Spirit Lake, Idaho, United States
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG7FW
Current setup is a 2006 Wrangler LJR with a Tentrax trailer.
Love it. How light is that trailer tent?
Empty it supposedly weighs about 600lbs. Fully loaded the way it is now it’s probably around 850lbs. The LJ (TJ Unlimited) has the old 4.0 I6 which is dependable as ever but not terribly powerful. It tows it fine but we do downshift out of OD on any hills.

Reactions: Bengt N

toolsforwar

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Point Pleasant, NJ
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Perkins
Member #

@toolsforwar That a Montero, or a Pajero? Don't know my Mitsubishi's too well, but I know they're very capable. Looking sharp!
montero/pajero same thing yeah it's a 93 base model. no plastic cladding, it's got manual locks and windows pretty bare bones. lift and 33s she's super capable and its been a labor of love over the years with it. owed for about 8 years or so.

slowlane

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Bender
Sorry couldn't resist. Here's my original adventure ride from almost 20 years ago. 1982 Honda C70 Passport with a beat-up thrift store trunk mounted to the rear rack. Fit a tent, sleeping bag, a little food and not much else. Yep, it handled like crap with the trunk loaded. This picture was taken shortly after sinking to the exhaust on a muddy stretch of road and having to drag the Honda out. You can still see bits of mud and grass poking out from the bottom of the rear fender. The picture looks ancient because it was shot with black and white film in a 35mm camera that I developed in the college darkroom for photography class. I rode this scooter all over the backroads of central Kansas. Put over 35,000 miles on the little Honda and still have it, though it spends most of the time sitting in the corner of the garage these days.

Last edited:

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
Sorry couldn't resist. Here's my original adventure ride from almost 20 years ago. 1982 Honda C70 Passport with a beat-up thrift store trunk mounted to the rear rack. Fit a tent, sleeping bag, a little food and not much else. Yep, it handled like crap with the trunk loaded. This picture was taken shortly after sinking to the exhaust on a muddy stretch of road and having to drag the Honda out. You can still see bits of mud and grass poking out from the bottom of the rear fender. The picture looks ancient because it was shot with black and white film in a 35mm camera that I developed in the college darkroom for photography class. I rode this scooter all over the backroads of central Kansas. Put over 35,000 miles on the little Honda and still have it, though it spends most of the time sitting in the corner of the garage these days.

Totally Cool!

Reactions: slowlane

Bengt N

Rank VII

Member III

Sparreholm, Södermanland, Sweden
First Name
Bengt
Last Name
Nordrup
Member #

Hallo Tim
Welcome to OBO
Greetings from Sweden
WBR
Bengt N

Reactions: DaleRF and slowlane

WesternDirtRoads

Rank VI

Influencer I

Hayward, CA, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Zacharoff
Member #

Service Branch
Army Sergeant
Two new TOYO Open Country 10 ply LT M+S Rough Terrain (RT) 265 70r17 (back only) tires ($650) and 4 wheel alignment (Got the unlimited lifetime alignment $150). Best of two removed became spare on roof. Ready to roll.

Attachments

Last edited:

slowlane

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Bender
Amazing photo. Rt 50 is epic and not many know it's history.
Zim
Thanks. That picture is one of my favorites I have of the VW. I've driven the stretch of US-50 through KS, CO, UT, and NV three times now. I really enjoy it. Can't say that I know much of its history, but I do know that it is one of the older cross-country highway routes. I enjoy 50 because at least on the sections of it that I have driven, it doesn't pass through many large towns.