6 rigs is to allow us to stay together - on trail and in camp. A few people have shown interest but not RSVP’d. A few have said they can only do Friday and Saturday. If anyone is willing to be a trail boss for those who cannot stay the whole weekend I can increase the number of rigs to 12. That way the 2 day group can go at their own pace and camp together and the 4 day group can do the same, but separately.

If you are interested in leading the 2-day group please reach out to me in a direct message.

LumixLab

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Young Harris, Georgia, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Mauldin
Member #

The Rally Point has filled up very quickly! My purpose for keeping the group to 6 rigs is to allow us to stay together - on trail and in camp. A few people have shown interest but not RSVP’d. A few have said they can only do Friday and Saturday. If anyone is willing to be a trail boss for those who cannot stay the whole weekend I can increase the number of rigs to 12. That way the 2 day group can go at their own pace and camp together and the 4 day group can do the same, but separately.

If you are interested in leading the 2-day group please reach out to me in a direct message.
Eric, don't include me in your count esp for campsites. I'd really like to meetup with you guys and help you out any way I can. My friends and I regularly ride many of the roads that make up the traverse to get to other destinations. Depending on the time you have available and the size of your group I can point out some of the interesting points close by. In fact, I do most of my exploring during the week so as to leave more room for the working guys enjoying a weekend out. I'd like to plan to meet you at the sites you decide to camp at and then join your ride through out the day if possible.

Reactions: Mack88DO

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

Only 2 RSVP spots left!
Spots 1-6 are fist choice. Spots 7-12 are on the waitlist unless someone is willing to be the trail boss/leader of a second group.

If you are willing to be a leader, please direct message me so we can all coordinate.

Reactions: Sixstrings93

Sixstrings93

Rank IV

Advocate III

Greer, Greenville County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Peake
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Veteran
Only 2 RSVP spots left!
Spots 1-6 are fist choice. Spots 7-12 are on the waitlist unless someone is willing to be the trail boss/leader of a second group.

If you are willing to be a leader, please direct message me so we can all coordinate.
I’ll pull my RSVP for someone that would want to go for the full days

Bugnut

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Laven
Member #

I'd like to join, but can't go for full weekend. Need to be back home for work Monday, so would need to mossy back late Sunday.

I'm in the Greenville area and can meet up later Friday if that's possible?

Looks like spots are all taken?

Mike

Reactions: zcostilla

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

The trip has been updated with 12 Rigs in 2 groups. Who will get the last RSVP spot? If you are not on the RSVP get it before it's gone!

CampDads

Rank VII

Steward I

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Edmiston
Member #

Service Branch
Marine Corps
Rather than Discord, I use GroupMe for all group trips, planning and such. (Have 6 active group trips for this year) and multiple off-road/overland groups who use it.

I have set up a chat with organized sections for planning, groups 1&2 and media. Can add additional as needed.

You're invited to my new group 'OB1: GA Traverse' on GroupMe. Click here to join: GroupMe

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
Would like to go for the Friday through Sunday parts, I am coming from Asheville. Anybody planning on going for the first half and then breaking off Sunday to head back?
Hey Chad - I will be leaving Burnsville on Friday, retuning Sunday as well. When are you planning on leaving?