Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

Join us for 4 days and 3 nights as we explore the North Georgia mountains.

"The Georgia Traverse is a collection of county, state and Forest Service roads that comprise a (mostly) off-pavement route across North Georgia. It is designed to be traveled east to west, beginning at... the Georgia / South Carolina border... visits North Carolina and Tennessee before ending at the Georgia / Alabama border." - georgiaoverland.com

DirtBag Overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Candler NC
First Name
Cameron
Last Name
Brantley
Member #

That’ll be a fun trip. Trey Mtn is a blast. We’re heading out west to southern Utah (Capitol Reef, Zion, etc.) the same week. Catch up to y’all another time.

Reactions: Carnage_95YJ

LumixLab

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Young Harris, Georgia, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Mauldin
Member #

Hey guys, it's cool to see when a group plans to come up this way. I don't want to be a spoiler but I also don't want you to get up here and be frustrated with seasonal road closures. Remember that our seasonal roads open March 15. I drive the forest roads of this area (N Georgia, W NC, SE Tennessee) weekly and honestly I don't recall the exact route of the traverse. I do know that some of the original roads Abe's Gap FR32-C, and FR64 (Cohutta) are seasonal and are closed. Trey Mountain FR79 has been closed for about 5 years and is rumored to be a permanent closure due to severe storm damage. Just make sure you double check the U.S. Forestry site for updates. The four districts of N Georgia can be found here under the MVUM link.. Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest - Maps & Publications. Trey Mt has been closed so long that it is listed on the Alert pages. Again, not wanting to spoil it just check your route! If I can help you out please feel free to reach out.

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

Hey guys, it's cool to see when a group plans to come up this way. I don't want to be a spoiler but I also don't want you to get up here and be frustrated with seasonal road closures. Remember that our seasonal roads open March 15. I drive the forest roads of this area (N Georgia, W NC, SE Tennessee) weekly and honestly I don't recall the exact route of the traverse. I do know that some of the original roads Abe's Gap FR32-C, and FR64 (Cohutta) are seasonal and are closed. Trey Mountain FR79 has been closed for about 5 years and is rumored to be a permanent closure due to severe storm damage. Just make sure you double check the U.S. Forestry site for updates. The four districts of N Georgia can be found here under the MVUM link.. Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest - Maps & Publications. Trey Mt has been closed so long that it is listed on the Alert pages. Again, not wanting to spoil it just check your route! If I can help you out please feel free to reach out.
Thank you! This is the kind of info I’ve been looking for. We will definitely do some more research in the next few weeks.

LumixLab

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Young Harris, Georgia, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Mauldin
Member #

Thank you! This is the kind of info I’ve been looking for. We will definitely do some more research in the next few weeks.
I'm centrally located along the traverse so if you don't find what you're looking for on the forestry sites I'm close enough to most of these roads that I can take a day and drive out for a visual if needed. By the way, I retired from Charlotte-Mecklenburg in Feb '2015 to move up here. I lived in Waxhaw and know your Caribou very well! I'll do my best to connect with you guys when you make it up here.

Sixstrings93

Rank IV

Advocate III

Greer, Greenville County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Peake
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Veteran
Sounds sick! I’m definitely interested, just trying to make sure a stock Tacoma can run it since I trained my built Jeep in. Looking at the site, it “looks” like it’s mostly fire roads which shouldn’t be an issue, mud doesn’t scare me, so long as there’s at least one winch just in case.

That said, I’d be able to meet at the campground Friday afternoon and run until Sunday morning. I have class during the week.

Reactions: zcostilla

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

Sounds sick! I’m definitely interested, just trying to make sure a stock Tacoma can run it since I trained my built Jeep in. Looking at the site, it “looks” like it’s mostly fire roads which shouldn’t be an issue, mud doesn’t scare me, so long as there’s at least one winch just in case.

That said, I’d be able to meet at the campground Friday afternoon and run until Sunday morning. I have class during the week.
We are still finalizing details. It is a few hours drive from Charlotte.

Reactions: Sixstrings93

Sixstrings93

Rank IV

Advocate III

Greer, Greenville County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Peake
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Veteran

We are still finalizing details. It is a few hours drive from Charlotte.
Yep. The campground is closer to me, since I’m in the Greenville SC area

Carnage_95YJ

Rank VII

Expedition Master I

Matthews, North Carolina
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Casaburro
Member #

I'm centrally located along the traverse so if you don't find what you're looking for on the forestry sites I'm close enough to most of these roads that I can take a day and drive out for a visual if needed. By the way, I retired from Charlotte-Mecklenburg in Feb '2015 to move up here. I lived in Waxhaw and know your Caribou very well! I'll do my best to connect with you guys when you make it up here.
We would love to have you along and/or at the Rigs & Coffee!

bcmedicxj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Vonore, TN, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRKP 397 Groundhog
Service Branch
EMS
Sounds like a great trip! I won't know if I can rsvp until midweek.

Reactions: Carnage_95YJ

bcmedicxj

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Vonore, TN, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Collins
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRKP 397 Groundhog
Service Branch
EMS
According to Cherry Hill CG website it does not open until April 1st. Was not sure if it was just a rally point or if you were planning to stay Friday night there.

Reactions: zcostilla

Razorwalker

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Franklin, NC, USA
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
Lynch
Member #

I would love to go, as this is so close to me, but I am only a few weeks out of major surgery, so I must pass on this one. If you happen to do another one in the spring or summer, please be sure to let me know and I will do my best to attend that one :) You guys have fun and be safe )

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
There are other options in the area for dispersed -like camping. There is CG at Burrell's Ford. Campsites for tenting are about 1/4 mi. from parking lot. Parking lot might be an option but not level. There is a place on Hwy 28 at Long Bottom Ford and up a nd down that dead end road. Not an y large campsites that I remember. Maybe big enough for three vehicles. Also, a little out of the way but, there is a large parking lot that may be an option, at Lower Whitewater Falls Trailhead. They have some security around the Bad Creek facilities but it may be doable. I can take my hammock over in the woods if need be. Those are the closest to the start that I have some familiarity with.